Chael Sonnen on Jon Jones: If 'Bones' gets instant UFC title shot upon return, 'then none of this ma

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

When all is said and done in Las Vegas, Nevada, this Saturday night (May 23, 2015) -- and UFC 187 comes to its conclusion -- for the first time in more than four years someone other than Jon Jones will be crowned UFC's Light Heavyweight champion.

Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson are, of course, fighting for the now-vacant UFC 205-pound championship inside MGM Grand Garden Arena this Memorial Day weekend. Jones was stripped of his title and indefinitely suspended on April 28, 2015, after Albuquerque Police Department charged "Bones" with felony hit-and-run for allegedly leaving the scene of an accident that left a pregnant woman with a broken arm.

It also left another stain on his spotty reputation.

The unceremonious end to the title reign of Jones has been an odd one. His meteoric rise through the ranks -- followed by dominance in the 205-pound division for the last four years -- has come crashing down because of the legal troubles that have sullied his name and compelled UFC, unprecedentedly, to strip him of the title.

And now, either Cormier or Johnson will be crowned the new champion at UFC 187, but neither man will have actually defeated Jones to earn it.

ESPN MMA analyst and former UFC Middleweight and Light Heavyweight title contender, Chael Sonnen, told MMAMania that UFC's decisions in regard to Jones are a bit odd.

"In fighting there is a history," Sonnen said. "You can't operate outside of the confines of history. You get stripped for two reasons: You don't defend your belt or you are unable to defend your belt. Those are the only two things that get you stripped. You have a guy who is still in the company and you took his belt. It's weird. It's really weird. If you cut a guy and he is no longer with the company than, obviously, he is no longer the champion. I don't know what you do from here. Are you telling me that Jon's next fight when he comes back won't be for the title? Because if it is for the title, than what's the difference?"

Earlier this week, UFC president Dana White said that Jones would, indeed, most likely fight for the title upon his return if he didn't have to serve jail time.

"If you put him in a title fight then none of this makes sense. It's the exact same spot he's in," Sonnen continued. "He walks out to the ring without the belt and he walks away with the belt. Or, if he loses, he doesn't leave with the belt. That is the exact same thing that would've happened if he would've walked to the ring with the belt."

Sonnet, host of the "You're Welcome" podcast and professional wrestling analyst with Global Force Wrestling, also mentioned it wouldn't make sense to put Jones in a contender fight or not have him in anything other than a main event due to the fact his contract "calls for pay-per-view points no matter where he is on the card."

Thus, bringing it back to Jones being in a title fight, where he would've been had he not been stripped.

"Then it comes back full circle, okay, well then you have to put him back in a title fight," Sonnen said. "You just have to do it six months from now and everyone forgets about this. Well, if you do that, nothing has changed. It's the exact same spot. So, it's just weird. I don't know what you do with him. That's why it's weird."

Stripping the champion or not stripping the champion aside, Sonnen is of the opinion some type of action had to be taken in light of recent events.

"Yeah, something needed to be done," he said. "Whether the commission needed to handle that or [UFC] needed to handle that, I suppose there is no wrong answer there. In his case, it may end up being bold, but to strip a guy... It's just never been done before. I'm not second guessing it. I'm not even saying it's wrong. I'm saying it's never been done before. Anyone who says it isn't weird is wrong. It is weird. It's very weird.

"You've got the guy that is the champ and he is still on the roster but he isn't the champ. You see the problem with this? It's really weird. And if his next fight is for the title, literally, nothing changes. So, you can either admit now that he is really not stripped, or you are going to have to admit it in six months when you bring him back and let him out there for a title fight. It's the same thing and so, it's weird."

The retired fighter is also surprised that one of the more prominent reporters who called for Jones suspension and title to be stripped, Kevin Iole from Yahoo.com, doesn't find it odd that UFC did both but kept him in the promotion.

