General Considering a career change (again)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
It's dawned on me that my current tax role finishes in a week and I'll have to go back to delivering food to support myself until something better comes along. It will be the second straight year I find myself in this predicament and, with myself turning 34 in March, I think something has to give.

It's frustrating, because I'm constantly getting good feedback from colleagues, clients and supervisors in my tax roles. I know I have what it takes, and I know that every May and June I'll have 5-6 job offers come flying at me. Trouble is they are almost always only for 3-4 months. I'm doing a Tax Agent Certification course right now, which should allow me to register as a Tax Agent and do my own thing, but it's a jungle out there, and I think at best that will be a high paying side gig (which I aim to pursue regardless of whatever happens).

I know it concerns my partner that we can't really pursue long term goals right now. I'm good with my money so I can always pay my way, but saving when doing deliveries is hard. I want a lot of same things she does, so as I said, after nearly two years and only getting temp gigs between June and October, I think something has to give.

So what am I thinking about doing instead? Believe it or not I'm thinking about Primary School teaching. I have a bit of a child soul, so I tend to get along well with kids (particularly those between, say, 4 and 10) and I find that as I get older, I'm becoming more patient than what I used to be. I know the work can be demanding though - it's a lot more than just rocking up at 9am and leaving at 3pm.

I also don't know much more. I'd love to hear stories and advice for people who may know anyone who teaches, or who has kids (and therefore is exposed to teachers etc). I'm aiming at doing the same to people I know, and have done so already (I know a few high school teachers, and I don't think I'd last teaching fucking teenagers hahaha).

