Comics Trivia Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
1) True or False - Dr. Strange, Chewbacca, and Captain America were part of Linda Ronstadt's band.

2) Who came up with the black costume for Spider-Man?

3) True or False - Prince wanted to buy Marvel Comics in the late 1990's because he wanted to play Spider-Man in a movie.

4) What is the real reason why the Hulk turned from gray to green?

5) Why was Spider-Man's name hyphenated?

6) Dave Cockrum designed 2 popular characters that ended up in the Uncanny X-Men. However, they were designed originally for which team and comic title?

7) The font Comic Sans is based on which actual comic?

8) Our real life Universe exists in the Marvel Multiverse. What is the designation of our Earth in the MM?

9) Who owns The Daily Planet?

10) True or False - Wolverine faced off against Mr. Spock. Spock won.

11) How many Batcaves are there? 0, 1, 2, 8, 10, 54?

12) Which supervillain once served as the Iranian ambassador for the United Nations?

13) True or False - Clark Kent exists in the Marvel Universe.

14) In the 1970's, which superhero witnessed Richard Nixon committing suicide shortly after the Watergate scandal?

15) Which DC book was the first to bear the "Elseworlds" logo?

P

Punch

wow dude your nerd card is huge.

without looking them up I only know the answers to a few of these.

9. Lex luthor
10. True (vulcan neck pinch ftw)
12. The joker
14. Captain America

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
wow dude your nerd card is huge.
I'm a 'geek' and not a 'nerd' lol at me (you and everyone else's retort: "that's what all nerds say!")

Actually I know some of these, but most I didn't. I googled to start a thread on another forum. Copying and pasting here to get the ball rolling.

without looking them up I only know the answers to a few of these.

9. Lex luthor
10. True (vulcan neck pinch ftw)
12. The joker
14. Captain America
From my sources:

9. Lex luthor - Incorrect.

10. True (vulcan neck pinch ftw). Incorrect - it was a draw. Although some Spock fans say it's open to interpretation and claim Spock won.

12. The joker - Correct! You are a bigger geek than me!

14. Captain America - Correct! You are a bigger geek than me!

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
4) printing issues
Leigh with the correct!

Hulk was originally grey when he was introduced, but became green to compensate for poor color separations used to print comics in the ’60s.

P

Punch

Fuck, i could've sworn those two i missed were right. Maybe i should bone up on my comics lore again. I haven't read anything new since the 90's minus a few tpb's.

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
Fuck, i could've sworn those two i missed were right. Maybe i should bone up on my comics lore again. I haven't read anything new since the 90's minus a few tpb's.
If you want reco's, just ask, some of the new members including Leigh should be able to reco some great reads for you.

I have weird tastes, not all my reco's are mainstream 'great' but i liked/loved them.

P

Punch

If it's superheroes in big epic battles with badass villains, that's my shit. Speaking of, if anyone wants a good laugh go checkout comichead. That guy posts some funny videos.

P

Punch

I remember Captain America became "Nomad" after that Nixon incident for a while. One of the worst costume designs ever. No capes!

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
My recommendations for newer stuff would be:

JMS run in Thor (includes the epic beating of Ironman)
Thor, God of Thunder (includes Gore the God Butcher)
Injustice volumes 1 & 2. 3 started to jump the shark
Invincible. Start at the beginning

Last edited:

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
16. Who is the voice of Gideon, Dr. Harrison Wells' computer?

17. How many men and women have held the mantle of the Immortal Iron Fist?

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
Sorry Geek Havenites! Been busy working

1) True or False - Dr. Strange, Chewbacca, and Captain America were part of Linda Ronstadt's band.

False. It wasn't Chewy, it was actually C-3PO with Dr. Strange, Cap, and Linda Ronstadt.

2) Who came up with the black costume for Spider-Man?

Jim Shooter, Marvel’s editor-in-chief in the ’80s, bought the idea for Spider-Man’s black costume from a fan (Randy Schueller)for $220, and gave the fan a shot at writing the comic, though that didn’t work out. The black costume was introduced as an alien “symbiote” and eventually became one of Spider-Man’s most famous villains, Venom.

Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed Extra: Randy Schueller's Brush With Comic History - Comics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book ResourcesComics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book Resources

3) True or False - Prince wanted to buy Marvel Comics in the late 1990's because he wanted to play Spider-Man in a movie.

False. It wasn't Prince, it was Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson Wanted To Be Spider-Man & Tried To Buy Marvel Comics

Hulk was originally grey when he was introduced, but became green to compensate for poor color separations used to print comics in the ’60s.

5) Why was Spider-Man's name hyphenated?

Stan Lee put a hyphen in Spider-Man’s name so it would look different from Superman in print.

6) Dave Cockrum designed 2 popular characters that ended up in the Uncanny X-Men. However, they were designed originally for which team and comic title?

Dave Cockrum designed early versions of key X-Men characters Nightcrawler and Storm for use in The Outsiders, a spinoff of DC’s Legion of Super-Heroes.

7) The font Comic Sans is based on which actual comic?

The font Comic Sans is based on Dave Gibbons’ lettering in the Watchmen comic books. (He calls the font “dreadful.”)

The inspiration for Comic Sans gives his verdict on this 'awful' font | Interview | Creative Bloq

8) Our real life Universe exists in the Marvel Multiverse. What is the designation of our Earth in the MM?

Earth-1218

Earth-1218 - Marvel Comics Database

9) Who owns The Daily Planet?

Wayne Enterprises.

Wayne Enterprises - DC Comics Database

10) True or False - Wolverine faced off against Mr. Spock. Spock won.

False. It was a draw. Although Spock fans may claim Spock won.

Again With the Comics: Wolverine Versus Spock!

