CM Punk didn’t train at the open workouts due to ‘severe anxiety’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

CM Punk appeared at the UFC 225 open workouts as scheduled, but the former pro-wrestler chose to just speak to the fans and media instead of actually hosting a public training session. Initially, he said this was to acclimate his body and train at the same time he will be fighting, but now the former WWE star admits that the decision was also due to anxiety.

“It’s a scheduling thing and it’s an anxiety thing,” CM Punk said during a media scrum as to why he didn’t workout for the public. “I got severe anxiety. Unfortunately it is (something I deal with in day-to-day life).”

Punk, whose real name is Phil Brooks, says that he normally gets anxious when surrounded by a lot of people, but explains that it also happens…

CM Punk didn’t train during UFC 225 open workouts due to ‘severe anxiety’

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I really want to see him get a win Saturday night. I've come to really respect the guy and his willingness to put it all out there.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I'll let everyone else pile in on the easy pickings here, but it actually makes sense to me that in Punk's position, open workouts would be far more nerve-wracking than the fight.

The fight you're full of adrenaline and you have tunnel vision, whatever happens, happens. But Punk knows he is just an amateur that has a million people laughing at him and wanting to see him lose - having all those cunts standing around watching you hit pads would eat balls.

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015
I really want to see him get a win Saturday night. I've come to really respect the guy and his willingness to put it all out there.
Jokes aside the guy is a class act.....respectful, intelligent and honest.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
if he has anxiety problems that bad his fight IQ and composure in the fight is going to be terrible and jackson seems to have an excellent cross he will get amana nunes'd against a fence.

M

member 3289

Lol @ the pansies in this thread.

This fake fighter is pulling a Rhonda Rousey.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Imagine a real fighter not doing an open workout because of anxiety. We would all be laughing at him or her.

GSP is famous for talking about nerves before a fight but not during pad work, even if it’s in front of a few thousand people.

I would shit my pants but I’m not a fighter and I don’t pretend to be one. If I was, an open workout would be the least of my worries I’m sure.

I like Phil Brooks but lol. I hope we don’t get another Justine Kish or Tim Sylvia shit incident. Actually, I hope we do.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Imagine a real fighter not doing an open workout because of anxiety. We would all be laughing at him or her.
You mean like Nick Diaz just not showing up at all?

I'm pretty sure opinion was split with a lot of people having his back.

Sounds like CM Punk check the box for what was contractually obligated.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
You mean like Nick Diaz just not showing up at all?

I'm pretty sure opinion was split with a lot of people having his back.

Sounds like CM Punk check the box for what was contractually obligated.
Nick has severe anxiety and that is a good point. He’s the only one I think that has done that. We all know come fight night he fights though. I also think he thinks open workouts are stupid and for bitches.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I also think he thinks open workouts are stupid and for bitches

I think that was the opinion of about half that users at the time too.

I have to give CM Punk a pass. There's literally no reason that he needs to be doing what he's doing except he wants to do it for himself.
He can make more money and get more eyes on him doing wrestling related items.

After getting shut down the first fight there's really no reason he needs to be back except he wants to do it.

He didn't choose his privileged position. We all know damn well why he's on the main card. And we'll all look and watch because of it. So it worked.

How much shit can I give a 38 year old man for taking the opportunity of a lifetime to challenge himself in the fight game? Maybe doing the open workout would totally psyche him out for the Big Show, fuck up what he's been building.

I can't be too angry that he showed up like the UFC requires and then is honest about why he didn't do the open workout. He could have just glossed over it about keeping his style secret since he's new. But he didn't and I can't be too angry for it.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
I think it's cool, who cares about open workout.

better than having anxiety for during the fight and after

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Karo parisayan career was ruined because of anxiety. I had real bad anxiety years ago and no joke you feel like you are going to die. Sick thing to overcome but it is 100 percent possible to do it. You honestly have to really have a strong mind and control over yourself.

M

member 3289

Wut

"If it was up to me I would be the first fight on Fight Pass"

Remember all the times that Ronda Rousey said things like that?
Waaah I can't work out in front of the public cuz they'll see how bad I suck at fighting waaah

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Waaah I can't work out in front of the public cuz they'll see how bad I suck at fighting waaah

I'll PayPal you $50 to post a 50 second long video of you working out. A dollar a second. CM Punk type money.

Needs to be high-quality. Horizontal video. You must be wearing work out gear that shows your movements. Face clearly visible. All the same stuff you'd expect in an open work out.

Shadow boxing for 50 seconds, curls for 50 seconds, burpees for 50 seconds. A circuit of the three are some qualifying examples.