Coach: Jon Jones back in the gym helping his team, but may never fight in UFC again

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

It's been just over a month since former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was involved in a hit-and-run car accident, one that sent a pregnant woman to the hospital, and we still don't know whether or not "Bones" is going to do time.

That's up to these guys.

It should come as not surprise then to learn that Jones is not worrying about if and when he will ever return to mixed martial arts (MMA). But that doesn't mean he can't be showing up for work everyday at Greg Jackson's gym in Albuquerque, New Mexico, to help his team prepare for combat.

Coach Mike Winkeljohn talks to Submission Radio:

"Jon is gonna make the best of it. He's doing all the right things. He was in the gym helping Andrei Arlovski for his fight, he's in the gym helping others right now. So he's gone back to help others, stop doing those things that get you in trouble and go forward. And so I'm looking forward to Jon turning his life around and becoming a better person. If he fights again or not, I'm not sure, but that's not important. What's real important right now is Jon getting help for himself and his family. Everybody seems to forget other things, but at the end of the day it's about Jon Jones becoming the best person he can. The fighting is secondary. And we lose sight of it. A lot of people lose sight of that and stuff. So there's a possibility that he might not fight, there's a possibility he might fight. I know right now he's staying busy helping others in the gym and that's very important."

Jones is expected back in court by the end of the month.

Coach: Jon Jones back in the gym helping his team, but may never fight in UFC again - MMAmania.com

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Say what you will about Jon Jones the person, but it will be a travesty for the sport and the fans if he never fights again.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
if he don't fight it will remind me of Bo Jackson...But hes achieved the pinacle but didnt go near as far as he could have if he never fights again...

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
if he don't fight it will remind me of Bo Jackson...But hes achieved the pinacle but didnt go near as far as he could have if he never fights again...
Good call. I watched that 30 for 30 again last night. That dude was amazing. Best athlete of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
C'mon....He'll fight again.
You're not showing Jon the sympathy some want.

Everybody seems to forget other things, but at the end of the day it's about Jon Jones becoming the best person he can. The fighting is secondary. And we lose sight of it. A lot of people lose sight of that and stuff. So there's a possibility that he might not fight, there's a possibility he might fight.
IMO the first and most important one who forgot these things was Jon himself, not sure why the finger seems to be pointing at "everybody". I really hope to see Jones fight again but when I read things like this I feel like its an effort to get sympathy going for Jon.

Mma fans have been reminded (feels like threatened) that poor Jon might not be able to perform for us anymore so we better offer more help. For a guy his age he had the world on a string and he fucked it up, multiple times over and its finally caught up. I want to see him fight but I have zero concern about how he will get back in there.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Good call. I watched that 30 for 30 again last night. That dude was amazing. Best athlete of all time.

shooting bullseyes with his fucking feet thats just plain showin off...He could be a champion in ANY sport if he trained in it...Dude was like 250 and ran what top DB run their 40 in...this sound like an appreciation thread in the making

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015

Apples and oranges. To live through that Bo Jackson era, and to actually be there to see him play for the Raiders and Royals? There is no comparing that to anybody really. The anticipation you felt every time he touched the ball playing for the Raiders was something I'll probably never experience again. There weren't enough days in the year for all the sports Bo could've competed in, and excelled at. See what you did? Now I have to watch that episode of 30 for 30 again.

Jon Jones will be back, and all this talk about him not coming back appears to be some kind of passive aggressive PR ploy to get this reaction, "Oh no, I barely had a chance to appreciate Jon's greatness, and now he might be gone forever!" One day he really will be gone, whether it's due to age or an actual injury (hopefully not), and so appreciating him as one of the best mixed martial artists of his era isn't such a bad thing.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
he is going to have to fight again one day .cocaine isnt cheap

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
and all this talk about him not coming back appears to be some kind of passive aggressive PR ploy to get this reaction, "Oh no, I barely had a chance to appreciate Jon's greatness, and now he might be gone forever"
I think that's exactly what it is. Trying to get people to think "noooo, don't leave us Jon", so they forget the stupid shit he's done.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I think that's exactly what it is. Trying to get people to think "noooo, don't leave us Jon", so they forget the stupid shit he's done.
could very well be and don't condone what he's done but is he not the best and does one not want to see him fight again? Conscious that he crashed into a pregnant girl and if that was my wife I would want him to pay for it - which the UFC could very well do in lieu of the potential paydays that Mr. Jones will produce - but selfishly I would like to see him fight again soon.

P

Punch

You're not showing Jon the sympathy some want.

IMO the first and most important one who forgot these things was Jon himself, not sure why the finger seems to be pointing at "everybody". I really hope to see Jones fight again but when I read things like this I feel like its an effort to get sympathy going for Jon.

Mma fans have been reminded (feels like threatened) that poor Jon might not be able to perform for us anymore so we better offer more help. For a guy his age he had the world on a string and he fucked it up, multiple times over and its finally caught up. I want to see him fight but I have zero concern about how he will get back in there.
Summed it up nicely.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
could very well be and don't condone what he's done but is he not the best and does one not want to see him fight again? Conscious that he crashed into a pregnant girl and if that was my wife I would want him to pay for it - which the UFC could very well do in lieu of the potential paydays that Mr. Jones will produce - but selfishly I would like to see him fight again soon.
I want to see him fight again, but don't expect me to feel sorry for him that he can't fight right now.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I want to see him fight again, but don't expect me to feel sorry for him that he can't fight right now.
never said i feel sorry for him....................just want to see him fight again.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Everyone loves a good comeback story. Jon and camp are just trying to script his return in a way that fans will feel sympathetic towards him. Dude should just keep his name out of the media and let his actions speak for themselves. There is a 0% chance Jon Jones doesn't compete again.

Left Hook Larry

3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
This will get swept under the rug and he will be back in late 2015/early 2016

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
never said i feel sorry for him....................just want to see him fight again.
Would I like to see him fight again? Sure. He's one of the best there is right now. Do I care if he ever returns? Not in the slightest.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I could care less if he ever fights again, I bet the eye pokes have and will continue to go down. If he fights he fights but it doesnt really matter to me.