Chael Sonnen on Jon Jones: If 'Bones' gets instant UFC title shot upon return, 'then none of this makes sense' - MMAmania.com

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I agree with Chael on this one. It almost imvalidates the strip in practical terms, but since they had to make a symbolic gesture, I'm not sure what else they could have done.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I agree to an extent. This doesn't exactly feel like a legit title fight but it also doesn't feel like an interim one either.

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
The only real way it fucks up things for Jones is it sets his title defenses back to zero and it's not likely (should he come back and win the belt) that he'll surpass it again. Having the most consecutive title defenses is one of the most prestigious records in the sport IMO.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Ask Chael, who is the toughest person he fought? He got dismantled by that man, that man is the best out there (Chael said, "I have ho problem with the stoppage" because he was going to get hammered with who knows what after taking a considerable beating) and frankly, without him being beaten, none of this matters but I'm damn sure looking forward to this fight but still consider this to be a fight to determine who fights jones next.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Sonnet, host of the "You're Welcome" podcast and professional wrestling analyst with Global Force Wrestling, also mentioned it wouldn't make sense to put Jones in a contender fight or not have him in anything other than a main event due to the fact his contract "calls for pay-per-view points no matter where he is on the card."

My god this Sonnet.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
The only real way it fucks up things for Jones is it sets his title defenses back to zero and it's not likely (should he come back and win the belt) that he'll surpass it again. Having the most consecutive title defenses is one of the most prestigious records in the sport IMO.
I agree with this in theory, but as I said elsewhere, what would be really interesting is if Jones came back and flat out refused to do title fights. Like if he just said "I'm the champ. That guy (winner of AJ/DC) is a pretender. Why would I want to fight him?" That would take his heel role to the 11th level. And it's not like Dana can force him to fight for the belt.

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
I agree with this in theory, but as I said elsewhere, what would be really interesting is if Jones came back and flat out refused to do title fights. Like if he just said "I'm the champ. That guy (winner of AJ/DC) is a pretender. Why would I want to fight him?" That would take his heel role to the 11th level. And it's not like Dana can force him to fight for the belt.
Interesting point, and it's not like he can "manage" him out of the UFC with a bad match-up............because he is the man who can/will destroy everyone.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
I hear what he's saying, but I have to disagree. The man didn't lose in the cage. Whether it's DC, Rumble, or (hopefully) Gus, I'm sure they would want to fight and beat Jones otherwise their belt will seem fake. I can't imagine guys that are so competitive would want to take a fight against anyone who isn't named Jones. His actions sucked and he may even be an asshole, but his next opponent should be based in his most recent performances in the cage, not those outside of the cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

Punch

Fuck giving him an immediate title shot. Let him and gus fight for the opportunity. People have wanted to see that rematch for a long time, & it'll legitimize their current champ further knowing that you don't just waltz in and get a shot after getting yourself stripped.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
That Chael Sonnen, who ordered a replica belt from UFC.con (typo and it stays), has the gall to pronounce anything in MMA absurd is delightful to me. Never change, Chael.

In seriousness, I'm ambivalent about the situation. Chael is right about the many inconsistencies arising from stripping Jones, but I don't know what else the UFC could do after such public fuckery.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I wan't JBJ to sue the UFC for his release. You've stripped his title and placed him on 'indefinite' suspension, thereby holding him in career limbo as he cannot practice his trade elsewhere and you're refusing to cut him or give him matches promised in his contract. Sue for your release please please please 'Independent Contractor'.

