China Yulin dog meat festival under way despite outrage

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
An annual dog meat festival in south-west China has begun, amid uproar on the part of animal rights activists.

About 10,000 dogs will be slaughtered for their meat at the Lychee and Dog Meat Festival in Yulin in Guangxi province on Sunday and Monday to mark the summer solstice, state media said.

One retired school teacher from Tianjin hit the headlines when she purchased dozens of dogs to save them.

Residents and vendors in Yulin say the animals are killed in a humane way.

A price is negotiated before the dog is killed and cooked
Activists say the killing is cruel and an online campaign to ban the festival has been signed by more than 3.8 million people so far and the campaign has attracted considerable support this year from celebrities both domestic and foreign.

Celebrities including British comedian Ricky Gervais have spoken out on Twitterwith the hashtag #StopYuLin2015. Chinese pop star Chen Kun and actor Yang Mi have said they are joining the campaign on micro blogging site Weibo.

And Chinese actor Fan Bingbing and others posted a video online against the festival.

The festival began a few years ago according to state media.
The tradition of eating dog meat dates back four or five hundred years in China, South Korea and other countries, as it is believed to ward off the heat of the summer months, according to state news agency Xinhua.

However, this festival began in recent years, Xinhua said.

City officials have distanced themselves from the gathering. "Some residents of Yulin have the habit of coming together to eat lychees and dog meat during the summer solstice," the city's news office wrote on Weibo.

"The 'summer solstice lychee and dog meat festival' is a commercial term, the city has never [officially] organised a 'dog meat festival'," it added.

As in recent years, some animal lovers resorted to buying some of the dogs in order to rescue them.

Yang Xiaoyun, retired school teacher, paid about 7,000 yuan ($1,100; £710) to save 100 dogs on Saturday.

Yang Xiaoyun kept the dogs in a temporary shelter after saving them from the meat vendors
The BBC's Celia Hatton in Beijing says this kind of dispute puts the government in a really difficult position. The glorified consumption of dog meat generates a lot of negative foreign media reports, embarrassing the authorities. Also, the dog meat industry has been accused of many underhand tactics, including the illegal capture of family pets to use as food.

But at the same time, the government is wary of the increasingly sophisticated animal rights movement, she adds. Animal rights activists in China have formed a cohesive network on social media that extends to many foreign animal welfare groups. China's leaders do not want to encourage such a movement amid a wider crackdown on civil disturbance of any kind.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
So it is ok to raise chicken, pigs and cows to be eaten, but not dogs?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That literally makes me sick to my stomach. But what's the difference between that and a fried chicken festival.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
who knows dog might be delicious with some honey garlic and sriracha .i have my doubts but it might be

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I'm not sure your average burger is a result of the cow being skinned and boiled alive.
Is that scare tactics or how they actually cook the dogs? I find that a stretch. Boiling them alive, would boiling them alive would put all the bad parts that you don't want to eat in the pot, like the gastrointestinal tract. There is a reason we gut animals before cooking them, and the vast majority of people are not sadists and would kill the animal before skinning it. Even if just simply because it would easier to do without the animal moving.

Edit: So after a little google-fu. It looks like they do do this and that shit should be outlawed. Apparently because they believe the fear and terror releases adrenaline into the animal and makes it taste better. However, raising and eating dogs, if slaughtered to decent standards, I have no real problem with. It also seems to be a small minority cooked in this way, the vast majority are gutted and butchered.

Last edited:

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
It's the fact that it's so celebrated that I also have an issue with, as an act of 'tradition'. I'll chow (no pun intended) down on a tasty burger but I'm hardly dancing in the street at the cow's demise.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
It's the fact that it's so celebrated that I also have an issue with, as an act of 'tradition'. I'll chow (no pun intended) down on a tasty burger but I'm hardly dancing in the street at the cow's demise.
There are many, many, festivals that involve food in the west and is considered a tradition. I hope you don't mind missing out on the turkey next thanksgiving if you want to stick to those sentiments.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
There are many, many, festivals that involve food in the west and is considered a tradition. I hope you don't mind missing out on the turkey next thanksgiving if you want to stick to those sentiments.
I'm not American, so that's hardly an issue. Tell me about these Western food festivals which are to the same level as boiling dogs alive.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I'm not American, so that's hardly an issue. Tell me about these Western food festivals which are to the same level as boiling dogs alive.
The vast majority of dogs aren't boiled alive. You can see pictures of them gutted and being cooked in much larger quantities than the one picture that was of dogs being boiled alive. So, it happens, but is an outlier and whoever is doing that I hope the Chinese government arrest them for animal cruelty. However, the vast majority have been butchered using traditional methods that low tech farmers have used for centuries.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I boil my lobsters alive..... I also point and laugh while they try to crawl out

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
So after a little google-fu. It looks like they do do this and that shit should be outlawed. Apparently because they believe the fear and terror releases adrenaline into the animal and makes it taste better.
as a hunter this goes against all logic. an animal that dies quickly is said to taste better than one that suffers because of the release of hormones is said to taint the meat. i dont know if there is any truth to this or if it is used to instill a need for an ethical kill in the field.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
as a hunter this goes against all logic. an animal that dies quickly is said to taste better than one that suffers because of the release of hormones is said to taint the meat. i dont know if there is any truth to this or if it is used to instill a need for an ethical kill in the field.
Gotta look where it's coming from. They use oil from sewers for cooking and think rhino horns make their dicks hard