General Cardi B: corona virus

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I do. I'm just not living in a fantasy land where the government commandeers all the sewing machines, or that sewing machines are an unlimited resource.
quantify the resources to give every person in the US a mask, and then show how we would run out of time or materials.

that's the difference between theory and practice.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
quantify the resources to give every person in the US a mask, and then show how we would run out of time or materials.

that's the difference between theory and practice.
Worldwide problem, bro. You're also pretending all mask materials are created equal and still ignoring our lack of cure.

In either case, the only thing I'm not sure that you'd run out of first is time or sewing machines.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Worldwide problem, bro. You're also pretending all mask materials are created equal and still ignoring our lack of cure.

In either case, the only thing I'm not sure that you'd run out of first is time or sewing machines.
i'm assuming that 70% effective is better than 0% effective.
time required is inverse of sewing machines available...so we can't make sewing machines any more?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
You think social distancing is 0% effective? Then why the fuck are we all sitting in our houses?

Not faster than people can get infected, no.
no mask: 0% effective
t-shirt mask: 70% effective.

you're sitting in your house because no one likes you.
the rest of us, because we don't have masks.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
no mask: 0% effective
t-shirt mask: 70% effective.
If you come in direct contact with the virus. It's really disingenuous that you pretend like not having a mask is the be all end all. You've provided junk science, had doctors tell you you're wrong, but you just keep digging in.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
If you come in direct contact with the virus. It's really disingenuous that you pretend like not having a mask is the be all end all. You've provided junk science, had doctors tell you you're wrong, but you just keep digging in.
ncbi isn't junk science, c'mon man.

you can do social distancing in a mask. you can also wash your hands with a mask.
Mask is at worst, absolutely NOT worse than nothing at all.

Every one of the studies I linked came to that conclusion, some went further. Regardless, the overwhelming positive effect of contact tracing, social distancing, public sanitation, personal hygiene, AND everyone wearing a mask is incontrovertible.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
ncbi isn't junk science, c'mon man.
Is that the one where people went out in public and interacted with people not part of the control group?

Regardless, the overwhelming positive effect of contact tracing, social distancing, public sanitation, personal hygiene, AND everyone wearing a mask is incontrovertible.
So if you were going to rank those 5 things in order of importance? How would you rank them?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Is that the one where people went out in public and interacted with people not part of the control group?
you should take a class on Design of Experiments. It's important to control variance, but only in the things that prove or disprove the hypothesis.

So if you were going to rank those 5 things in order of importance? How would you rank them?
I'd start with the things that don't have a cost, don't slow the economy, and slow the spread of the disease - so masks on everyone, increased personal hygiene, and social distancing. At the first sniff of a killer disease out of China or wherever, protocol should be to put on a mask and gradually increase the extent of social distancing...starting with 'give a little more room in line' scaling up to shelter-in-place advisory.

then things that have a cost, but don't slow the economy, and slow the spread of the disease. And I'd rank them in order of cost/efficacy
Contact Tracing
Public Sanitation/Sterilization.

As a last resort, mandatory temporary lockdown of all but essential services.