Coach: Jon Jones injured during UFC 214 fight week, ‘couldn’t lift his arm’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Jon Jones picked up the most important — and perhaps most impressive — win of his career at UFC 214, but he may not have even been 100-percent healthy going in. Mike Winkeljohn, one of the head coaches at Albuquerque’s Jackson-Wink MMA, revealed Thursday on Submission Radio that the current light heavyweight champion injured his arm while preparing for his long-awaited rematch with Daniel Cormier during fight week.

“A couple of nights before the fight, he couldn’t lift his arm. He had hurt it wrestling,” Winkeljohn said. “He wrestled a little too hard with his partner and maybe from a lack of warm up — I’m not sure…

Coach reveals Jones got hurt days before UFC 214

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
I like Winkeljohn but this is kind of a dick move on his part. Jones won, no need to bring up injuries after the fact.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
pretty weak

Jon did get equalled for a bit there...but he won clean

why even comment

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I like Winkeljohn but this is kind of a dick move on his part. Jones won, no need to bring up injuries after the fact.

Well i actually liked this way better, if he was saying this in his post fight with rogan this would sound way more douchey.

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
VID - Jones: "and take this great injury into the fight..." freudian slip at presser? | TMMAC - The MMA Community Forum

damn, it didn't seem to effect him during his performance. cancelled the public workout prior to the fight, though

In which case I wonder what they would have told Dana & Co. why they wouldn't work out. In fact, if I was Jones I would have made a point to tell Dana "Listen Dana, fuck I'm injured, but don't worry, I'm still here. I will not let this fight fall through this time, man!"
But maybe he didn't want to tell him because of their sore relation. And to tell Ari or s.o. at WME wouldn't have given any benefit.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
He's been taking story telling lessons from Bryan callen. Couldn't lift his arm. Bollocks. Probably just ached a bit

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Jones also had 10 broken fingers, well 8 fingers and 2 thumbs, hence why there were no eye pokes and he had to resort to kicking DC in his melonious dome.