Society Cleanup of Pence family gas stations cost Indiana more than $20 million

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Perhaps the national defect at the time he took office, the defect when he left office, then comparing that to past presidencies? I don't knkw, I'm just winging it here. Like I said before, I'm not a bright man.
Did you factor in the state of the economy when Obama took office? The bail outs and all that other silly jazz you Americans got up to?

Oct 24, 2015
I'm not doing overtime for your lazy posting, but look into the national defect during the Obama years.[/QUOTE
Don't Blame Obama For Doubling The Federal Deficit
Chuck JonesContributor
Jan 15, 2018,12:04 pm• 41,229 views•#DebtBusters

Republicans use a sound bite that the federal debt doubled under Obama. In looking at the numbers that is close to being numerically correct but falls short of being 100%. However when you take into account the Great Recession, making W. Bush’s temporary tax cuts permanent, increased Social Security and Medicare spending as more Baby Boomers retire and become 65 years old and the Afghanistan and Iraq wars he inherited the story is quite different.
There are multiple databases that have dollar amounts of the Federal debt. While they have different numbers they are overall close to each other and essentially show the same dollar changes over the years. I am using information from the Federal Reserve of St. Louis.

Impact from the Great Recession

According to the U.S National Bureau of Economic Research, the Great Recession started in December 2007 and ended in June 2009. President Barack Obama was sworn in on January 20, 2009, so it had already started before he entered office.
The first thing you notice when looking at the federal deficits from fiscal 2007 (the U.S. government fiscal year ends in September) is that it increased by almost $1 trillion from fiscal 2008 (two months before Obama was elected and four months before he was sworn in) to fiscal 2009. It remained over $1 trillion per year for four years and got below Bush’s last years deficit in fiscal 2015. It continued to decrease until Obama’s last year and has increased in Trump’s first year in office.

• Fiscal 2007: $161 billion (next to last year of Bush’s second term)
  • Fiscal 2008: $459 billion (beginning impact from the Great Recession)
  • Fiscal 2009: $1.4 trillion (Obama’s first year and in the teeth of the Recession)
  • Fiscal 2010: $1.3 trillion
  • Fiscal 2011: $1.3 trillion
  • Fiscal 2012: $1.1 trillion
  • Fiscal 2013: $680 billion
  • Fiscal 2014: $485 billion
  • Fiscal 2015: $438 billion
  • Fiscal 2016: $587 billion
  • Fiscal 2017: $666 billion (Trump’s first year of his Presidency)
It is clear that the almost $1 trillion jump between fiscal 2008 and 2009 was due to the Great Recession. Tax receipts fell, expenditures rose and Obama and Congress passed the American Economy and Reinvestment Act to combat the recession.

A better way to analyze the federal debt

Using percentages is a better way of analyzing data in a lot of cases as it compensates when the data set numbers are larger or smaller from each other. Federal debt falls into this category as it increases over time. The compounding impact of growth can make using absolute numbers meaningless.

How much did the total deficit rise by each President since Reagan

Again using data from the St. Louis Federal Reserve, these are starting and ending federal debt numbers since President Reagan. I’ve computed the total percentage increase and the compounded yearly rate.

What the numbers show is that the total debt increased the most at 184% over 8 years and at the fastest rate under President Reagan at almost 14% per year. In fact, the three Republican presidents had the fastest growing debt on a yearly basis.

Reagan

• Started Presidency: $965 billion
  • Ended Presidency: $2.74 trillion
  • Increased 184% or 13.9% per year
H.W. Bush

• Started Presidency: $2.74 trillion
  • Ended Presidency: $4.23 trillion
  • Increased 54% or 11.5% per year (only in office for four years)
Clinton

• Started Presidency: $4.23 trillion
  • Ended Presidency: $5.77 trillion
  • Increased 36% or 4.0% per year

W. Bush

• Started Presidency: $5.77 trillion
  • Ended Presidency: $11.1 trillion
  • Increased 93% or 8.5% per year
Obama

• Started Presidency: $11.1 trillion
  • Ended Presidency: $19.85 trillion
  • Increased 78% or 7.5% per year
President Obama’s debt actually grew at a slower annual rate than any of the Republican presidents even though there were events that negatively impacted the deficit that started before he became President. The Great Recession is probably the biggest of them as can be seen in the yearly deficit numbers. While all politicians use data to support their positions, the sound bite that the debt doubled under Obama is very misleading.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Lol, yes, I understand obama can't be blamed for anything unless you're racist. Blame bush! Got it, heard it for 8 years (unlike any other president).

