Cold War Home Built 26 Feet Underground

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Underground shelters built in fear of a nuclear attack were usually cramped spaces with just enough amenities to survive a few months. When wealthy recluse Girard “Jerry” B. Henderson built his Cold War bunker in 1978, he decided to ride out the end of the world in style.

The subterranean paradise at 3970 Spencer St. in Las Vegas was built 26 feet underground. At ground level a 2-bedroom caretaker house sits on the property. In the backyard, ventilation and air-conditioning units jut up from the dirt. Rocks conceal stairways and an elevator that lead down to the AstroTurf-covered front yard of the home below.

With its own generator and fuel tank, the home could sustain life for a year with a fully-stocked pantry in the event of a nuclear attack.

Henderson’s underground retreat includes a pool, two jacuzzis, a sauna, an outdoor BBQ grill inside a large fake rock, a dance floor, a putting green in the garden, adjustable light settings to match various times of the day and a hand-painting 360-degree mural of locations familiar to Henderson. A one-bedroom guest cabana is located beside the pool.

A tunnel once connected the house to the office building next door where Henderson worked, but that property was sold separately after Henderson’s death and the tunnel was filled in.

The Las Vegas house was the second bunker home designed and constructed by Texas contractors Kenneth and Jay Swayze for Henderson at a cost of $10 million. The first home is located somewhere near Boulder, Colorado.

Jay Swayze was a passionate advocate of underground living, authoring a book titledUnderground gardens & homes: The best of two worlds, above and below.

After Henderson’s death in 1983, followed by his wife’s in 1989, the property passed to a distant relative. It was sold, and then lost to the bank due to foreclosure. It can be yours now for a mere $1.7 million, down from the 2001 price tag of $8 million.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
I can't decide if I want to buy this place or have nightmares about it.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i would totally live in that thing. it would be nice and cool while the suckers on the surface are 50c/122f .id put in a small hydroponic garden for tomatoes and other veggies plus the obvious chronic.it would be a slice of heaven.1.7 million is a bargain for a house like that.houses are expensive where i live .i dont think using it for a doomsday bunker would be that cool but a place to hang out smoke weed and putt while grilling underground.sign me up

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
i would totally live in that thing. it would be nice and cool while the suckers on the surface are 50c/122f .id put in a small hydroponic garden for tomatoes and other veggies plus the obvious chronic.it would be a slice of heaven.1.7 million is a bargain for a house like that.houses are expensive where i live .i dont think using it for a doomsday bunker would be that cool but a place to hang out smoke weed and putt while grilling underground.sign me up
include me in every last one if your ideas..we could set up Mats and weights also..