11) How many Batcaves are there? 0, 1, 2, 8, 10, 54?

They say "Hindsight is 20/20." Neglected to post Pre-New-52. The total is 8.

The Central Batcave

Located fifty feet below the bottom of Robinson Park Reservoir, is accessible through a secret entrance at the foot of one of the Twelve Caesar statues at the north end of the park. This safe house was put out of commission by Poison Ivy, her "Feraks," and Clayface.

The Batcave South

It is a boiler room of a derelict shipping yard on the docks across from Paris Island. This safe house is accessible through a number of false manholes planted throughout Old Gotham streets.

The Batcave South-Central

Is located in the Old Gotham prototype subway station, a four-block stretch of track sealed in 1896 and forgotten.

The Northwest Batcave

Is a safe house located in the sub-basement of Arkham Asylum. Batman secretly stocked it with emergency rations, all-terrain vehicles, and battery-powered communication equipment.

Batcave East

Is an abandoned oil refinery owned by Wayne Enterprises. It fell out of use during a gasoline crisis when the company moved all its holdings offshore decades ago.

The Los Angeles Batcave

Was used as a headquarters by the Outsiders when Batman rejoined the group. Another was introduced in 2002's Fugitive story arc, this time in the form of an abandoned submarine.

Bat Bunker

Under the penthouse of the Wayne Foundation building, there is a secret bunker. As of Batman #687, Dick Grayson has taken to using this as his Batcave, stating that he wishes to embody the role of Batman in a way that is specific to him as well as getting closer to the action in the city. The bunker is as well-equipped as the original Batcave, including the Subway Rocket vehicle stationed beneath the bunker.

Arkham Cave

Bruce created an Arkham Bat-cave when he found a secret location in Arkham Asylum called "Dead-Man's Point." This was where criminals came to commit suicide. Batman jumps off and bat-glides to this location from 100 feet up. An armored Bat-suit, batgrapple and bat bombs are examples of what is stored here.

There are also various secured penthouses scattered across Gotham City, as well as both across the country and around the world. Each has some form of emergency lock down and comes equipped with gadgets, vehicles, rations and medical supplies.

Batcave (Location) - Comic Vine

12) Which supervillain once served as the Iranian ambassador for the United Nations?

Batman: A Death in the Family ran in issues #426-429 (1988-89); fans and even non-fans recall the story as the one wherein Robin (Jason Todd, not Dick Grayson) died.

Along the way his killer, the Joker, becomes the Iranian Ambassador to the United Nations.

13) True or False - Clark Kent exists in the Marvel Universe.

True. Clark is just an ordinary newspaper and tv journalist. First appearance X-Men #98 (Oct 1971)

Clark Kent (Earth-616 version)

14) In the 1970's, which superhero witnessed Richard Nixon committing suicide shortly after the Watergate scandal?

Captain America No. 175, published a month before Nixon resigned over the Watergate scandal. In the storyline, Cap is trying to smoke out a corrupt top government official who’s hatching an evil plan to enslave the entire country.

The story arc, written by Steve Englehart, came to a head in 1975 when Cap tracks the mastermind down inside the White House. The baddie, cornered and isolated, decides to take his own life. Although we never see Nixon’s face on the panels, Englehart later said “Cap followed a criminal conspiracy into the White House and saw the President commit suicide.” He goes on to say “People often ask if Marvel hassled me for the political vibe in this series and others, and the honest answer is that they almost never did. It was a wonderful place to be creative. Here, I intended to say the President was Nixon, but wasn’t sure if Marvel would allow it and so censored myself–probably unnecessarily.”

15) Which DC book was the first to bear the "Elseworlds" logo?

This was a trick question. I would've accept either answer.

In 1989 DC comics copyrighted the ‘Elseworlds’ name, along with the now famous logo and published its first official Elseworlds title, “Gotham by Gaslight”. Though this story does not carry the Elseworlds logo, it was retroactively changed to be the first official Elseworlds title by DC and reprints of the book carry the logo. This story was a fresh take on Batman who lived in the Victorian Age instead of modern day. The main Villain in the piece is Jack the Ripper who has come to Gotham.

The first book to officially bear the Elseworlds logo and mantra was Batman: Holy Terror, written by TV writer and novelistAlan Brennert and illustrated by Detective Comics stalwart Norm Breyfogle. In it, Batman is a priest in a theocratic dictatorship who discovers that his parents were murdered by the Church. Searching for answers and vengeance, he discovers the dark secrets at the heart of his own government, and ultimately becomes a terrorist to dismantle the system which murdered “heretics” such as his parents.

Elseworlds (Concept) - Comic Vine

16) Who is the voice of Gideon, the computer used by Dr. Harrison Wells on The Flash?

Morena Baccarin is the voice of Gideon. She is also currently in the tv series Gotham as Dr. Leslie Thompkins.

17. How many men and women have held the mantle of the Immortal Iron Fist?

In Immortal Iron Fist Vol 3, we find out:

"There have been sixty-six men and women to carry the mantle of The Immortal Iron Fist throughout the ages - men and women of great courage, valor, skill, and sacrifice. Sixty-six men and women have stood between man and the unstoppable forces of evil, willing to give all they have to hold back the hordes."

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
18) Name the first comic where each page was a 'splash page', that is, the page was only one panel which filled the whole page.

buicken

Apr 22, 2015
There is a Walt Simonson Thor all splash page comic. He fights the mingard serpent. I don't think it was the first tho. I would guess a Wally wood book.

Last edited:

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
There is a Walt Simonson Thor all splash page comic. He fights the mingard serpent. I don't think it was the first tho. I would guess a Wally wood book.
cool, i didn't read all of simonson's thor yet, will be on lookout for it

will give others a chance before i reveal answers