Captains of Crush grippers

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I have decent grip strength, but would like to improve it to help with gripping/control when grappling. I don't currently do any specific grip training other than pull ups, cleans and deadlifts without straps. Are the Captains of Crush grippers a decent tool for increasing grip strength, and if so which ones would you recommend starting with for a 180lb intermediate grappler of average strength?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Yes but they contributed to my tennis elbow. Can't recommend a 1.5 or a 2 cos don't know how strong you are. I got a variable one that's quite cool.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
I worked my way from a .5 to a 2 but stopped using them. I wanted to build my forearms but I decided to find exercises that sucked less.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
My grip strength has improved significantly since I switched to body weight exercises (probably the fat bars I use) and BJJ. My grip is very hard to break and everyone notices how strong I am.

I haven't used my CoC grippers for years. I tried them out the other day and if anything, my strength on them has decreased. So there isn't a big correlation for me. I think its because real world grip strength relies on your fingers, right to the tip, whereas grippers do not. They are actually a very obscure movement.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
alot of climbers and some BJJ people do pull ups on wooden beams, rope climbing-- w/w/o legs. upside down etc. Frank Gotch bodyweight stuff with a lot of handstand/ bridging type stuff. More compound i.e. natural movements rather than isolation type COC. I think occasional negatives with the COC's can help, but it is possible to overdo it.

battleworn

Feb 24, 2017
I just added them in but started low with the point 5 120 lb one. I do the rope climbing and various other work but i wanted to focus on my grip a bit more so i added them in. Just started so we'll see how it develops.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I just added them in but started low with the point 5 120 lb one. I do the rope climbing and various other work but i wanted to focus on my grip a bit more so i added them in. Just started so we'll see how it develops.
Post back some updates. I have been just doing deadlifts, cleans and pull-ups without straps and using the gi over the bar or jits grips for weighted rows and pulldowns. I have not gotten any Captains of Crush yet, but I am still thinking about it.

battleworn

Feb 24, 2017
I think i overdid it a bit. Was doing them constantly. I have to settle into a routine that integrates them effectively into what i am doing as I am about to read Brookfields Mastery of Hand Strength to get some pointers. I am trying to just add them into my regular work to see if it helps.