General Car detailing TME

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
how so, point form bro
"If Toyota made a proper luxury model vehicle" - They do it's called a Lexus

"lost its resale value like my 2nd hand Lexus had Id buy the Toyota." - Toyotas usually lose about the same amount of resale as their Lexus counterparts percentage wise.

"I took my dad to pick up his brand new Prado on Saturday and driving it just didnt feel right." - Prado = Truck, RX400h= Car

BTW Did you know you can get a decent porche Cayenne here for $18Kish?
I believe you can get a Cayenne for $18k. I don't believe for a second that it's decent.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
"If Toyota made a proper luxury model vehicle" - They do it's called a Lexus

"lost its resale value like my 2nd hand Lexus had Id buy the Toyota." - Toyotas usually lose about the same amount of resale as their Lexus counterparts percentage wise.

"I took my dad to pick up his brand new Prado on Saturday and driving it just didnt feel right." - Prado = Truck, RX400h= Car
yeah I was replyng to Yossarian's meme, just trying to point out that I knew its a Toyota, I just meant that if I could get the same features with a toyota badge ID just get the Toyota IE im not a brand snob.

Again I was being a smart ass to Yossarian about the Prado not feeling right its a proper off road vehicle and mine's gonna struggle on wet grass I know.

You know how touchy some people can get about a car they just spent $90K on a new car right? (thats big money to my family) the first thing I said to my dad when he asked how it drove was "Well there's so much body roll, my Lexus feels like its on rails" he fucking lost his marbles hahahaha

I continued trolling by mentioning all that engine noise (its the new 2.8l diesel hahahahaha) the old man almost blew a gasket

I believe you can get a Cayenne for $18k. I don't believe for a second that it's decent.
By decent I mean no major previous accidents IE never had to be straightened, no damage. No engine issues or previous major engine works, one max two owners. log books confirming regular scheduled servicing, never owned by an under 30 (yes I can find that out), no after market bullshit on it.

We inspected a few that dad gave the green light to. You know the journalists who write for motoring mags who provide their opinion on new releases? well the old man is the guy who tells them what to write so they dont look like retards (those guys dont actually know shit about cars) I guess I meant decent for what youre paying.

Check these out, Id be interested in hearing what our market is paying vs Canada's Id imagine yours is more competitive given the 300m market down south

https://www.carsales.com.au/

The Luxury SUV's down here IE Porche, Audi, Lexus, Mercs etc etc hold their values much worse than Toyota down here by a long shot, people just dont associate them with SUV's outside the urban asian/indians market so the buyer market isnt there.. Toyota's on the other hand... cant get rid of them quick enough

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
You know the journalists who write for motoring mags who provide their opinion on new releases? well the old man is the guy who tells them what to write so they dont look like retards (those guys dont actually know shit about cars) I guess I meant decent for what youre paying.
No offense to your dad, but auto mags are referred to as "Advertorials" because they're all bought and paid for to say nice things about the cars. Otherwise the advertisers pull their money, and the manufacturers stop sending testers. The Germans build cars in boardrooms and for that reason they age horrendously. The reason a Lexus/Toyota holds its value so much better than the luxury brands you named is that cost of ownership is a huge factor in resale. If it's not Honda/Toyota, GTFO.

You got yourself a nice ride, I didn't realize you were such a tree hugger though.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
No offense to your dad, but auto mags are referred to as "Advertorials" because they're all bought and paid for to say nice things about the cars. Otherwise the advertisers pull their money, and the manufacturers stop sending testers. The Germans build cars in boardrooms and for that reason they age horrendously. The reason a Lexus/Toyota holds its value so much better than the luxury brands you named is that cost of ownership is a huge factor in resale. If it's not Honda/Toyota, GTFO.

You got yourself a nice ride, I didn't realize you were such a tree hugger though.
Nah my dad is the technical adviser for a our largest motoring club, members pay a sub for the mags and they are impartial. He even refused to inspect the new Jag SUV cause the Jag engineer or whoever was insisting on being present during the inspection so they never reviewed it or hadnt a while ago when he told me.

Yep thats what dad days about German cars and pretty much all European cars, he reckons they go okay for 12 months then its over..

Check out that link, Lexus dont hold their value here on SUV's, sedans sure but no one here thinks Lexus when they think SUV, many people think mine is a special import IE hard to get Insurance and shit on so they dont bother.

Anyway I got to change the cam belts in mine now, worth doing myself with the old man or just get Lexus to do it you reckon? we have a full mechanical workshop misus the pit or hoists which we wont need right?

