General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
On the positive side, at least Melbourne is getting some international attention now instead of Sydney.

When I'm in the US, instead of people looking at me blankly when I say 'I'm from Melbourne. It's kind of like Sydney and we have bridges there too, just no silly effeminate opera house', now some will respond 'ah yes, you are from that dystopian Orwellian police state nightmare city'.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Throughout Victoria or only in Melbourne?
I assume the whole state. We don't have separate local police forces or metropolitan/rural forces- there's just the Victorian Police and that's it.

There's not really much of a state outside Melbourne in terms of population anyway. There's a satellite city an hour away with a couple hundred thousand people - a world class haven for methamphetamine - a couple of other rural cities of about 100,000 people (including Bendigo which starred in a Rick and Morty April Fools joke) and then just a bunch of sheep paddocks.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
A cunt is a cunt...Both good and bad
He is correct.

Even 'you fucken dog cunt', which is a popular refrain bogans shout before glassing each other in the face, can just as easily be a close friend reminding you of something.

'Oi, it's your shout, you fucken dog cunt'

It is not inherently positive or negative.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Bc it's not a short-term solution, goof
Not mentioning it is irresponsible.
Immune systems still work.

Building them should be a priority.
6 months now and haven't heard much bout dat.
Both of you are right. They should be doing a much better job of promoting health, but trying to fat shame your way out of a pandemic isn't going to work. Fear mongering and telling 42% of American adults that they are going to die because they are fat may not be a great idea.

A lot of the underlying conditions that kill people with corona are also correlated with obesity - it's not the obesity in and of itself that is likely the main problem. So doing a campaign based just on a simplistic BMI could have bad mental health impacts. There are people in the obese BMI category who are otherwise relatively healthy and at low-risk, so it's not a great overall health strategy to scare these people. You would have to be careful about the messaging.

Also, Bill Maher has always had an anti-fatty shtick, so he is just scraping that barrel again. It doesn't mean he is wrong, but the dude is a senior citizen celebrity who probably has body dysmorphia and projects some of that self-hate on to fatties.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Fantastic news for us in our county.....we went from having fairly slow spread of covid to having the fastest spread in the entire DFW Metroplex. Big win.