General Cirillos' first night on stakeout, he shot 3 armed robbers, and made 500 shitposts MEGATHREAD

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kild

Feb 11, 2018
I came here cause goggle said that there was a thread here about the Alone Tv show? I'm a big fan of the testing of gear and abilities on the show, but so far, nobody's amounted to a hoot. I dont think that the producers will EVER let it last more than 3 months before they end it, cause it will get into their profit margins too much. So far, all anyone has done is starve. Everyone's lost 1/2-1 lb per day and some are lying thru their teeth about it, too. Everyone has won by being fat and lucky.

Everyone has greivous misconceptions about what will work. They waste their calories and time on a heavy duty shelter and then starve out before winter hits. :) The only animals in evidence on Vancouver have been seals, bears, gulls, magpies and ducks. The fowl are going to migrate, and the bears will hibernate. IF they bother to get the same subsistance permit that's given to the Innuit and canadian Natives, they ARE allowed to take any animal for food, and they are allowed to do so in ways that would normally be illegal (ie, gillnetting)

Everyone seems to be hung up on the danl boone, paul bunyan, fishing with hook and line bs. It's never worked, not for 44 entrants so far. None of them have seized upon a carb source that's right in front of them. That source is kelp juice. it's not enough to really feed them, but fish and game dont offer any carbs and the lack of carbs leads to apathy, depression, just laying around. Kelp only offers 50 calories per lb, so you can't eat enough of it to do you any good. If you try, you'll just get a case of the ripping trots! But with a big wooden mortar and pestle, a coupld of hours of work will generate enough carbs to keep your brain active, so it's well worth doing.

This not knowing what to do causes them to take the wrong gear, which then means that they can't do what they need to do in order to properly feed themselves. They have no clue how many calories they need to maintain their bodyweight while being active out in the cold, wind, dampness. for 16 hours a day, while being highly stressed. Here's a clue. Top swimmers like Mike Phelps have to eat 12,000 calories per day while they are in training, and they AINT fat!

They also dont have a clue about how many calories are present in a fish or animal. Half of a fish or animal's live weight is not edible flesh. with the exception of salmon, fish and lean meat offer only 800 calories per lb, ready to eat. So a 1 lb fish (about the BIGGEST anyone has caught ) only offers 400 calories. Unless you catch several, it's not worth building a fire for eating them. One little gal went 85 days, just by knowing to do nothing but hole up in her sleeping bag. The "winners", 3 of them so far, have lasted 57, 66, 75 days. One guy managed to last 87 days, by losing 73 lbs! Had he been no bigger than the gal, she'd have beaten him by more than a month. All of his strenuous efforts just made him burn calories 3x as fast as she did.

kild

Feb 11, 2018
History channel. There's been 4 seasons so far, and a 5th is supposedly being filmed now. Since it's using failures from the past show, and they've learned nothing, it will be more of the same. I've heard that it's to be set in Mongolia, but no confirmation of that. 3 seasons have been on Vancouver Island, in Britch Columbia, Canada and one season was in Patagonia, Argentina, on a big lake. That one lasted longer cause the terrain and weather were not as hostile as on the island.

The gear that is allowed has changed a bit from season to season, so as to make it harder. Season 4, they had 2-person teams, and started them 10 miles apart. The fastest to hook up took EIGHT days. That's how thick the vegetation is, and how steep, slimy and injury prone the terrain is. 2 guys got hurt, who were the "waiters". They are given a very big list of clothing and 'safety gear", and 10 items they are allowed to pick from a short list. of about 40 items. No guns, no xbows, no pellet guns, no lighters, no fishing lures, no bait, no fishing reels, no bug netting, no bug dope, no water filter, no matches, lighter, poison. They can have a slingshot or a bow, with 6 arrows only. they can have 25 fishhooks and 300 ft of line. They can have at most 2 containers. They are given a 20x20 and a 10x10 tarp.

kild

Feb 11, 2018
They are allowed, or have been, most seasons, to bring up to 10 lbs of rations, selected from a list. Many have been too dumb to pick the pemmican or the gorp. They'll take hard candy, rice, beans, and have half as many calories. Two have cut themselves with axes. 2 have fallen and hurt themselves. Several have been scared off by bears or wolves, about half of the scarees never even saw the animal. Just saw scat, tracks, or heard "sounds' in the dark and they tapped-out! some have not lasted 1 day. Many have not lasted 2 weeks. Once their rations run out, they quit.

