VID Conor McGregor: GSP & Anderson not on my level

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE7qU29bAKg

Remember when Ronda Rousey said she made more money per second than Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

Sure, the UFC women’s bantamweight champ was a little off on her calculation, if the figures from Forbes’ list of top-paid women’s athletes are accurate. Still, it was a good way of cutting the boxing king’s $300 million rake-in down to size.

UFC interim featherweight champ Conor McGregor has figured out another way to do the same, using age to put him over Mayweather and other renowned UFC champs on the scale of popularity and wealth.

“As far as them searching for stars since Georges (St-Pierre) and Anderson (Silva), bring George and Anderson back,” he said this past week in Las Vegas. “You think they’re on this level? You think they were 26 years of age with all these records, with these numbers? No they weren’t. Not even Floyd was 26 with this record and these numbers.

“I have the game in the palm of my hand, and they know it, and I know it, and they know I know it.”

LINK: Conor McGregor joins Ronda Rousey in cutting Floyd Mayweather Jr. down to size | MMAjunkie

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Interesting interview. It makes me curious about how friendly the Conor/UFC relationship will be in the future. Conor knows he's a money making machine, and he expects his cut of the revenue. Listen to the interview and give your thoughts.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
"I will sit down with my business partners and we will talk business"

Conor has a unique view of his relationship to the UFC.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
"I will sit down with my business partners and we will talk business"

Conor has a unique view of his relationship to the UFC.
Conor has massive negotiating power. It's safe to say He and Ronda are UFC's two biggest stars. They will do anything to keep them happy.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
“I have the game in the palm of my hand, and they know it, and I know it, and they (UFC) know I know it.”

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
His leverage on negotiating is right there with Brocks..

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
He's too focused on his age... "Look how young I am with these (sales) records..."
GSP sold tickets again and again and again...why? because he was a draw that kept winning. Also, did Anderson ever prove to be a draw on his own?

Conor might be one Frankie Edgar fight away from having to really see what his draw is in a larger context. Many people have bought his hype. And even hype isn't the right word, because its hardly like he's been exposed. I don't mean it as a pejorative. But rather, the rest of us are debating his Aldo fight, the bad matchup that Edgar brings to the table, the difficulty Conor will have at the top of 155 should he move that direction.

Conor talks that he is fast ("155 is stuck in the mud", etc.) and movement, etc. Objectively, Conor has an amazing left and uses a long stance that makes him excellent at the current weight class for which he is fighting. But there's a point in which the talk does tip toe into hype as we watch Mendes hold him down on short notice and have to consider what Conor will actually look like against other competition.

So what does that all have to do with the carefully crafted look, trash talk, etc.??? None of those things work if Conor starts losing. A loud mouth that wins is a runaway train and the sky is the limit. People love to hate/watch the heel that just won't lose. That's Conor right now. Conor on the right string of opponents has a perfect personality to milk this cow for years. But what happens if the objective facts come to bear. The right schedule of Aldo, Edgar, even Mendes, and especially any of the top 5 at 155 all could put Conor on a backslide that would last longer than 18-24 months.

Conor isn't Ronda when it comes to skills gap in the competition, but he talks like he is. And that disparity is where talk becomes hype.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
He's too focused on his age... "Look how young I am with these (sales) records..."
GSP sold tickets again and again and again...why? because he was a draw that kept winning. Also, did Anderson ever prove to be a draw on his own?

Conor might be one Frankie Edgar fight away from having to really see what his draw is in a larger context. Many people have bought his hype. And even hype isn't the right word, because its hardly like he's been exposed. I don't mean it as a pejorative. But rather, the rest of us are debating his Aldo fight, the bad matchup that Edgar brings to the table, the difficulty Conor will have at the top of 155 should he move that direction.

Conor talks that he is fast ("155 is stuck in the mud", etc.) and movement, etc. Objectively, Conor has an amazing left and uses a long stance that makes him excellent at the current weight class for which he is fighting. But there's a point in which the talk does tip toe into hype as we watch Mendes hold him down on short notice and have to consider what Conor will actually look like against other competition.

