Cormier details injury which forced him out of UFC 197

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The lower leg injury which ultimately forced UFC light heavyweight championDaniel Cormier out of his UFC 197 title defense against Jon Jones wasn't one of those moments in which the injured party immediately knew something really bad just went down.

"I was in practice sparring," Cormier said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour, "and I kicked one of my partners [with an] inside low kick and he checked it. And I fell down, and I was ‘ahh, that was painful,' and [trainer] Bob Cook was laughing. We get kick checked all the time. Sometimes you bruise your shin, and in a couple days it passes."

When the injury hadn't healed over the weekend, Cormier went to a doctor to get it checked out. And while he found out the leg wasn't broken, the prognosis made it clear his spot in the April 23 bout in Las Vegas was in jeopardy.

When Cormier and his camp contacted UFC execs Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White, to Cormier's surprise, the UFC braintrust urged him to sit out and let his injury heal.

"Something very surprising happened," Cormier said. "Jon and I will make a lot of money together, we make a lot of money for the UFC too. But when I told them I was going to see it through the weekend, those guys were, ‘Daniel you're hurt. Looking at your MRI, you need 5-6 weeks, so even if sat on your ass, for the next three weeks before they fight, you'd still need at least two weeks to start feeling better, and they're like, you know DC, you worked very hard to get to where you are today. You're the champion, you don't have to fight hurt. We can't put you in situation you're not healthy, we don't want you to fight in those circumstance. They made decision for me. I begged them, I was like give me until Monday, please."

LINK: Daniel Cormier details injury which forced him out of UFC 197 fight with Jon Jones

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
LMAO at that conversation having taken place anything like that. I sense the UFC is feeling the backlash from the softball they're throwing for 200 and are excited to possibly book DC/Jones then.

Stillmatic

Posting Machine
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
what is the injury?
am i missing something here?
is it a bone bruise? Is a bone bruise a real thing?
I'm confused, can someone help?

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
zuffa wants jones to be the champ again. DC is just holding the belt for him.when DC called up and said he was hurt it was time to enact plan b and get jones an interim title shot vs a long shot in OSP.either way jones is probably going to be holding a belt soon and a unification bout between DC and bones is even easier to hype than the fight they just had to cancel due to injury

M

member 3289

LMAO at that conversation having taken place anything like that. I sense the UFC is feeling the backlash from the softball they're throwing for 200 and are excited to possibly book DC/Jones then.
Exactly what I was about to say. Lol @ Enzo and the goof giving a fuck if a guy fights hurt

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Coward is running from the scene of a crime without checking on person you hurt. Coward is refusing to fight Gustafson. Coward is ufc 151</p>&mdash; Daniel Cormier (@dc_mma) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/dc_mma/status/717137676772593664
">April 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm a Jones fan and I want to see him beat he holy hell outta DC(nothing against the guy, but he's fighting my fighter).

But, this was quite possibly the best shit out of that entire thing.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
zuffa wants jones to be the champ again. DC is just holding the belt for him.when DC called up and said he was hurt it was time to enact plan b and get jones an interim title shot vs a long shot in OSP.either way jones is probably going to be holding a belt soon and a unification bout between DC and bones is even easier to hype than the fight they just had to cancel due to injury
Maybe not. Jones may have gone over into diminishing returns territory on the whole "heel" thing. They may see him as a liability now. He looks like he has a personality disorder. I doubt Lorenzo is failing to consider that, at this point. He seems to be a guy who notices what's going on around him -- "the sane one."

Or I could have him/them read completely wrong.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i find it strange that egg and tiny would urge him not to fight and then faster than melting snow in vegas egg makes the fight interim title. Sounds like it was all a set up

M

member 603

All DC had to say was "AKA's gonna AKA"..... Look checking kicks suck A LOT, and I've walked out of the gym after countless training sessions with a good limp after checking a few hard kicks.. But go home and ice it, put some tiger balm on it, pop a few Aleave's, wear a compression sock, and do it again tomorrow.

I'm thinking DC maybe did hairline crack his shin and doesn't want to say that (because he knows JBJ will use that low front push on his leg).... So instead he took the " let me look like a bitch" route instead of fully disclosing the injury..... That's my tinfoil hat theory

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
if JJ ever loses (not by DQ), what way do you guys think it will be by? KO, submission or decision?

i could see DC getting a tko on jones, idk who in LHW would be able to catch JJ in a submission so i feel like the only way to beat him is to get a T(KO), otherwise you will get finished or decisioned

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
unless OSP pulls major upset which will be the greatest upset in UFC history