Chris Weidman; loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
P

Punch

Chris Weidman didn't want to talk about it. He avoided mentioning it right after the fight.

In recent weeks, though, news has leaked that Weidman had a significantly broken foot going into his fight with Luke Rockhold at UFC 194 in December. The last thing he wants is people saying he's making an excuse, but he's not going to lie about it if asked.

"I say these things, because they came out," Weidman told MMA Fighting in a recent interview. "It's a fact. There's no excuses."

Weidman (13-1) lost the middleweight title to Rockhold by fourth-round TKO in that bout. The Long Island native said he broke his foot in two places about six weeks before the fight and also needed surgery after the fight to remove bone spurs from his elbow. With that knowledge, Weidman still did not want to withdraw from the bout.

"I knew what I was getting myself into, but I still thought I could go out there and beat him," Weidman said. "Even with that stuff. And he proved that I was wrong. He came out to fight. He was better than me that night."

Weidman will get a chance at retribution when he faces Rockhold in a rematch in the main event of UFC 199 on June 4 in Los Angeles. The former champ is recovered and back to training. He said he's already in shape three months out of the clash and more motivated than ever to get back what he believes is his.

"I know what I'm capable of," Weidman said. "I know my potential and I know I wasn't close to it. The fact that because of what I've accomplished in the past gives me the opportunity to get a rematch is a great situation to be in. In most situations, people don't get the second chance, especially right away. So, I'm very grateful for the opportunity I have. There's no question in my mind that I'm gonna go out there and make a statement, completely dominate him and make sure everybody knows the last fight was a fluke."

LINK to article: Chris Weidman bent on making sure everyone knows his loss to Luke Rockhold was a 'fluke'

Tom O'Bedlam

Resident loon.
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
A fluke would be slipping on some water after the fight starts and breaking an ankle. Or tripping and falling directly into your opponents punch.

Or, walking to your corner and the corner man accidently puts grease in your eye and you're forced to withdraw.

THOSE would be flukes.

P

Punch

Was it a fluke? I'm not sure about that, because he made the mistake of throwing that wheel kick. It was fairly competitive until Weidman got taken down and pounded out, and damn did he get beat on. Good luck to both men in the rematch.

P

Punch

Well, that's not a fluke, that's a poor decision that had repercussions.
A fluke would be slipping on some water after the fight starts and breaking an ankle. Or tripping and falling directly into your opponents punch.

Or, walking to your corner and the corner man accidently puts grease in your eye and you're forced to withdraw.

THOSE would be flukes.
I have to agree with you homie, it wasn't a freak chance that made him throw that kick.

Tom O'Bedlam

Resident loon.
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Was it a fluke? I'm not sure about that, because he made the mistake of throwing that wheel kick. It was fairly competitive until Weidman got taken down and pounded out, and damn did he get beat on. Good luck to both men in the rematch.
Throwing a wheel kick with or on a broken foot is a poor strategy?

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Throwing a wheel kick with or on a broken foot is a poor strategy?
Could be why it looked like shit and got him in trouble.......though even rockhold's manager said something looked off with Chris, as well as rockhold having his issues..... Said both were off

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
That kick was only thrown with 10-20% bad intentions
Funny, but true. The intention level was close to zero. We should rate all kicks in "intention level" from now on and have a scale to measure. Like Vitor to Rockhold's skull was a 10.
Silva to vitor's a 10.
Weidman to rockhold was a -1
Liddell to banalu was an 8
Gsp to Hughes a 7
Just a thought.
We need an intention-ometer

P

Punch

Funny, but true. The intention level was close to zero. We should rate all kicks in "intention level" from now on and have a scale to measure. Like Vitor to Rockhold's skull was a 10.
Silva to vitor's a 10.
Weidman to rockhold was a -1
Liddell to banalu was an 8
Gsp to Hughes a 7
Just a thought.
We need an intention-ometer
When it redlines, it automatically lets off a Mike Goldberg, "They are throwing with bad intentions, Joe!" :D

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
When it redlines, it automatically lets off a Mike Goldberg, "They are throwing with bad intentions, Joe!" :D
It doesn't take much for gold pieces to make a comment like that. I love when hogan goes quiet after a Goldberg comment, the silence is so telling that I'm sitting there thinking that Joe should at least say something to correct him.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
It may explain why he looked twice as flat footed as usual...... BUT............ Rockhold wasn't 100% either, so.....

But calling it a fluke is just cringeworthy. Something I'd expect from his dad.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
I praise him on being a tough SOB but getting a big head and being cocky and all, sounds like him (weidman) leading up to the Rockhold fight.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
All I kniw is, Weidman's trash talk gives me the embarrassment shivers. Did you guys see that Unstoppable panel? When he was trying to burn Luke Rockhold about being on antibiotics? (???) I didn't know whether to laugh or look into some kind of smack talk translator app.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
It's amazing the contrast you see from the respect a losing fighter shows immediately after the fight as compared to after several weeks have past. Guys go from humble to back on the horse talking shit and making excuses. I think Matt Serra complained about this after GSP lost the first fight, ironically. It's like guys talk to their training partners/family/friends after they lose and suddenly they forget what it felt like to get slaughtered that fateful night, and suddenly get all bold and confident again.

wanderlei_sonnen

I want to Fuck Chuck.
Feb 29, 2016
watched this fight on fight pass a few days ago. you can hear his dad screaming that right after the finish too. embarrassing for chris, but not as embarrassing as the ufc displaying "trivia" about mcdonalds and other random nonsense during the fight replay. shameful shit

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
They both seemed abit off if im being honest but Rockhold will still finish Weidman.

BaneBreaksBacks

Victory has defeated you...
Mar 2, 2016
They both seemed abit off if im being honest but Rockhold will still finish Weidman.
I know. I thought this was super strange since it was a huge title fight. The wife, who has never trained a day in her life even said at the beginning that Weidman looked physically different. When the fight started, she said she doesn't think he is going to make it through. Things looked very strange. Especially with Weidman attempting things which were risky and dangerous. When Rockhold won, she looked at me and said...."See, he isn't the same. What's wrong with him?" With that, I think that it is a 50/50 once again.....