Coker concerned about CA's new weight cutting rules

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

California's new weight-cutting regulations are giving Bellator MMA pause.

Promotion president Scott Coker told MMA Fighting in a recent sitdown that he is "concerned" about the stricter rules on weight cutting and dehydration and is unsure about bringing a big title fight to California in the future.

"I think that they're reacting, but I think the consequences could be impacting, like how do you feel comfortable bringing a title fight here that has to make a certain weight on a certain date?" Coker said. "It's gonna be tough. They have their job to do, but we have our job to do as well."

Earlier this month, the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) passed a package of new, emergency rules regarding the extreme weight cuts prevalent in mixed martial arts. CSAC banned IVs to rehydrate, lengthened the potential time between weigh-ins and the fight and made severe dehydration a strict thing doctors must look for on fight day.

The latter thing seems to be the most disconcerting for Coker. The Bellator boss, who lives in San Jose, Calif., and typically runs a good amount of shows in the state, does not want to be put in a tough position if a doctor pulls the plug on one of his top fights at the 11th hour.

"I'm perfectly fine with what [CSAC executive officer Andy Foster is] implementing and I hope it's something that can evolve," Coker said. "But as a promoter, if fighter X shows up, fighter Z shows up, we have national TV there -- and then, oh, the fight is off? You're .002 over [on the test] and the doctor says you can't fight? It could be really problematic for us. I'm gonna talk to Andy about it. I'm sure it'll all work out.

"It doesn't mean we'll stop promoting there, it's just that we might not bring title fights or fights that you're worried about somebody making weight."

LINK: Scott Coker unsure if he'd bring Bellator title fight to California with new weight-cutting rules

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
To re-iterate before anyone says Coker is 'pro weight cutting' or anything- all he's saying is that they'll still have fights in CA, they just might not have title fights there.

ErikMagraken

Posting Machine
Apr 9, 2015
California has banned fighters from competing if their physicians find they show signs of severe dehydration at weigh ins. No promoter should be against such a standard. It should be universal in the regulation of the sport.

The regulation of the sport is only as strong as its weakest link. Promoters can jurisdiction shop. Its important for AC's to get on the same page when it comes to sensible safety standards.

Carbazel

Freelance MMA Analyst
Aug 8, 2015
He could bring Bellator back to NJ, lord knows they like having fights of all kinds in my home state and Atlantic City could use the revenue.

BanMe

Banished
Feb 9, 2016
It's troubling to hear a promoter say things like this. The IV ban, while still controversial, is generally accepted as a good step towards protecting the fighters. For a promoter to be against things that protect his or her fighters is a shameful thing, in my opinion.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It's troubling to hear a promoter say things like this. The IV ban, while still controversial, is generally accepted as a good step towards protecting the fighters. For a promoter to be against things that protect his or her fighters is a shameful thing, in my opinion.
I dont think he's against it. Just mitigating the risk of a card falling apart because of the process....so no title fights there. Will still do events in Cali however.