Lifestyle Cast Iron Cooking

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Just got my first cast iron pan. It's 12" (30 cm) wide and 2.5" (6 cm) deep.

I am obviously looking forward to cooking steaks on it (prob finna do that this weekend), but what else do you guys like to cook using cast iron cookware?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Just got my first cast iron pan. It's 12" (30 cm) wide and 2.5" (6 cm) deep.

I am obviously looking forward to cooking steaks on it (prob finna do that this weekend), but what else do you guys like to cook using cast iron cookware?
Pine apple upside-down cake. Do that first.

I'm a big fan of bacon, sausage, and eggs done on the cast iron.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Did you buy yours pre-seasoned? I'm wondering if I should still season mine and if so how many times.
I had to redo mine a couple times while I was still getting the hang of things. Ground off the factory seasoning with sandpaper down to the bare metal, preheated oven to 400 degrees, oil the pan real good, let it bake upside down for an hour, then let it cool completely, and start the process all over gain. Do it at LEAST twice. The more times the better.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Did you buy yours pre-seasoned? I'm wondering if I should still season mine and if so how many times.
I can't remember.
But I have seasoned it.

Cover in high temp oil (avocado or vegetable) using paper towel. As thin as possible.
Place aluminum foil in oven. Pan on foil upside down to catch drips.

400F for an hour. Turn off over. Let it cool in oven.

Done.

Can do a few times if you want.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Pretty much all I use.
Also have some deep ones for camping.

Most of mine are old as shit. Passed down from my Grandpa.

Just recently bought a dutch oven. Looking forward to learning how to cook with that. Probably use mostly for camping.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Pretty much all I use.
Also have some deep ones for camping.

Most of mine are old as shit. Passed down from my Grandpa.

Just recently bought a dutch oven. Looking forward to learning how to cook with that. Probably use mostly for camping.
Dutch ovens are the shit homeboy

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I use Crisco for seasoning my pan.
This is going to cause a bit of a riot, but I will scrub my pan with soap and water after use, put it immediately on the burner set to high to get all the water off.
Let the cast iron start to smoke after the water has dried, and then rub a thin layer of Crisco on it.
Let it run for another min or 2, then shut it down.
Let it cool.
Hang 'er up.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
This is going to cause a bit of a riot, but I will scrub my pan with soap and water after use, put it immediately on the burner set to high to get all the water off.
Let the cast iron start to smoke after the water has dried, and then rub a thin layer of Crisco on it.
Let it cool.
Hang 'er up.
I bet your soap steaks taste great.

M

member 3289

Let it cool.
Hang 'er up.
Most sources I've read have recommended a small amount of soap.