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Here is an idea for you. I don't kniw what a tax agent is, but I'm assuming it is similar to a cpa in the states. People get into tax trouble all the time. Some governments allow for a one time tax relief (multiple years owed, not filed, etc..., and allowing a one time settlement to place them back into compliance). This is a year round job, and there are plenty of potential customers, if you can get the word out that you help with this. You do the negotiating on behalf of the client for a fee.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Here is an idea for you. I don't kniw what a tax agent is, but I'm assuming it is similar to a cpa in the states. People get into tax trouble all the time. Some governments allow for a one time tax relief (multiple years owed, not filed, etc..., and allowing a one time settlement to place them back into compliance). This is a year round job, and there are plenty of potential customers, if you can get the word out that you help with this. You do the negotiating on behalf of the client for a fee.
A tax agent does do that. We have CPA as well (which I was also studying, but taking a break). In Australia a Registered tax Agent can do people's tax obligations for a fee. I know I can get some work from people I know and their referrals, but it's competitive out there. There are a few big fish and a lot of people below that just taking crumbs. As I say I think I can get to a point where I can make $20, even $25K profit from my own work, but that's not enough.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
A tax agent does do that. We have CPA as well (which I was also studying, but taking a break). In Australia a Registered tax Agent can do people's tax obligations for a fee. I know I can get some work from people I know and their referrals, but it's competitive out there. There are a few big fish and a lot of people below that just taking crumbs. As I say I think I can get to a point where I can make $20, even $25K profit from my own work, but that's not enough.
My suggestion was specializing in negotiating delinquent tax debt. This would also bring in money for doing/filing people's taxes. Typically people with tax burden problems know others with similar issues, so word of mouth would spread. You end up double dipping because you're first of all doing their taxes to get them filed, then you are negotiating on their behalf. If you are reasonable in your filing fees, this will be repeated business year after year. In the united states, tax code is complicated, so most pay for this service. If you're also the "good guy" fighting for a reasonable settlement for those delinquent, I'd imagine that would lead to friends, family, other degenerates etc... for more business.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
My suggestion was specializing in negotiating delinquent tax debt. This would also bring in money for doing/filing people's taxes. Typically people with tax burden problems know others with similar issues, so word of mouth would spread. You end up double dipping because you're first of all doing their taxes to get them filed, then you are negotiating on their behalf. If you are reasonable in your filing fees, this will be repeated business year after year. In the united states, tax code is complicated, so most pay for this service. If you're also the "good guy" fighting for a reasonable settlement for those delinquent, I'd imagine that would lead to friends, family, other degenerates etc... for more business.
I get it man, but in Australia negotiating/writing off debts is a normal part of a tax accountant's job. One of my main duties in my last few jobs was contacting the tax office (our version of the IRS) and doing just that for my client. So yeh it could be a service I offer, but most tax agents also offer this service.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I get it man, but in Australia negotiating/writing off debts is a normal part of a tax accountant's job. One of my main duties in my last few jobs was contacting the tax office (our version of the IRS) and doing just that for my client. So yeh it could be a service I offer, but most tax agents also offer this service.
I am talking about those delinquent on filing/paying taxes for multiple years. Maybe you were too. In the united states the irs sometimes allows for a one time negotiation to bring people into compliance with tax code. Hypothetically, let's say someone owes $100k in taxes debt plus penalties for not filing for 5 years. They may be able to settle for $5k if they can prove a burden, living paycheck to paycheck, no assets with equity etc... As long as they pay the $5k in the time worked out (one time lump sum, 12-24 months in installments, or whatever is negotiated), that is all they have to pay as long as they stay within compliance with taxes from that day forward. If they don't file or don't pay taxes in the future, that money owed plus penalties will be reimposed. This is a specialty service in the states, and quite lucrative.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
I am talking about those delinquent on filing/paying taxes for multiple years. Maybe you were too. In the united states the irs sometimes allows for a one time negotiation to bring people into compliance with tax code. Hypothetically, let's say someone owes $100k in taxes debt plus penalties for not filing for 5 years. They may be able to settle for $5k if they can prove a burden, living paycheck to paycheck, no assets with equity etc... As long as they pay the $5k in the time worked out (one time lump sum, 12-24 months in installments, or whatever is negotiated), that is all they have to pay as long as they stay within compliance with taxes from that day forward. If they don't file or don't pay taxes in the future, that money owed plus penalties will be reimposed. This is a specialty service in the states, and quite lucrative.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I've done this in the past for people who haven't lodged for years (one guy, for example, was in jail for 4 years and he got penalised for those years - pretty easy one as I just called them up, said he was in jail and had no obligations. Bam. $4K of penalties withdrawn). It's not really considered a 'specialty' service here as I suppose the penalties aren't so strict (tax office writes them easy if we just ask them to and give a half-assed reason).

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I've done this in the past for people who haven't lodged for years (one guy, for example, was in jail for 4 years and he got penalised for those years - pretty easy one as I just called them up, said he was in jail and had no obligations. Bam. $4K of penalties withdrawn). It's not really considered a 'specialty' service here as I suppose the penalties aren't so strict (tax office writes them easy if we just ask them to and give a half-assed reason).
Oh. Ok, next idea is become a male stripper. Year round job and quite lucrative, if you gyrate your hips properly, plus way more fun than taxes. If you wear the hat in your avatar plus a mask, your stage name could be zorro. If you whip out your dick and piss on bitches (or blokes -did I say that right?), huge tips!

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Oh. Ok, next idea is become a male stripper. Year round job and quite lucrative, if you gyrate your hips properly, plus way more fun than taxes. If you wear the hat in your avatar plus a mask, your stage name could be zorro. If you whip out your dick and piss on bitches (or blokes -did I say that right?), huge tips!

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Your upper lips are too thin for me.
Just ordered burgers and this is the first time in years they recognized me as a white guy.
I only have one upper lip, but I hear ya.
Since when are you white? What kind of darkies are you running around with?

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Ever thought about teaching esl?
I have. I was really close to going to South Korea back in 2006 to teach it, but decided otherwise. I also joined a few online english teaching companies that let you choose sessions and link to students, but never really committed to it.

My gf has a pretty good job so I can't really move overseas etc. Maybe one day though!