Cobbling together a sweet HTPC setup

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Well I'm not happy with my surround sound performance while running Plex on my amazon fire tv so I started looking around. I was going to get a shield tv, but then I thought $200 for an android streaming box.....nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So I decided to piece together a budget HTPC, some used parts, some new parts and this is what I got. The case will be here thursday, but I'll build it on a bench tonight to get the OS installed and updated for when I toss that bitch together.

For my fellow nerds and geeks here is my part list.

SuperMicro Full atx Motherboard (not sure the model)

Intel Xeon W3520
ARK | Intel® Xeon® Processor W3520 (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI)

8 GB corsair xms3 ddr3 memory (2 4 gig sticks)

EVGA gt 640

wd 2.5in black drive 250 gb

Seasonic X series 400w fanless platinum psu
SeaSonic X series SS-400FL Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

and for the case
a Silverstone Grandia GD09

View: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KHO0MRK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Should function well for awhile and built for under $200

Eventually I'll toss in a Samsung 850 evo ssd either 120 gb or 250gb

And then after that probably toss in a GTX 980 and get a steam remote for glorious gaming in my living room.

Should work well for my needs, can't wait to test it on Friday for Bellator! woooohoooooo

Last edited:

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Found another video card laying around (shown in pic) and also picked up a 120gb ssd last night as well. Will install Windows 10 this morning, plex home theater, the Netflix app, cccp, and possibly a microphone because I'd really like to be able to sit on my couch and say "hey Cortana, launch netflix"

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So Cortana works OK, probably need a better mic and she needs to learn my voice more