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
I wan't JBJ to sue the UFC for his release. You've stripped his title and placed him on 'indefinite' suspension, thereby holding him in career limbo as he cannot practice his trade elsewhere and you're refusing to cut him or give him matches promised in his contract. Sue for your release please please please 'Independent Contractor'.
good point, but they probably have this covered in their contract with him as those terms and conditions which don't look like anything but a "technicality, just in case" when you sign are a bitc- when they come around.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
good point, but they probably have this covered in their contract with him as those terms and conditions which don't look like anything but a "technicality, just in case" when you sign are a bitc- when they come around.
I don't think they have the contractual right to not honor their bout offers indefinitely. They're contractually obligated to offer you a certain amount of fights that's why they keep offering them to Nate Diaz even tho he refuses them

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Honestly, do you think after more than likely being heavily under the influence of drugs and running from the accident or the UFC stripping jones of his title, that today he is clean and sober? hell no i am sure that he is sitting back using up a storm and waiting for the UFC to make all this go away. This guy could care less about fighting, he has made somewhat of a history and made tons of money, now he will sit back sort and smoke til the cows come home and then the biggest dirtbag will call him to fight for the title. I know it sounds crappy but unless the UFC does an embedded of Jones in a 6 month rehab or longer none of this is can be taken with a grain of salt.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I don't care if he snorts, smokes, whores, spreads bastard seeds in every 18 year old white chick he can bang without a magnum condom as long as it's out of competition. That's his personal business and he ain't trying to give me his money to fake care. In comp, I need him to follow the rules so I get to see good fights.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
LMAO i see you didnt include be high and run a redlight injuring an already pregnant woman.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't care if he snorts, smokes, whores, spreads bastard seeds in every 18 year old white chick he can bang without a magnum condom as long as it's out of competition. That's his personal business and he ain't trying to give me his money to fake care. In comp, I need him to follow the rules so I get to see good fights.
I think a ton of people want this but he's he's not just a good fighter who outs on good fights. His name and job are tied to million dollar corporations like the UFC and Reebok and no doubt there's a level of professionalism thats e pected of him, more likely written into any and l of his contracts. I have a good job and I'm good at it but I was recognized in the news by my employer doing the thing Jon has done I'd expect a letter of termination rather quickly. Jon is WL aware of his expectations outside of the cage but can't seem to manage them.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
LMAO i see you didnt include be high and run a redlight injuring an already pregnant woman.
That too. What a nice insurance windfall and personal lawsuit money she fell into. Why do you think she stayed in the hospital for damn near a week with a broken arm? They shoo your ass out faster when you actually shit out a kid or have an organ removed. Good for her.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I think a ton of people want this but he's he's not just a good fighter who outs on good fights. His name and job are tied to million dollar corporations like the UFC and Reebok and no doubt there's a level of professionalism thats e pected of him, more likely written into any and l of his contracts. I have a good job and I'm good at it but I was recognized in the news by my employer doing the thing Jon has done I'd expect a letter of termination rather quickly. Jon is WL aware of his expectations outside of the cage but can't seem to manage them.
Sur . He should practice descretion like the rest of creeoy society. But IDC about his personal choices outside of it affecting my viewing pleasure. His money or loss thereof doesn't affect my life as he's not giving me any. Other than his behavior delaying my bloodthirst IDC.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Sur . He should practice descretion like the rest of creeoy society. But IDC about his personal choices outside of it affecting my viewing pleasure. His money or loss thereof doesn't affect my life as he's not giving me any. Other than his behavior delaying my bloodthirst IDC.
Hey I hear you Mel. I'm actually just a little surprised knowing what little I do about you. I didn't see you as the type to write that a trained killer should resort to a legal team to stuck it to somebody after his own stupidity put him in that place to begin with. I thought you'd be blasting Jon for being selfish and taking away your viewing pleasure by habitually making poor decisions resulting in your bloodlust not getting fulfilled.

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I do wonder if he's sitting there snorting up some blow and whatever else he's into right now. Nothing has been said about him checking into rehab, and you know it would be all over the media if he did. I think it's safe to say he's not just a weekend warrior and has a legit addiction problem if he's partying that hard so close to a fight, so IMO it's unlikely that he just 'stopped'.

I also wonder if his baby mama breaks his balls or just shuts up like a good little homemaker. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that he smacks her around too.