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
BeardOfKnowledge @ConorMcGregorsBeard do you reckon armour all is a good enough interior cleaning product or is it worth going more upmarket? im talking about cleaning and protecting the interior minus the seats which I have these special wipes for.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Anyway I got to change the cam belts in mine now, worth doing myself with the old man or just get Lexus to do it you reckon? we have a full mechanical workshop misus the pit or hoists which we wont need right?
If I were you I wouldn't bother. Pay the 3 or 4 hours to a professional rather than tearing the engine apart in that tiny ass engine bay.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
BeardOfKnowledge @ConorMcGregorsBeard do you reckon armour all is a good enough interior cleaning product or is it worth going more upmarket? im talking about cleaning and protecting the interior minus the seats which I have these special wipes for.
Most of it's marketing. Use what you want, if you aren't happy with how it works try something else. Everybody swears theirs is the best, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference generally. I typically go with Turtle Wax products. I'm infantile so the little turtle on the label makes me happy.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
If I were you I wouldn't bother. Pay the 3 or 4 hours to a professional rather than tearing the engine apart in that tiny ass engine bay.
Yeah im thinking the same thing, Ill have to do it behind the old man's back. Dude hasnt pulled tools in 30 years and doesnt get that cars have changed, Mr technical adviser totally fucked up putting new regulators in my Honda so I ended up fixing it using youtube videos hahaha

Cant afford for him to fuck up my cam belts or ill be on your ass for weeks trying to work out how to fix it

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Most of it's marketing. Use what you want, if you aren't happy with how it works try something else. Everybody swears theirs is the best, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference generally. I typically go with Turtle Wax products. I'm infantile so the little turtle on the label makes me happy.

hahahaha

Yeah I think the proof is in the ingredient list yeah? Ill check out turtle wax but when I was a kid constantly polishing my 1990 Toyota Celica that was a budget brand

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Yeah I think the proof is in the ingredient list yeah? Ill check out turtle wax but when I was a kid constantly polishing my 1990 Toyota Celica that was a budget brand
More or less. If it doesn't damage your finish, and you're happy with it, why spend more?

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
More or less. If it doesn't damage your finish, and you're happy with it, why spend more?
True true. I was just wondering if there's any Canadian industry secrets I needed to know about. The old man thinks im wasting my time with clay barring the car but that shit wasnt around in the 1970's or whenever he apprenticed, your thoughts?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
True true. I was just wondering if there's any Canadian industry secrets I needed to know about. The old man thinks im wasting my time with clay barring the car but that shit wasnt around in the 1970's or whenever he apprenticed, your thoughts?
I look at it this way. What's the purpose of clay barring?

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
I look at it this way. What's the purpose of clay barring?
Okay first to kill an afternoon in the sun haha

Seriously I thought it was to remove metals which adhere to the surface of our vehicle due to magnetic force therefore alleviating microscratches and also giving you a better finish?

Got a bridge to sell me?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Seriously I thought it was to remove metals which adhere to the surface of our vehicle due to magnetic force therefore alleviating microscratches and also giving you a better finish?
Magnetic force? To me personally it's a bit of a waste of time. It's a pain to do, takes a long time, if your bar hits the ground you're fucked. with modern paint finishes. Wash, dry, repeat.*

*If you're in a really hot place with high sun exposure speak to a detailer about maintaining your paints finish. They might get paid FA, but a good detailer really is an artist.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Magnetic force? To me personally it's a bit of a waste of time. It's a pain to do, takes a long time, if your bar hits the ground you're fucked. with modern paint finishes. Wash, dry, repeat.*

*If you're in a really hot place with high sun exposure speak to a detailer about maintaining your paints finish. They might get paid FA, but a good detailer really is an artist.
Yes they are, here that job is either a pathway to a mechanic apprenticeship, carsales job or something you do while living in a halfway house out of prison

The only thing that pisses me off about detailers is how they apply tyre gloss, youre not fooling anyone with that shit

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Yes they are, here that job is either a pathway to a mechanic apprenticeship, carsales job or something you do while living in a halfway house out of prison
It really is a shame that it's the case. That's a job that needs to have pride taken in it for it to be done right.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Dang u guys talk about any old shit.

When is the next UFC? The MoDs are gonna get me a press pass. So I hijacked this thread. how many fighters do you think I can get to swear fealty to prince Phillip?

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Dang u guys talk about any old shit.

When is the next UFC? The MoDs are gonna get me a press pass. So I hijacked this thread. how many fighters do you think I can get to swear fealty to prince Phillip?
I dont talk MMA to newbs, if you werent there in the 90's GTFO Im not interested in your opinion

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Fuck detailing my car. I have now a shit loads of products, microfiber towels, waxes, but now that I have everything, the moments gone.