Coach: Ronda Rousey would win the women's boxing world title

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Ronda Rousey was an Olympic medal-winning judoka with little striking experience before stepping into Glendale Fighting Club. There, she has become a dangerous boxer with knockout power. Just ask Alexis Davis.

Rousey's hands have become so good that her coach, Edmond Tarverdyan, said she has never lost a round against female boxers at the gym. Does part of Tarverdyan wonder what would happen if "Rowdy" crossed over into the sweet science? Not really. He already thinks he knows.

"I know she can do it," said Tarverdyan, who was an accomplished boxer and Muay Thai fighter. "I know she wins the boxing world title. Ronda has nothing to prove to me. I know what kind of fighter I have on my hands."

Rousey meets Bethe Correia in the main event of UFC 190 on Aug. 1. The best part of Correia's game is her stand up. She is coming off a TKO win over Rousey's close friendShayna Baszler last August. Tarverdyan thinks Rousey will get the better of Correia on the feet -- and everywhere else.

He's not the only one Most others feel the same. Rousey (11-0) is as much as a 15-to-1 favorite and the fight is being called one of the biggest title mismatches in UFC history. Tarverdyan doesn't know what to do about it. Rousey, after all, has won her last two fights in a combined 30 seconds. She's finished every single one of her opponents, all but one in the first round.

"I want there to be more fighters that are great," Tarverdyan said. "She loves challenges. That's what makes her great. The reality is that the girl is just too good."

There is the potential of a fight with Cris Cyborg looming. Cyborg is the Invicta FC women's featherweight champion and one of the most feared female fighters ever. Cyborg and Rousey are 1 and 2 with regards to the best women's MMA fighters in the world, though the order is debatable.

Tarverdyan, though, doesn't think Cyborg and her incomparable knockout power will pose much of a match for Rousey.

"It doesn't matter, heavy hands," Tarverdyan said. "Ronda is too elite of an athlete. It's not about just having heavy hands. It's about being intelligent in the Octagon and Ronda is the most intelligent fighter. I witness that every day in the gym."

Cyborg would need to make Rousey's 135-pound weight class to be brought into the UFC for a title fight. It still remains to be seen if she can do it, but she said she's in the process of trying. That would be the biggest women's MMA fight of all time. But it's one that Tarverdyan brushes off just like any other.

"Ronda spars with boxing world champions that punch way harder than Cyborg," Rousey said. "Ronda has never lost a round in the gym. A round. With boxing world champions. What is Cyborg?"

The most decorated former boxer in women's MMA is Holly Holm and she's also undefeated. Holm was 33-2 as a pro boxer and three-division champion. In MMA, she has six knockouts in nine career wins. Again, Tarverdyan dismisses Holm in favor of his pupil.

"I think Ronda beats Holly Holm in a boxing match any given day, so it doesn't matter," he said.

LINK: Coach: Ronda Rousey would win the women's boxing world title - MMA Fighting

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Not to take anything away from Ronda but isn't it something like, if you're not getting beat up in the gym your training with the wrong people? It's very possible that they just can't find partners at her level, I don't know. It just seems if they're bringing in the best boxers into the gym and she's not losing rounds as he's saying something is off.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Let's see how long Ronda stands with Holly Holm if that fight is ever made. Or Cyborg. If she's a world champion caliber boxer, then why does she immediately hit the clinch as soon as leather starts flying in her fights? I get that Edmond believes in his fighter...it's commendable really. But it loses a bit of legitimacy when she doesn't want to throw hands in the octagon and only uses her boxing to get to the clinch.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
This is old. He said this a long time ago. Ronda would have to change some things if she went into boxing. Right now her boxing isn't textbook like most mma fighters who adapt boxing to fit together with the other skills they utilize. Do I think she could go into boxing and have success and win a title, yes I do, if she works at improving. She's the type of athlete that could be good to great in a lot of different combat sports.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
And himself. He may be the most hated person in the MMA industry, and the guy doesn't even fight.
The only thing people don't like about him is he's associated with Ronda. It's the reason the same people hated Schaub when they thought he was dating Ronda but when they broke up he suddenly got back on the "Bro" list. Believe me, I've been to every mma message board on the net and I know how it goes when it pertains to Ronda. Here's a list of people associated with Ronda who get hated on and criticized endlessly for things they say or do:

