Carmouche released from UFC... while on promotion for the UFC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018

This might be the dirtiest the UFC has ever done one of their employees, let alone a veteran.

Top ranked flyweight Liz Carmouche released from UFC during promo tour in DC

Just four months after fighting for the women’s flyweight title against Valentina Shevchenko, Liz Carmouche has been released from the UFC.

ESPN first reported the news. The outlet added that Carmouche was made aware of her release while in Washington D.C., to promote the UFC on ESPN 7 card that takes place in the capital this Saturday, December 7th.

According to reports from MMA Junkie, Carmouche had just signed a new contract with the UFC, shortly after her title fight loss to Valentina Shevchenko.

“I’m a little bit pained,” Carmouche said. “They brought me out here and had me doing a lot of media obligations. I went to Arlington Cemetery and was part of the wreath ceremony. They brought me out as a veteran and as a fighter. Then today they had me going to the hospital and talking to different people and different wards – only to find out that I’d been released earlier. The news just finally trickled down to me.”

For their part, UFC matchmakers told Junkie they didn’t know Carmouche was part of the promotional tour.

A veteran of women’s MMA, Carmouche (13-7) fought in the first women’s fight in UFC history, when she was submitted by Ronda Rousey at UFC 157 in 2013. She was also the first-ever UFC fighter to come out as openly gay while competing. The 35-year-old fought the very best during her time in the promotion, including former champions Jessica Andrade and Miesha Tate.

Carmouche’s last fight in the UFC was a flyweight title shot against Valentina Shevchenko at UFC Montevideo in August. Losing the fight by unanimous decision, Carmouche called for a trilogy fight with ‘Bullet’ shortly afterward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Wow. That is about as sleazy as it gets. UFC should be ashamed of themselves.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The UFC is just run by nothing but the lowest scum on earth..........

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Obviously the matchmaking / cutting department has no communication whatsoever with the on site fighter promotion department.

This is the kind of ridiculous shit that the WME has brought to the UFC.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
she pays for travel and room?
I bet they are videotaping for promo.

pay these folks you greedy megacompany

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This is what I don't like the most about UFC. The fighters are Independent contractors, and can be cut on a whim, yet they don't have the power to quit themselves. How is that not insane.

I'm a contractor. If my employer pisses me off I like having the ability to tell them to go fuck themselves and sign for Thier nearest rival.

At the same time when the big company is struggling they will likely get rid of myself and other contractors before they ditch Thier own staff.

Back to the UFC I've just never understood how it's legal. We can fire you but you can't fire us

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
This is what I don't like the most about UFC. The fighters are Independent contractors, and can be cut on a whim, yet they don't have the power to quit themselves. How is that not insane.

I'm a contractor. If my employer pisses me off I like having the ability to tell them to go fuck themselves and sign for Thier nearest rival.

At the same time when the big company is struggling they will likely get rid of myself and other contractors before they ditch Thier own staff.

Back to the UFC I've just never understood how it's legal. We can fire you but you can't fire us
I do contract work, sign NDAs and can't work for a rival company within a certain period of time.

The contract is signed, they agree to the conditions.

I agree that the way the UFC operate is shit though.

Dick Niaz

Jan 14, 2018

This is the first time I have ever heard a man-whore refer to themself as a “contractor,” and their pimp as their “employer.”

Last edited:

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015

They know the deal, then they sign the contract. Then fans complain. wat

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015
"This is what I don't like the most about UFC." "I've just never understood"
Found your problem. Somehow we've gotten to the point where people feel it's justified to not like something even when they admit they don't understand. What an odd place to be.

I assume you are super young. But, every time I have been a contractor in my life, this is the known deal. You AGREE to legal terms when you sign. The end. If you complain later, that means you were a fool. If you continue to do the same thing over and over, how is that someone else's fault?

Also, ALWAYS start from the logical position of LIFE IS NOT FAIR. It cannot be. Fairness is a construct that does not really exist.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Found your problem. Somehow we've gotten to the point where people feel it's justified to not like something even when they admit they don't understand. What an odd place to be.

I assume you are super young. But, every time I have been a contractor in my life, this is the known deal. You AGREE to legal terms when you sign. The end. If you complain later, that means you were a fool. If you continue to do the same thing over and over, how is that someone else's fault?

Also, ALWAYS start from the logical position of LIFE IS NOT FAIR. It cannot be. Fairness is a construct that does not really exist.
If I wanna quit my job I should be able to.

UFC have the right

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

No, we have labor laws people fought and bled for that work to ensure fairer conditions. The problem is employers have used political pressure to ensure that a designation like "independent contractor" continues to exist and have worked to apply it to larger cross sections of the workforce. In the case of fighters, Dana White met with the current President in a meeting where it's widely believed that he requested that the National Labor Relations Board not extend organizing rights to fighters. Leslie Smith FOIAed for info about this meeting that has yet to be honored. As long as Trump is president, the NLRB has ruled that it won't entertain independent contractors right to organize

Meanwhile there is still an antitrust case against Zuffa that is trying to settle fighters employment status as well as if the corporation has unfairly denied its workers the right to seek work elsewhere.

There's no transcendental status of fairness or unfairness. There's only struggle to determine the rules of the road. Sometimes workers win, sometimes they lose, but you fight to get the best deal possible and you call out employer BS whenever possible.

Dick Niaz

Jan 14, 2018
Hey before this thread takes a turn and devolves into a discussion on labor laws, let’s all just for a moment consider

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
the mix up sorta shows how much of a cold company it is. but most of all, it's fucking outrageous that her expenses weren't being covered.