So what does that all have to do with the carefully crafted look, trash talk, etc.??? None of those things work if Conor starts losing. A loud mouth that wins is a runaway train and the sky is the limit. People love to hate/watch the heel that just won't lose. That's Conor right now. Conor on the right string of opponents has a perfect personality to milk this cow for years. But what happens if the objective facts come to bear. The right schedule of Aldo, Edgar, even Mendes, and especially any of the top 5 at 155 all could put Conor on a backslide that would last longer than 18-24 months.

Conor isn't Ronda when it comes to skills gap in the competition, but he talks like he is. And that disparity is where talk becomes hype.
As far as moving up to 155 and losing is concerned. BJ moved up, lost, came back down and increased his ppv sells through doing this. Moving up and losing doesn't seem like a death nail in of itself, as it is seen as challenging yourself, I guess.

Last edited:

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
He isnt wrong except they are miles ahead of him in skill and competition. He talks a good game but that pretty much it until he is faced with the competition level they have been faced with

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
As far as moving up to 155 and losing is concerned. BJ moved up, lost, came back down and increased his pvp sells through doing this. Moving up and losing doesn't seem like a death nail in of itself, as it is seen as challenging yourself, I guess.

Of course... Going up first gives an out or its testing himslef, depending on context and timing.
The right schedule, Conor is here for years and no one will ever top his draw without the sport growing dramatically. But that schedule making will have to be as crafted as his image. It will require the right context like you describe to insulate any loss. The wrong order can easily become 4+ losses in a row and looking like he is leaving a division out of requirement, not choice.

Or Conor is the second coming and will walk through everyone at both weight classes. Aldo, Edgar, Prepped Mendes, Cerrone, Khabib, Pettis, Dos Anjos...he's gonna walk through them all.

BTW, I think Benson Henderson would be a good first fight for 155 if he is going to demand going up in weight.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
He is far and away the greater in that group of Anderson, GSP, Brock, even Rhonda, as far as arrogance goes.

Can't really get excited about a featherweight who's best win in the UFC, out of a handful of fights, was a fight he was losing against a good competitor on short notice.

He's fought in Stockholm, Ireland, Boston2x, now Vegas 2X.
He's spent 100X more time garbage talking than he's actually had time in the UFC's octagon.

Anderson Silva had a more impressive highlight reel in one fight, 60 lbs. heavier.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Of course... Going up first gives an out or its testing himslef, depending on context and timing.
The right schedule, Conor is here for years and no one will ever top his draw without the sport growing dramatically. But that schedule making will have to be as crafted as his image. It will require the right context like you describe to insulate any loss. The wrong order can easily become 4+ losses in a row and looking like he is leaving a division out of requirement, not choice.

Or Conor is the second coming and will walk through everyone at both weight classes. Aldo, Edgar, Prepped Mendes, Cerrone, Khabib, Pettis, Dos Anjos...he's gonna walk through them all.

BTW, I think Benson Henderson would be a good first fight for 155 if he is going to demand going up in weight.
I dont see him walking thru any of those guys.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
He isnt wrong except they are miles ahead of him in skill and competition. He talks a good game but that pretty much it until he is faced with the competition level they have been faced with
I'm starting to notice that the trash talk is rarely about his skill anymore and more often than not about revenue generation.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm starting to notice that the trash talk is rarely about his skill anymore and more often than not about revenue generation.
Correct. Also any records he mentions having aren't performance based but more so business acheivments. Nothing wrong with this being his focus but I'm more impressed with winning records against top level opponents on a regular basis. Being paid more doesn't mean you're the better fighter, James Toney made 1/2 million in his debut and lost embarrassingly.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Conor has massive negotiating power. It's safe to say He and Ronda are UFC's two biggest stars. They will do anything to keep them happy.
Fact!

I like the difference in behaviour between Ronda and Conor when dealing with Zuffa, Ronda I'm sure has outstanding negotiators working for her, and she clearly knows what the story is as we say round these parts. But there is a definite deference when directly talking to or about the UFC she knows her worth but isn't pushing it. It's kinda like a favourite daughter.

Conor is always reminding them who the numbers are for he seems to take pleasure in reminding them it's the Conor show, he knows they need him and isn't letting anyone forget it. It's a cool little contrast in style I love watching unfold.