Conor McGregor is RTÉ Sportsperson of the Year, says he could go on to ‘conquer’ boxing

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
On Saturday, UFC sensation Conor McGregor was announced as the 2016 RTÉ Sportsperson of the Year.

The award comes after ‘The Notorious’ captured the lightweight title at UFC 205 to become the promotion’s first ever simultaneous two-division champion. McGregor was stripped of the featherweight belt just two weeks later, but that doesn’t take away from his momentous achievement on Nov. 12.

The Irishman beat the likes of Annalise Murphy and Paul O’Donovan, two Irish silver medalists who were also nominated for the award.

With another feather to his cap, McGregor announced that he is very serious about conquering the boxing scene.

"I can go now and conquer the boxing scene,” he told Clare McNamara of RTÉ Sport (h/t Joe.ie’s Carl Kinsella). That's a very serious thought and a very serious conversation that is happening.”

McGregor has traded verbal barbs with pound-for-pound boxing great Floyd Mayweather Jr., and talks of a mega fight between the two fighters gained some steam after McGregor’s acquisition of a California-state boxing license last month.

"I certainly don't need him (Mayweather). I could go and fight some local schmuck,” McGregor said. "Of course the Floyd fight is the fight the public want to see. It's the fight we all want to happen."

The 28-year-old Dublin-based talent is currently listed as the No. 2 ranked pound-for-pound fighter in the world and is 9-1 in the UFC. McGregor is one of the best technical boxers in the sport of MMA, but it remains to be seen whether those skills would cross over in the boxing ring.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
He could make enough money fighting Mayweather to retire and never have to fight in the UFC again.

UFC talking money, need a hearing aid

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
lol wut? good luck with that .lets have a 0-0 boxer with no ammy record fight the best boxer of our time

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Being named the best athlete in Ireland is the equivalent of being named the prettiest girl in a burns unit.

Muridae83

Posting Machine
Nov 3, 2016
lol wut? good luck with that .lets have a 0-0 boxer with no ammy record fight the best boxer of our time
u sure about him not having ammy record? i havent found any evidence but i also heard he was a decent amatuer boxer in Ireland before going to MMA. Im not sure about this but if hes going into Boxing hes gonna have to pull out those records and heavily rely on them to get sanctioned fights.

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
What's the thing in the background of the interview that's smoking?

An air freshener of some sort??

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Laughable re: the boxing nonsense. Conor is just trolling. He would get abused by journeymen boxers.

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
Ronda Rousey is great because of her judo , Conor is great because of his boxing..
Please don't compare the 2 , but you will see Rousey knock out Nunes in the first 3 mins . so stay tuned.