Coker files injunction to have Rampage removed from UFC 186

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/2/...ampage-jackson

The future of former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton Jackson is anything but clear.

Despite leaving Bellator in December of 2014 after three fights with the organization and being booked opposite Fabio Maldanado at UFC 186 in a return to the world's leading MMA promotion, Bellator MMA has filed a court injunction to stop Jackson over what they say is a breach of the terms of their active, existing deal with 'Rampage'.

"Today, Bellator MMA was compelled to go to court to stop Quinton "Rampage" Jackson from fighting in an April 25th bout promoted by Bellator's competitor, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)," a statement released Monday by the organization read.

"Jackson, who has completed only three fights of his exclusive six-fight contract with Bellator, is barred by contract from fighting for any promoter other than Bellator. Our lawsuit for an injunction and related relief - filed in the Chancery Division of the Superior Court in Burlington County, New Jersey - will compel Jackson to honor his contractual agreement. We look forward to having one of our MMA stars fighting for Bellator again."

Let the games begin!

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Here we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
lol @ rampage. unappreciative of his fans, thinks everyone owes him something, talks shit abouts fans, talks shit about ufc, talks shit about bellator, now this happens.
lie in that bed.

Hired Gun

If You Only Knew What I Dooooo
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Good for him. Coker can run circles around Dana. Wait until he signs Fedor(which I truly believe he will).

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I Wild Each It;n33186 said:
You know Dana is fuming about this...

I don't know.

Doesn't this prove that the UFC isn't a monopoly?

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Coker can't really want to hang on to Rampage this badly. Nor can he possibly think Rampage will drive PPV's for Zuffa. So maybe this is just a way to test the strength of his contracts, to see how the courts will view them.

Conspiracy bonus: Coker agreed to let Dana steal Rampage, so that when the courts rule that Rampage has to fulfull his Bellator contract, UFC won't look like an unfair player in the market. In exchange Dana agrees to do something beneficial for Coker/Bellator.

MahatmaPetey

Feb 26, 2015
I'm sure Dana and Lorenzo knew this would happen. It looks like they're using Rampage to make Bellator look bad and gain possible leverage in the lawsuit against them.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Dougie;n33221 said:
I don't know.

Doesn't this prove that the UFC isn't a monopoly?
This is exactly why Coker and Dana might be working together on this. It's so convenient, the timing. Personally, I don't see how Rampage gets out of his Bellator contract. Dana has to know this; Coker knows this; even Rampage knows this. A court ruling in favor of Bellator should help UFC in their anti-trust suit. In my layman's opinion.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Good point. I mean it's obvious you can't fight in another org if you're contracted for a rival. What made Rampage believe he could just leave Bellator? He had to have a reason he truly believed, right?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
D241;33248 said:
Good point. I mean it's obvious you can't fight in another org if you're contracted for a rival. What made Rampage believe he could just leave Bellator? He had to have a reason he truly believed, right?
He claims they breached the contract by not doing his reality show, and other contractual obligations that he would have been paid for. I'll see if I can find the article later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
D241;33171 said:
lol @ rampage. unappreciative of his fans, thinks everyone owes him something, talks shit abouts fans, talks shit about ufc, talks shit about bellator, now this happens.
lie in that bed.
The grass is always greener on the other side!

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
*Something* is up here. We know Zuffa isn't above playing dirty, since their entire acquisition of the UFC was taken from page one of the
Great Book of Tricks.

No proof of this, of course. But I can see UFC making it worth Coker's while, and it's basically risk-free on both their ends. Although, just to point out one (among many) possible objections, Rampage isn't the sharpest doorknob in the sack, so if there is something shady happening, he probably doesn't know about it. Letting him know about it would be very risky given his instability as a person. So there's that against it. But still. We have spidey-senses for a reason, and mine are tingling.

Mertvaya Ruka

Feb 14, 2015
Was just a matter of time, I guess Zuffa thinks they can win this somehow if they signed Rampage.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
WoodenPupa;n33251 said:
*Something* is up here. We know Zuffa isn't above playing dirty, since their entire acquisition of the UFC was taken from page one of the
Great Book of Tricks.

No proof of this, of course. But I can see UFC making it worth Coker's while, and it's basically risk-free on both their ends. Although, just to point out one (among many) possible objections, Rampage isn't the sharpest doorknob in the sack, so if there is something shady happening, he probably doesn't know about it. Letting him know about it would be very risky given his instability as a person. So there's that against it. But still. We have spidey-senses for a reason, and mine are tingling.

I do have to acknowledge that your point out about Zuffa not being above playing dirty, combined with the fact that Zuffa has been doing this for about 15 years and know the ins and outs of fighter contracts, does make one wonder if something shady is going on.

UFC has lawyers who look at fighters contracts to make sure they aren't breached. I find it hard to believe that a fighter with a high profile like Rampage, would have a contract that "OOPS, UFC Lawyers missed".

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I dont remember who it was, but I think it was FRB who was talking about Rampage's Bellator contract guaranteeing him his fights would be on PPV and they were supposed to make multiple reality shows around him or something like that. And then Coker took over and said they wouldn't be doing a ppv again which possibly put them in breach of Rampage's contract.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
Okay, that makes some sense. Dammit, I was about to stick my x-files tape on the window.