Schaub
Tarverdyan
Baszler
Shafir
Ronda's Mom
Duke
Ronda's dog hasn't made the list yet but I'm sure that's coming

Edmund is Ronda's boxing coach. He's not pretending to be teaching her judo throws. When she decided to do mma full time she was honest in her self evaluation and intelligent enough to recognize her weakness was having no striking skills. Edmund's job wasn't to make Ronda a boxer. It was to teach her how to incorporate boxing into her arsenal of skills. Alexis Davis's face and McMann's liver think he's done a pretty damn good job.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The only thing people don't like about him is he's associated with Ronda.
Not even close in my opinion. I agree, there's a lot of people in this world that just like to hate on people that are successful, or are associated with those that are successful. But the dislike for Edmond among MMA fans runs a lot deeper than him being associated with Ronda. The hate started because of the way he conducted himself on TUF, and has grown from there.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
This is old. He said this a long time ago. Ronda would have to change some things if she went into boxing. Right now her boxing isn't textbook like most mma fighters who adapt boxing to fit together with the other skills they utilize. Do I think she could go into boxing and have success and win a title, yes I do, if she works at improving. She's the type of athlete that could be good to great in a lot of different combat sports.
Hi Edmond.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Not even close in my opinion. I agree, there's a lot of people in this world that just like to hate on people that are successful, or are associated with those that are successful. But the dislike for Edmond among MMA fans runs a lot deeper than him being associated with Ronda. The hate started because of the way he conducted himself on TUF, and has grown from there.
I definitely believe people would base their opinion of someone they've never met on a highly edited made-for-drama TV show. You have a point. I award you one agree.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Ronda wasn't even the best in the world at Judo. She'll never be the best at boxing

Edmond owning himself against Dennis Hallman was hilarious

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I think Ronda would have equal success if she decided to go to basically any reputable gym with a good striking coach. Edmond best be thanking the gods that he won the mentor lotto.

What I would love to see is Ronda start tossing out some kicks. Personally my favorite style by far is sprawl N brawl. She can afford to take high risks because of how good she is if somebody tries to get close. It would be highly entertaining for me to watch get all Cung Le or Wonderboyish and take a bit more time in there. I'm scared to tilt my head back to get the last of my drink because the fight will be over by then.

BackOffWarchild

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
People hate Edmond Tarverdyan because he's a fucking idiot, not because he luckboxed into becoming Ronda's coach. I'll give three solid reasons:

1. TUF. He talked shit, got made to look like a bitch, then hid behind Ronda's skirt.
2. The mural. Seriously, brah.
3. He's the worst in-fight coach in the history of MMA. In fact, he's likely the worst training coach in the history of MMA. Look what he did to all of Ronda's lesbian friends, the constant screaming of "Jab!" for no reason at women that shouldn't be trying to box. Look what he did to Browne. LOOK AT THIS VIDEO:

View: https://vimeo.com/117636643

Without Ronda his camp is Team Tomato Can.

CRE

Posting Machine
Apr 24, 2015
Promotional propaganda.

Edmond probably always wanted to have one of his students become a World Champion boxer.

There is no money for Ronda in boxing. She built her brand in MMA and the UFC will never let her have contractual freedom to do boxing.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
I think people are over-estimating the state of female boxing. If anyone thinks wmma, especially the 135 lb division is shallow then look at female boxers; it's worse.

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015
This guy needs to stop making people root against Ronda for things he says.
Exactly. Edmund is a piece of trash. He lucked into the biggest golden egg ever, now he thinks he is the best trainer. I believe he is the reason for Ronda's trailer trash mentality. It's very sad.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I think people are over-estimating the state of female boxing. If anyone thinks wmma, especially the 135 lb division is shallow then look at female boxers; it's worse.
This. Look at Laila Ali, she was great, but certainly didn't dedicate her life to the craft like a male boxer would have to even get a whiff of a title. For that I award you a rainbow.

p.s. I have no idea why the rainbow starts riots, but no everyone's getting them.