General Car detailing TME

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Bought my first half decent car (Lexus RX400H) since having kids so I like spending half a day detailing it.

Im up on clay barring, not letting water spots dry, use an upmarket shampoo but would like to hear any tips.

Bonus question, how the fuck do you clean the inside of a really deep (angular) windshield?

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I can offer no help here.
I bought my truck in 2001. Haven't washed it yet.

I keep the inside mostly clean. I'm not a neanderthal.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Bought my first half decent car (Lexus RX400H) since having kids so I like spending half a day detailing it.

Im up on clay barring, not letting water spots dry, use an upmarket shampoo but would like to hear any tips.

Bonus question, how the fuck do you clean the inside of a really deep (angular) windshield?

I have no suggestions because that isn't one of my duties. But if you ever need to hide a scratch, lemme know.

Lol

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Always use a fine chamois. My dad had an Old Chevelle with a custom, dark green, double metal flake paint job. Green leather interior. The rare occasion we'd go out in it, he always parked it in the shade, no matter how far we had to walk after. And it seemed like he bought a new chamois for every time he washed it. It's always stuck with me.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Do you even have Mexicans bro?

They would fuck it up for sure

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Always use a fine chamois. My dad had an Old Chevelle with a custom, dark green, double metal flake paint job. Green leather interior. The rare occasion we'd go out in it, he always parked it in the shade, no matter how far we had to walk after. And it seemed like he bought a new chamois for every time he washed it. It's always stuck with me.
Fucking this, I didnt know about chamois and bought a wipe cloth that could be used for drying the exterior and interior cleaning. Microfibre cloth the size of tabloid newspaper cost me near $50. Worked great. Then I read about chamois, bought two $3 each yesterday at supercheap autos and it was like trying to dry the car with a plastic garbage bag with holes in it. Useless.

Ill get a goat skin chamois and a larger microfibre cloth this week, this car detailing isnt good for my natural OCD

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I have no suggestions because that isn't one of my duties. But if you ever need to hide a scratch, lemme know.

Lol
How did that ever end up going? We had sort of a cliff hanger going on. Speculation on you were murdered and replaced by the nanny, etc.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Do you even have Mexicans bro?

They would fuck it up for sure
Not true. If you want your last name or the cars nickname on the rear windshield with a stencil of The Virgin Mary, Mexicans do it better than anyone else.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
How did that ever end up going? We had sort of a cliff hanger going on. Speculation on you were murdered and replaced by the nanny, etc.
I guess I finally got it buffed out enough. As far as I know he still hasn't noticed it.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Use a bucket and hose, fuck a car wash.

Park on a bit of an incline if possible. Obviously start at the top of the car first so all the shit runs down, then do one quadrant at a time beginning with the part of the vehicle on the highest point of the incline.

Meguiars is my brand of choice for all car cleaning products.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Fucking this, I didnt know about chamois and bought a wipe cloth that could be used for drying the exterior and interior cleaning. Microfibre cloth the size of tabloid newspaper cost me near $50. Worked great. Then I read about chamois, bought two $3 each yesterday at supercheap autos and it was like trying to dry the car with a plastic garbage bag with holes in it. Useless.

Ill get a goat skin chamois and a larger microfibre cloth this week, this car detailing isnt good for my natural OCD

I tried several chamois in the past and didn't like any of them. I use an absorber. They are cheap and work well. Don't leave any bullshit dingleberries behind.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Not true. If you want your last name or the cars nickname on the rear windshield with a stencil of The Virgin Mary, Mexicans do it better than anyone else.
Has anyone been to Oxnard? It's like Mexico in California. I saw a Mexican driving a land cruiser there but he switched the badges for range Rover ones

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You could've just titled this "I own a Lexus" and saved members time posting helpful hints you never planned on using.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Microfiber cloth and glass cleaner. Use glass cleaner on the easily accessible parts of the glass. Just make sure the cloth is damp toward the bottom.

Alternately, it's usually pretty reasonable to have a professional do it. A lot of the "deep cleaning" stuff can actually be detrimental over the long term.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015

Ah dude this is why people buy a Lexus down here... because its a Toyota. If Toyota made a proper luxury model vehicle and lost its resale value like my 2nd hand Lexus had Id buy the Toyota.

I took my dad to pick up his brand new Prado on Saturday and driving it just didnt feel right. I dont know how I survived driving my $800 Honda all these years without at least getting leather seat covers installed.

Anyway off to be seen at the cafe carwash...

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Ah dude this is why people buy a Lexus down here... because its a Toyota. If Toyota made a proper luxury model vehicle and lost its resale value like my 2nd hand Lexus had Id buy the Toyota.

I took my dad to pick up his brand new Prado on Saturday and driving it just didnt feel right. I dont know how I survived driving my $800 Honda all these years without at least getting leather seat covers installed.

Anyway off to be seen at the cafe carwash...
There's a lot of headshake in this post.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Microfiber cloth and glass cleaner. Use glass cleaner on the easily accessible parts of the glass. Just make sure the cloth is damp toward the bottom.

Alternately, it's usually pretty reasonable to have a professional do it. A lot of the "deep cleaning" stuff can actually be detrimental over the long term.
Yeah I bought one of those, couldnt use it yesterday cause my kid dropped it into soem muddy water in the car wash bay, ive washed it now and explained to her that she wont be receiving a tertiary education on my dime or enough calories a day to fulfill her genetic ceiling in terms of height or weight.

You probably already know this but one tip I found on a detailers forum was to clean the front windscreen while facing the back of the car, easily to get down the bottom if that makes sense?