Coach: Ben Askren would have been UFC champion if he’d joined earlier

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

There will always be questions about just how good Ben Askren was in his prime, with some feeling he was a top-five welterweight for years and others wondering how his credentials stacked up to the UFC’s elite.

It wasn’t until this past year that Askren had the opportunity to step into the Octagon after winning world titles in Bellator and ONE Championship and going undefeated in his first 19 pro bouts. While all three of his UFC appearances were memorable, the results did little to impress skeptics or those who were seeing Askren compete for the first time.

Askren went 1-2 in 2019, with his one win being a controversial submission win over Robbie Lawler and one of his losses being a five-second knockout at the hands of Jorge Masvidal. Following a second straight loss to Demian Maia, Askren announced that he would be retiring from MMA competition at the age of 35.

We’ll never know how Askren would have fared against the likes of Georges St-Pierre and Rory MacDonald, two elite welterweights who he’d expressed a desire to compete against on several occasions, but his coach Duke Roufus believes that if Askren had come to the UFC a few years earlier, the sky would have been the limit.

WEWEREONABREAK

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Nope, never would have even reached the level that he did if the build up of his career had been in the UFC instead of the B leagues. Sorry to be harsh but he's retired so I'd like this nonsense to end now. I can put up with the ridiculous claim, from him, that he'd break GSP if he's active at least. But if he's not even fighting anymore then why?

I'm sorry to Ben. What happened to him was humiliating and I genuinely wouldn't wish that on probably 99.99% of the planet. But let it stop now, please.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Sure... While he could have been fighting GSP, RORY, ROBBIE, PRE-USADA HENDRICKS, etc he was fighting killers like NOBUTATSU SUZUKI. It's clear that the competition was at the same level and he would have had the same level of success.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Honestly I don't think he would have ever been champion but would have been exactly like Maia where he's always borderline top 5 and will give almost everyone a fit. Only difference between the two in my eyes is that he would have been able to Chael Sonnen himself into more title fights than Maia ever could.

Nemo?

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Dec 2, 2015
Honestly there’s some truth to what Duke is saying but Askren would have needs to start pulsing lol there’s guys his size fighting at lightweight. I am curious how much of a cut he went through to make 170 besides loading off a bit of his love handles.

Keung

Banned
Jun 28, 2017

There will always be questions about just how good Ben Askren was in his prime, with some feeling he was a top-five welterweight for years and others wondering how his credentials stacked up to the UFC’s elite.

It wasn’t until this past year that Askren had the opportunity to step into the Octagon after winning world titles in Bellator and ONE Championship and going undefeated in his first 19 pro bouts. While all three of his UFC appearances were memorable, the results did little to impress skeptics or those who were seeing Askren compete for the first time.

Askren went 1-2 in 2019, with his one win being a controversial submission win over Robbie Lawler and one of his losses being a five-second knockout at the hands of Jorge Masvidal. Following a second straight loss to Demian Maia, Askren announced that he would be retiring from MMA competition at the age of 35.

We’ll never know how Askren would have fared against the likes of Georges St-Pierre and Rory MacDonald, two elite welterweights who he’d expressed a desire to compete against on several occasions, but his coach Duke Roufus believes that if Askren had come to the UFC a few years earlier, the sky would have been the limit.

Going to post a source or sit there with a thumb in your butt ?

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Earlier, later, now it doesn’t matter. It all would have been the same.

these things apply only to folks who’s performances have a stark contrast between pre-usada or post usada