Chael Sonnen: I don’t think the UFC is going to be in a big hurry to bring Jose Aldo back

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Three-time UFC title challenger, retired fighter and ESPN MMA analyst Chael Sonnen takes nothing away from Jose Aldo’s accomplishments. But he still believes the UFC featherweight champion missed a career-making opportunity – one that could even hurt his career down the road.

“I don’t think the UFC is going to be in a big hurry to put Jose Aldo back in the ring,” Sonnen today told MMAjunkie Radio. “He is the champion, so per the competitive architecture, they’re going to have to. But – he burned them five times. As quick as you can get that belt off Aldo and not give him a shot to get it back, not only has he burned you five times, but he is the worst drawing champ of all time.”

Harsh words, indeed, for Aldo, who this past week suffered a fractured rib while in the final stretch of preparation for a meeting with Conor McGregor at next week’s UFC 189, which has been promoted as one of the biggest events of the year and is expected to break box office records. It was the fifth time an injury prevented him from defending his UFC belt, including previously canceled bouts at UFC 125, UFC 149, UFC 153 and UFC 176, though his level of activity is comparable to other champions on the UFC’s roster.

Several doctors, including MMAjunkie’s own medical consultant, say the champ’s injury is serious enough to eliminate any thought of Aldo competing. It’s unclear why UFC President Dana Whitesaid the fighter had been cleared to fight on July 11. But like White, Sonnen questions why the champ was ever in the position to be injured.

As previous reports indicated, Aldo suffered a rib fracture when a new sparring partner, Alcides Nunes, caught him with a spinning back kick during practice. The strike is one McGregor frequently executes in the cage, but Sonnen believes it’s too high risk in training, especially with a new partner.

“You’ve got to have training partners you can trust,” Sonnen said. “I could be sparring with a guy and he forgot his mouthpiece, it wouldn’t matter. I’m not going to loosen his tooth, ever. If he goes with me, he’s going to leave in the same condition that he showed up in. He can trust me. Those are the kind of guys that you want to be working out with.

“Accidents happen. This could have been an accident. But it was a spinning kick to the midsection. That’s a very hard strike to control – it’s the same reason we don’t throw elbows in practice. They’re just too hard to control, and if one gets away, even a light one, it can cut your opponent and he’s going to need stitches. There are some things you just don’t do on a partner; you save it for the heavy bag. I’m very confused as to how this even happened 10 days before a title fight.”

While Aldo’s (25-1 MMA, 7-0 UFC) injury prior to UFC 176 caused the cancelation of the pay-per-view, the promotion, which reportedly spent millions promoting the headliner between the champ and McGregor (17-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC), is moving ahead with McGregor opposite two-time title challenger Chad Mendes (17-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC). McGregor reported Wednesday that 2,500 Irish fans are headed to Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. White said the event is expected to earn $7 million at the box office. The UFC executive also has said UFC 189 will break the one million mark in pay-per-view buys, though that prediction came prior to Aldo’s withdrawal.

Sonnen agrees with McGregor that the headliner’s new prize, an interim UFC featherweight belt, should be switched to the undisputed title.

“I couldn’t imagine pulling out of a fight, ever, for any reason, let alone a title fight, and he’s done it five times,” Sonnen said. “You can call it an interim championship – I guess that’s what you have to do. If I’m in charge, we strip him.

LINK to full story: Chael Sonnen: I don’t think the UFC is going to be in a big hurry to bring Jose Aldo back | MMAjunkie

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
chael never pulled out of a fight because he doesnt really care about winning.he is only there for a paycheck

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
but he is the worst drawing champ of all time.
Maybe in the states, but he is well loved in Brazil. I bet Globo love him for the ratings he gets them. Maybe not as much as Vitor, but still.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
"best fighters in the world"

"If Dana likes them"

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Maybe in the states, but he is well loved in Brazil. I bet Globo love him for the ratings he gets them. Maybe not as much as Vitor, but still.
Well to be honest, he is the worst drawing champ because he isnt dana's pool party friend. Everyone can look at this guy's record and see he is the most dominate champ. dana has an agenda and i think by now the MMA community across the spectrum isnt gonna buy it.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
"I'd just like to give my old friend Dana a shout out, and make sure he knows my rhetoric knob goes all the way up to 12."
Chael just broke my bullshit meter and i had to buy an upgraded version, between dana and chael its like a broken toilet that never stops clogging

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
He would be in favor of another guy who stole the champs belt like he did...Aldo might whip his ass too...

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
They should make a statue of vitor in rio

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
I agree with everything Chael said, except for completely stripping Aldo of the title. I think the upcoming fight should be for the interim title only.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Conor is danas lil bitch boy so of course they will give him a title shot even if it's for a toys r us plastic belt that means nothing. The ufc will try everything possible to get conorchan the real belt. Chanel is just a mouthpiece for Dana because he wants to be back in danas lap. I have no respect for a cheater and never will. Aldo may have postponed because he ended up fighting all 5 bouts he postponed. So to Dana and co, take that bullshit and kiss it

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Shit I should make one myself, I live near an insane asylum, never know when one might get out and attack

rob_mojo5050

Jul 6, 2015
Its just not smart for Aldo to waste his money on his training then turn around and risk getting injured during sparring, just bc he's not cautious,hes been a professional& Experienced fighter he knows what he's doing,I like many fighters,but DANA DOES HAVE HIS FAVORITES,Conor has done a great job n promoting himself building his brand smart drawing lots of attention to his fights,smart business man,but it just seems like Aldo was looking for a reason to backout till hes ready,he knew Conor would of coarse have to fight A top fighter that he had fought already, he wants to see how they do w Conor scouting out the competition!

Anno Domini

Feb 26, 2015
Damn, so bummed Aldo got hurt. Chael has good points though. I can understand why Aldo isn't a big draw in U.S. / UK. But why isn't he big draw in Brazil?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Damn, so bummed Aldo got hurt. Chael has good points though. I can understand why Aldo isn't a big draw in U.S. / UK. But why isn't he big draw in Brazil?
I thought he was? Remember the scene of him going into the crowd there and being swarmed? Is he not a big star in Brazil?

Anno Domini

Feb 26, 2015
I thought he was? Remember the scene of him going into the crowd there and being swarmed? Is he not a big star in Brazil?

I was going to post that. Never will forget Aldo crowd surfing after he ko'd Mendes.

Just saw what Chael said '' but he is the worst drawing champ of all time ''. And Brazil is huge, figured if they supported him that would be false. Who knows.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I was going to post that. Never will forget Aldo crowd surfing after he ko'd Mendes.

Just saw what Chael said '' but he is the worst drawing champ of all time ''. And Brazil is huge, figured if they supported him that would be false. Who knows.
Chael has an agenda. I havent quite figured out what it is in this instance, but its obvious.