Colby Covington is not a draw - A case study in Media bubbles

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Short version: Colby Covington is not a draw and the MMA media is comprised of hacks.

Long version:

So many of you on this site are deranged hillbillies who froth at the mouth every time you hear the word 'media'. But this reaction is not entirely unjustified. Sometimes the media is deliberately manipulative but at other times what often happens is that media people only talk to each other and not realize that they are simply perpetuating some shit that other media people pulled out of their anus.

Case in point - Colby Covington. I've just been watching a Luke Thomas video - I do this as a form of self-flagellation as punishment for masturbating to re-runs of Caroline in the City. He goes on this bizarre rant about how the UFC is no longer interested in money fights and is deliberately spiting itself by not making Tyron Woodley vs Colby Covington, which according to him is the 'biggest fight at WW not including GSP', because they value activity more than anything else.

Now his claim that Woodley vs Colby is the biggest fight at WW is almost true by default - there are currently no big fights at WW - but it's actually not a true statement. Either Diaz brother would be a bigger fight and there is no evidence that Usman or Wonderboy wouldn't draw the same as Colby. So essentially Luke's entire silly rant is built upon a false premise. The UFC has not moved to some new paradigm of ignoring money fights, it's just that Colby isn't a money fight.

Luke is not alone in this nonsense. A lot of MMA media figures have talked Colby up as if his trash talk = dollars. But it's just bubble nonsense. Colby has co-mained a PPV that did 250k and has never headlined an event. He has spent most of his career on the prelims. He's not a draw at all. Yet it keeps getting repeated.

In conclusion, Luke Thomas should comb the dangleberries out of his beard.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Short version: Colby Covington is not a draw and the MMA media is comprised of hacks.

Long version:

So many of you on this site are deranged hillbillies who froth at the mouth every time you hear the word 'media'. But this reaction is not entirely unjustified. Sometimes the media is deliberately manipulative but at other times what often happens is that media people only talk to each other and not realize that they are simply perpetuating some shit that other media people pulled out of their anus.

Case in point - Colby Covington. I've just been watching a Luke Thomas video - I do this as a form of self-flagellation as punishment for masturbating to re-runs of Caroline in the City. He goes on this bizarre rant about how the UFC is no longer interested in money fights and is deliberately spiting itself by not making Tyron Woodley vs Colby Covington, which according to him is the 'biggest fight at WW not including GSP', because they value activity more than anything else.

Now his claim that Woodley vs Colby is the biggest fight at WW is almost true by default - there are currently no big fights at WW - but it's actually not a true statement. Either Diaz brother would be a bigger fight and there is no evidence that Usman or Wonderboy wouldn't draw the same as Colby. So essentially Luke's entire silly rant is built upon a false premise. The UFC has not moved to some new paradigm of ignoring money fights, it's just that Colby isn't a money fight.

Luke is not alone in this nonsense. A lot of MMA media figures have talked Colby up as if his trash talk = dollars. But it's just bubble nonsense. Colby has co-mained a PPV that did 250k and has never headlined an event. He has spent most of his career on the prelims. He's not a draw at all. Yet it keeps getting repeated.

The only way that Woodley is a draw is if he's fighting GSP, a Diaz, or Conor. Outside of that it doesn't matter who you match him up with it's not going to sell.

That also means that unless you're one of those fighters that I mentioned and you fight at 170... You're not a draw and are completely interchangeable to a casual fan.

Colby ain't shit even with that interim belt and his dumb MAGA gimmick.

The UFC is going to match up guys that are willing to fight when they want them to fight unless you actually make a difference in how much money they make. If you don't make money and constantly duck fights then you're going to get passed over no matter how "deserving" you may be.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
woodly, askren,usman,colby they are all boring as fuck askren is the only one with a personality and they all are boring to watch.
We need Fitch back. Boring as fuck but at least he was totally fucked up my the ww GOAT and never quit.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
woodly, askren,usman,colby they are all boring as fuck askren is the only one with a personality and they all are boring to watch.
A little harsh on T-Wood. Can stink up the octagon with the best of them, but can at least spark guys out too unlike the rest.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
The only way that Woodley is a draw is if he's fighting GSP, a Diaz, or Conor. Outside of that it doesn't matter who you match him up with it's not going to sell.

That also means that unless you're one of those fighters that I mentioned and you fight at 170... You're not a draw and are completely interchangeable to a casual fan.

Colby ain't shit even with that interim belt and his dumb MAGA gimmick.

The UFC is going to match up guys that are willing to fight when they want them to fight unless you actually make a difference in how much money they make. If you don't make money and constantly duck fights then you're going to get passed over no matter how "deserving" you may be.
Yep. But that's the bizarre thing about Thomas' rant. There's a few MAGA types who have their panties bunched up because they think Colby 'deserves' the fight - even though Usman clearly deserves it more - but that's not what Luke is talking about. He somehow thinks Colby-T-Wood is a 'money' fight, which is the most retarded thing I've heard for some time.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015

Long version:

You listen to puke Thomas ?

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Dude I thought I was the only one!
She gets totally naked full bush style in that shitty football movie with Tom cruise
Nice. But unfortunately I'm masturbating to how funny it is. I'm a pervert.