M

member 3289

Poligomy is illegal in the united states. Obama was conceived 3 months prior to the illegal marriage, but the marriage was not valid to begin with. He is a bastard.
The marriage was legally recognized by the state of Hawaii.

Stop shitting up the thread with this nonsense.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
The marriage was legally recognized by the state of Hawaii.

Stop shitting up the thread with this nonsense.
I can get married to 100 women, it doesn't make any other than the first valid if there was no divorce. Obama Sr's wedding in Kenya had no record in the united states. He was still married to his first wife, no divorce. Again, poligomy is illegal in this country, including hawaii.

Tell me this: was obama sr. married or divorced at the time of his marriage to Obama's mother. Is that or is that not legal, per law?

Oct 24, 2015
Fuck it, you win. Damn you Obama!!!!!!!!
Going to smoke some weed and head to sleep. Love is key fellas. ( no homo, not that there is anything wrong with that) Let that hate go.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Fuck it, you win. Damn you Obama!!!!!!!!
Going to smoke some weed and head to sleep. Love is key fellas. ( no homo, not that there is anything wrong with that) Let that hate go.
No hate here, and I'm sorry to have ruffled your feathers.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Tell me this: was obama sr. married or divorced at the time of his marriage to Obama's mother. Is that or is that not legal, per law?
How the fuck did you get to this point in less than 2 pages?

The thread is about Pence and the $20 million clean up bill his family stiffed the American tax payers with.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Just reading the articles - did they actually OWN the gas stations?

Founded as an oil distributor by businessman Carl Kiel in 1960, the company expanded into the gas station business. Pence's father, Edward, joined in the early years and, by the mid-1970s, rose to corporate vice president.

Mike Pence says he worked for the business — which mostly operated under the name Tobacco Road — starting at age 14. But it was his brother who took over after Edward Pence's 1988 death and eventually became president.

By the early 2000s, Kiel Bros. was swimming in debt as industry consolidation and low gas prices stretched profit margins to the brink. The business racked up environmental fines and closed stores. In June 2004, Greg Pence resigned as the company filed for bankruptcy.
Mike worked there when he was 14 years old.

His father, Edward Pence, worked there in the 70s and rose to corporate vice president. When Edward died in 1988, Greg Pence (Mike's brother) took over his father's old position and eventually became president. In the 2000s business turned bad and in 2004 Greg resigned when the company filed for bankruptcy.

It sounds like the Pence family were employees of this company - not the owners. How do they qualify as "Pence Family Gas Stations"?

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
As long as the people in power can make the common person fight among themselves being Democrat or Republican, they don't have to answer for their theft from the American public. The political elite from all sides are fighting against the American public not for the American public.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I'm trying to justify what exactly?
I think his point is also one that I agree with and it's the one that drives me absolutely insane about so many internet discussions.

His point is that this particular topic had nothing to do with Obama but the thread was turned to him anyway.

Every time someone brings up Clinton people start spewing unrelated shit towards Trump or Bush.

If they bring up Trump then it's turned towards Clinton or Obama, etc.

It's all bullshit. It's almost impossible for people to talk about a specific topic without people immediately jumping in and pointing fingers at an opposing side. It accomplishes nothing.

It doesn't even have to be political but that's where it's the most obvious. If I make a positive comment about something the UFC did then someone rushes to bash them about something different and talk about how amazing Bellator is while ignoring their shortcomings.

We seem to lack the ability to remain objective and remain on topic anymore.

In this instance, a company that Pence's family controlled for a period of time stuck Indiana with a bill.

Also, since it veered this way. Obama, justified or not, increased the fuck out of the deficit and ultimately affected my paycheck. Doing so also helped my father and screwed my mother over.

So...

Everyone sucks. Especially when it leads to divisiveness due to everyone being so defensive that they can't see that everyone sucks.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Just reading the articles - did they actually OWN the gas stations?

Mike worked there when he was 14 years old.

His father, Edward Pence, worked there in the 70s and rose to corporate vice president. When Edward died in 1988, Greg Pence (Mike's brother) took over his father's old position and eventually became president. In the 2000s business turned bad and in 2004 Greg resigned when the company filed for bankruptcy.

It sounds like the Pence family were employees of this company - not the owners. How do they qualify as "Pence Family Gas Stations"?
Mike STARTED working there at 14.

If Mike Pence was just a regular employee, why did he lose $600,000 when it went bankrupt?

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
From FOX News:

Kiel Bros. Oil Co., once owned by the Pence family, left behind contaminated sites in Indiana, Kentucky and Illinois since the company filed for bankruptcy in 2004, the Associated Press reported. Indiana alone has spent at least $21 million on cleanups thus far, or an average of about $500,000 per site, the report said.

Last edited: