General Canadian Politics eh.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Den u shoulda known

your ass shoulda called somebody!!!’
I used to be so full of hope.

I'd still be blissfully unaware of all of this if I'd never done my gun safety course. All the government's bullshit just goes right on display during that.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
The federal ethics watchdog is reviewing a request to investigate Prime Minister Justin Trudeau over payments his MPs offices made to a company owned by his friend.

Conservative MP Michael Barrett wrote to ethics commissioner Mario Dion asking he launch an inquiry into the prime minister's possible involvement in awarding contracts to Data Sciences Inc.

The company was founded by Tom Pitfield, a childhood friend of Trudeau's, who served as the Liberal party's chief digital strategist during the 2015 and 2019 election campaigns.

The Globe and Mail reported last month that MPs’ expenditure reports showed most of the Liberal caucus had paid money through their office budgets to the company, which has also been hired to provide digital services to the Liberal Party of Canada.

Trudeau has said caucus members use Data Sciences for their constituency work and he and the party both say there is a complete separation between political and parliamentary business.

In his letter to Dion, which Barrett shared on social media,he asked the commissioner to investigate Trudeau's role in the contracts to see if he violated the conflict of interest code for members of Parliament.

He requested the watchdog probe the section where MPs are prohibited from acting in such a way that furthers the interests of family members or another person or entity.

A request for comment from the Prime Minister's Office was not immediately returned.

Dion replied in his own letter Wednesdaythat the criteria for making such a request has been met, and he has forwarded it on to the prime minister.

A parliamentary committee recently debated whether to launch its own investigation into the matter, but nothing was decided after meeting for five hours.

During that time, Liberal MP and committee vice-chair Brenda Shanahan, told members her office uses the Montreal-based company for technical support in both French and English.

She also panned the Conservatives' attempts to hear testimony from Pitfield and learn more details about what work the company does for MPs as a "fake scandal."

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
It is, along with the BBC and ABC. Not a comment on its editorial, but its financial structure.
care to elaborate because the cbc is pretty mucha black hole of tax dollars

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
One of the reasons to have your media system designated as a public good is to insulate it from market pressures. In other words, the state can absorb a loss and should do so when needed to maintain a media system. In the private model of media ownership, content is much more drastically affected as it has to routinely compete against market pressures and fight to stay solvent, often leading to consolidations of media companies and monopolies like we have here in the US.

M

member 1013

It’s a great financial structure

for the cbc
im a public good

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
the CBC would sink like a rock the moment public funding would be removed . there is not one thing that they make that actually turns a profit . they get 1.2 billion a year to piss away on series no one watches and anne murray christmas specials .

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
the CBC would sink like a rock the moment public funding would be removed . there is not one thing that they make that actually turns a profit . they get 1.2 billion a year to piss away on series no one watches and anne murray christmas specials .
I'm ashamed to publicly admit this, but I don't hate some of their sitcoms. That being said, your comment is still accurate.