Lifestyle Cast Iron Cooking

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
99% of my cooking is done in my CI pan or dutch oven. They are the shit. Especially if you have a modern "energy efficient" stove which just means it pulses the heat. CI retains the heat for a more consistent cook. You can also go from the stove top to the oven.

I'd cook something fatty for the first cook. Such as bacon. Cook it at a low temperature. It'll take time, but you want the fat to render.

I don't use soap on my pan. I use a wooden spatula to scrape up any bits of food that are left behind after cooking while the pan is still hot and remove them with a paper towel after the pan cools. The dutch oven I have is enameled, so soap and water are fine for that.

I want to pickup a double burner griddle.

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Growing a beard and buying your first cast iron pan?

So I guess we can date Florida to being in 2011. This actually explains a lot.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Pine apple upside-down cake. Do that first.

I'm a big fan of bacon, sausage, and eggs done on the cast iron.
How do your eggs not end up black. I’ve got cast irons but I can’t get them from releasing black shit. I clean the fuck out of them but I can’t get them to cook clean.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
The only thing I’ve ever used my cast iron for is steak. This method is perfect.

Put your pan into the oven and get the oven up to 500 degrees.

Salt and pepper a couple of ribeyes and brush them with canola oil.

When the oven reaches temp, crank a burner as hot as it will go. Put the pan on the burner and sear your steaks for 30 seconds per side.

Then put your pan back in the 500 degree oven. Cook it for two minutes, then flip the steak and cook it for another 2 minutes.

This is for medium rare.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
How do your eggs not end up black. I’ve got cast irons but I can’t get them from releasing black shit. I clean the fuck out of them but I can’t get them to cook clean.
Try spreading salt in the pan and scrubbing with paper towel. Best done when pan is still hot

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Yes, I have two that I use regularly. Even if it comes “pre-seasoned” only time and proper care will truly season it. The good news it you really can’t screw it up. Even if you mess up and it gets rusty, you can scour it, clean it, and start the seasoning process again.

Best advice I can give to expedite the seasoning process is to cover it in a light coat of a neutral oil with a high smoke point then microwave it on high for 5min.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Cook bacon in cast iron in oven.
Drain most of the grease.
Cook eggs in light bacon grease on stovetop in same CI skillet.