General Civil Unrest MEGATHREAD

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
It's a bit weird to read this discussion on this forum especially.

Sports fans are constantly feeling happy or proud for achievements they had nothing to do with, no?

Well unless you are fans of Miami anything.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Sports fans are constantly feeling happy or proud for achievements they had nothing to do with, no?

I find it weird when professional sports fans say things like "we won the super bowl", nah bitch, your fat ass got drunk and yelled at a TV.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Q @Qat you can just admit what you want to say, when a Romanian scientist makes a great achievement you feel great pride in your German loins as a fellow European. The real question, since continental geography is the most normal criteria of repping ones ancestors, what do you do about Turkey as a transcontinental country? Do you take pride only in those Turks in the European portion?

I want to be clear. If you have a German heritage and want to feel pride about celebrating your ancestral roots. So be it. Go read and learn about your German family input and whatever... In America it's usually forced where some kid whose great grandfather once drank a Guinness in Dublin gets an Irish flag tatted on his back after growing up in rural Alabama for four generations, but whatever.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Q @Qat you can just admit what you want to say, when a Romanian scientist makes a great achievement you feel great pride in your German loins as a fellow European. The real question, since continental geography is the most normal criteria of repping ones ancestors, what do you do about Turkey as a transcontinental country? Do you take pride only in those Turks in the European portion?

I want to be clear. If you have a German heritage and want to feel pride about celebrating your ancestral roots. So be it. Go read and learn about your German family input and whatever... In America it's usually forced where some kid whose great grandfather once drank a Guinness in Dublin gets an Irish flag tatted on his back after growing up in rural Alabama for four generations, but whatever.
As far as I know my heritage is through and through Prussian with a little Austria-Hungarian sprinkled in. Since the latter did hold a piece of modern Romania... my loins are very ready!

But yes it makes little difference to me if a Turkish scientist, a Philippean scientist, or even my neighbor has a big breakthrough. Unless the neighbor invites me to the party.

But the question of identity and pride is I feel a little more nuanced than "right or wrong".

You are correct though that Europe is not a hegemonic entity now, and has never been before.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You are correct though that Europe is not a hegemonic entity now, and has never been before.
That is the only real crux of my point.
It feels very much like an outsiders projection onto Europe in order to frame something new, not identify with what is actually there for centuries.

Obviously in modern Europe, as the EU became a thing and you have wrestling with EU identity, there are attempts to find common ground for peaceful diplomatic reasons and even going forward may develop some increased "European Identity". But to attribute that to input of homogenous heritage, especially skin color, would not be part of that modern Europe when discussing that linking either...nein!

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
That is the only real crux of my point.
It feels very much like an outsiders projection onto Europe in order to frame something new, not identify with what is actually there for centuries.

Obviously in modern Europe, as the EU became a thing and you have wrestling with EU identity, there are attempts to find common ground for peaceful diplomatic reasons and even going forward may develop some increased "European Identity". But to attribute that to input of homogenous heritage, especially skin color, would not be part of that modern Europe when discussing that linking either...nein!
Yep there were so many wars between European powers throughout history, the main goal of the EU is peace on the continent. It worked in centre/western Europe so far.

The push for an even closer EU I feel is more an economic one tho. As you know, in a capitalistic system, growth is the goal, and you wanna be able to have some weight to throw around in conflicts with China and the US (and for now GB).

An hegemonic European identity - unless triggered by an outside force - will take a lot of time to develop.

M

member 3289

Yep there were so many wars between European powers throughout history, the main goal of the EU is peace on the continent. It worked in centre/western Europe so far.
Thank you. Saving your asses every 20 years was getting exhausting.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Perhaps true
But if “we” can’t win an NBA championship
“We” also didn’t win or lose a war
Well you aren't part of an NBA team, if you are a US citizen, you are a US citizen and a part of the USA.