Coaching styles

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

Being a coach, it's always a challenge on how you can reach and relate to your students, especially in a way that makes it easier for them to grasp the concepts and techniques we teach.

For the most part, I think that I'm pretty chill, I like to joke around as I teach, I sure as shit break balls when I teach, and I like to keep it fun........ But sometimes I'm this guy....

View: https://youtu.be/i5meLgJw6Po

Sometimes I gotta put my foot in collective asses..... So I started thinking, what style do your coaches have? What style helps you learn best?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
my coaches are always super-chill, as long as you stay in the lines.

Don't be a line-stepper.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I can bust balls and have fun but as soon as its time for business i do not fuck around and they know it and there is a fine line between coach and getting too close. I never cross it and make sure they kids all know whats up also. I have been known to snap.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
I'm chill, but everybody LOL at the way I scream instructions at the top of my lungs during competition.

I got sick of people saying, "I didn't hear you," when I'd ask why they didn't follow the instructions.

Oh, you fucking heard me. People in the damn parking lot heard me.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I just dislike coaches who teach bjj in such a rigid way, and coaches who like to have too much control over their students

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I teach in systems, so everything is structured. I answer any questions and make sure everyone understands the technique and its place in the system.

If people don't listen when I'm coaching at a competition, I stop talking. I've screamed too many times at guys who won't listen.

"GET AN UNDERHOOK! GET AN UNDERHOOK!" x15 *Guy turns his back, instead*

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I prefer “matter of fact coaching”. Straight forward information, and accurate feedback. I don’t need someone “encouraging” me by constant positive affirmations, just tell me what I am doing wrong and how to fix it.
I like a lighthearted atmosphere, but not so laid back that everyone feels like they should be doing their own thing or drilling the move once and then chatting while lounging on the mat.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
I like a laid back coach. I believe that everyone learns more when they're relaxed and having fun.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
So my son's (15) school is starting up a wrestling program. We had our first parent meeting and the coach is some martial arts guy (amazingly he never mentioned which martial art). He stood up and spoke for about 30 minutes, mainly about himself. And a little about how his background is 'kind of' like wrestling. You could feel the optimism draining from the parents. Lol. The only thing he addressed to the boys and one girl :) was that he would teach them to lose gracefully.

In the meantime, there was an elderly gentleman sitting off to the side. He had old military style inner forearm tattoos and checking everyone in the room out. If He caught your eye, he wouldn't look away first. Just calmly stare you down. Lol

This man's speech was about 2 mins. He gave a brief background. He wrestled in high school, the army, and then taught Special Ed so he could coach wrestling in high school. He is now retired and heard about the new wrestling program at a football game and "I got on the phone immediately'. He is volunteering his time. He said "the coach will do the conditioning and basics, then you're mine. I will teach you every move I know. Then it's up to you to use them when needed. And I don't care what he says, losing sucks!"

Lol, I'm digging this old man.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
My main coach is Clint Cooper and he's super chill guy, always smiling and positive and I'm certain he blazes. Our other location I go to once and a while have great staff too. The owner Jordan is laid back but he's a big guy with a big voice and reeks of self assurance. Hes really good at showing the mini details once you start getting a technique figured.

Personally I'd hate to be at a club that's too serious or militaristic. Only time I see coaches get serious is with the younger teens or pre teens and those shit heads usually deserve it. I mean why can't you just listen! Every Friday night coach does an open Q&A and whatever comes up is what we drill so we all get a chamce to voice any ideas or moves were curious about. I haven't done a no grips night but appearently it's pretty fun.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
My main coach is Clint Cooper and he's super chill guy, always smiling and positive and I'm certain he blazes. Our other location I go to once and a while have great staff too. The owner Jordan is laid back but he's a big guy with a big voice and reeks of self assurance. Hes really good at showing the mini details once you start getting a technique figured.

Personally I'd hate to be at a club that's too serious or militaristic. Only time I see coaches get serious is with the younger teens or pre teens and those shit heads usually deserve it. I mean why can't you just listen! Every Friday night coach does an open Q&A and whatever comes up is what we drill so we all get a chamce to voice any ideas or moves were curious about. I haven't done a no grips night but appearently it's pretty fun.
This. I quit basketball in high school because the coach took the game way too seriously.
Yelling does the opposite of motivating me.

The coaches at my bjj gym are pretty laid back and joke around but I'm sure they draw a line when joking around starts to affect training. Which works for me.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015