Conservatives facing criminal investigation over election law violation for the 4th election in a ro

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Conservatives facing criminal investigation over election law violation for the 4th election in a row | ThinkPol
The Conservative Party of Canada is facing a criminal investigation over allegations that one of its candidates ordered senior members of his campaign team to tear down opponents’ election signs while putting up his own, making it the fourth time in as many elections that the ruling party has come under a criminal probe over election law violations.

The Peel Regional Police has launched an investigation over the incident that was caught on camera by a Liberal volunteer on Tuesday night, Detective Paul McNairn confirmed last evening.

“I don’t care,” one of the vandals is heard saying in the footage justifying his actions. “I’m doing my job.”

Under section 325(1) of the Canada Elections Act, “No person shall prevent or otherwise impair the transmission to the public of an election advertising message,” including election signs as outlined in section 495(1) of the Canada Elections Act, and the offence carries a maximum fine of $5,000 and up to six months in jail.

The Liberal team identified the men shown on the video as Balkar Jhutti, a major donor to Brampton Centre Tory incumbent Bal Gosal, and Harvinder Rai, but the police have yet to confirm the identities of the vandals.

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Kind of like when the liberals had that guy who defaced their signed and he turned out to be a liberal supporter trying to get people to feel sorry for the Liberals and the liberals quickly fired him?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
In my riding they caught the Conservative candidate taking down signs encouraging people to strategically vote, lol.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Are they legit election signs?
Because they concern the election, yes. Technically they were illegal because they didn't say who had paid for them, but it's 100% illegal for a citizen, in this case the person the signs speak out against, to remove an election sign whether the sign is legal or not.

"Elections Canada sign regulations say it's illegal for anyone to remove an election sign, including a third-party sign, unless it's a "public authority" such as the municipality or province doing it for public safety reasons."

Lamont Cranston

First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Because they concern the election, yes. Technically they were illegal because they didn't say who had paid for them, but it's 100% illegal for a citizen, in this case the person the signs speak out against, to remove an election sign whether the sign is legal or not.

"Elections Canada sign regulations say it's illegal for anyone to remove an election sign, including a third-party sign, unless it's a "public authority" such as the municipality or province doing it for public safety reasons."
Removing an election sign is bullsh*t because it should be up to the choice of the people and I have no problem with people getting charged no matter who they represent if they do it.

An illegal sign though is fair game. If they didn't go through elections Canada to get it approved.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Removing an election sign is bullsh*t because it should be up to the choice of the people and I have no problem with people getting charged no matter who they represent if they do it.

An illegal sign though is fair game. If they didn't go through elections Canada to get it approved.
Elections Canada doesn't have to approve signs. It's also illegal to remove them even if they are illegal signs. Elections Canada said he fucked up, the City said he fucked up, and the guy admitted he fucked up.

Lamont Cranston

First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Elections Canada doesn't have to approve signs. It's also illegal to remove them even if they are illegal signs. Elections Canada said he fucked up, the City said he fucked up, and the guy admitted he fucked up.
Well, that's interesting. I was told they have to be a sign for an approved party but apparently that is not the case. The guy should have called the appropriate authorities and had them removed.

He f*cked up and now that's on him.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Well, that's interesting. I was told they have to be a sign for an approved party but apparently that is not the case. The guy should have called the appropriate authorities and had them removed.

He f*cked up and now that's on him.
What's funniest about it is that it's a tight race and strategic voting (which I fucking hate) could realistically be the difference between this dipshit winning and losing, and he pulls this nonsense. Luckily for him Sun media is the only real "news" outlet, so it flew right under the radar, lol.