Nobody has hit anything with an arrow, not even a fish. Only about 6 out of 44 have taken a bow, a couple have taken a slingshot. ONE bird has been hit by a slingshot. 3 ducks have been taken either caught in the small gillnet, or by hand on the beach. Nobody has trapped more than a mouse or 2, and almost none of those. Some of them take the silliest stuff, like a bow drill, sharpening stones, bar of soap (woman)

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
They are given a 20x20 and a 10x10 tarp.
So why build a shelter? That's your shelter.

A fire is a necessity, even if for nothing but morale. I've been out in the wilderness, and the difference between having a fire and not having a fire is immeasurable.

kild

Feb 11, 2018
And welcome to the forum, bro.
thanks. I made black belt in MooDukKwan in korea in 1973. My instructor was 5th Dan in that art, and also first Dan in Judo. An honest to god bad mofo. He could do single finger pushups. He weighed 160 lbs, at 5'4", cause at the time the head of the association evaluated all the 5th dans and above, once a year, by hitting them as hard as he could with the edge of a 2x4, across the abs. So his midsection was heavy, to help him withstand that. But he could jump side kick you in the face from 10 ft away, no steps taken first.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Also - You might want to change the Subject Title to ALONE - TV SHOW or something like that. If you don't you are just going to get 15 more smartasses sending you screenshots of where the search feature is.

kild

Feb 11, 2018
So why build a shelter? That's your shelter.

A fire is a necessity, even if for nothing but morale. I've been out in the wilderness, and the difference between having a fire and not having a fire is immeasurable.

Fire is a necessity only for cooking and boiling water to drink. It comes at a high cost, exposure out in the weather, at risk of injury, burning a lot of calories. There's ways of getting it that use less than half as many calories/wood, too. Very few of them have known how to bank a fire in ashes, to preserve it while they sleep. They also dont know how to have a roof over it, vs the rain. :) It rains 12" per month average on the island, and it's worse in late fall, which is when they get dumped off.

The 10x10 is for protecting the camera. You're not to tie it up permanently or cut it. None of them have had sense enough to cut up the 20x20 into the necessary 10x10's. One for a small sleeping shelter, one for a work awning (of which the camera tarp can be a part) one for a roof over your wood-drying rack and one gets cut up for making the pontoons for your outrigger raft, making containers, etc.

Best take your 2 sets of clothing as really good wool garments, or you'll regret it. It rarely freezes on the island ,but the wind and rain really suck.

kild

Feb 11, 2018
I"m 65, 40 lbs over my fighting weight and can still do this from 6 ft away. Give me 2 months to train and diet, and it would be 8 ft away. The record standing broadjumps are 12 ft, dude, and you can stick your leg out a yard, plus your body is extended horizonally. Your ignorance is showing

kild

Feb 11, 2018
the Alone threads are ancient, and nobody seems to understand jack about what's involved. Millions of guys have been held in solitary confinement for a lot longer than 3 months, Being in the woods, with lots of gear, is a picnic by comparison. So the "mental challenge" claim for the show is bs. You CLEAR 1/4 million $ for the win, and if you do it right, you'll clear another 1/4 mill over the next 2-3 years, from endorsements, teaching classes, selling books and vids. This win can literally retire you, if you go at it properly.

kild

Feb 11, 2018
no need of the search button. Somebody posted the links to the relevant messages. I've no interest in other stuff and lot less in searching all over the site for something that belongs in the top headline. I've done too much "campin" for real to enjoy it, unless the weather's perfect and there's no bugs. :) I recently brought a young filipina bride here, and she definitely feels the same way. She's never had AC or even a fridge before in her life, so she has no interest in leaving behind her comforts. :) She's working as a CNA and pursuing a career as an RN. I'm trying to talk her out of it, cause I know how badly most nurses burn out, and the pay is shitty.

I lived in a minvan for 3 straight years, and it definitely got cold, hot and buggy. But I never experienced any stress about being alone. Never have. Normally I prefer it, unless the companion is very simpatico. I"m an Ayn Rand sort of objectivist and I'm heavily into guns and hunting, along with CCW of a pocket 9mm, competition at "combat" rifle and pistol matches. I reload, cast bullets, do my own smithing and holster making. Have a fast draw timer.

Last edited: