General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
Well without knowing what masks you are talking about how do you expect anyone to answer? Are you being purposefully vague?
Does the mask you wear stop it?
I’ll be back to Lowe’s tomorrow and get the manufacture name

Mr Smokalotapotamus

You gonna pass that bro??
Jun 23, 2018
I love freedom, there's nothing wrong with wearing a mask to help stop the spread of a virus we don't know a whole lot about. Unless you're just that selfish, then I understand.
[/QUOTE
I was onboard till this started to look like bullshit. If your mask works what's the issue with me not wearing one?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Don't hospitals run at 75% capacity?
It's very often much closer to capacity than that. Over the last several decades hospitals have done a great job of removing excess bed capacity to maintain maximal efficiency and profits.
The downside is that we don't have a lot of reserve outside of the ICU. Luckily we have a terrific amount of ICU capacity in this country because that makes a lot of money.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I was onboard till this started to look like bullshit. If your mask works what's the issue with me not wearing one?

Masks are source control. They reduce your area of transmission if you're sick with a respiratory droplet virus.

If you're not wearing a mask you're a threat to me not the other way around.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Does the mask you wear stop it?
I’ll be back to Lowe’s tomorrow and get the manufacture name
The mask I wear helps stop transmission if my allergies that are acting up aren't just allergies. But you know this, this has been discussed a shit ton.

Mr Smokalotapotamus

Jun 23, 2018
Masks are source control. They reduce your area of transmission if you're sick with a respiratory droplet virus.

Social distancing? I wear my mask into stores that require it but it usually ends up on my chin.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015

I’ve kinda made this point before but

if doctors and scientists have known this all along why haven’t hospitals and doctors offices made them mandatory for the last 100 years. I do understand that they can knock down huge droplets but don’t you think it’s actually dangerous for people to think masks make them safe?

Mr Smokalotapotamus

Jun 23, 2018
Personally I always hear people say there are too many people and the planet is suffering as a result. Maybe losing a few million wouldn't hurt. Happens every so often through history.

MMAHAWK

Feb 5, 2015
Personally I always hear people say there are too many people and the planet is suffering as a result. Maybe losing a few million wouldn't hurt. Happens every so often through history.
I understand the frustration but This is not a good argument
Especially if we drop numbers by eliminating your friends or family.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I’ve kinda made this point before but

if doctors and scientists have known this all along why haven’t hospitals and doctors offices made them mandatory for the last 100 years. I do understand that they can knock down huge droplets but don’t you think it’s actually dangerous for people to think masks make them safe?
Masks have been recommended for sick people for decades.

They are not typically very useful for the well person.

They cost money and there are limited supplies. So when you look at where you put your resources you don't have people that are well wearing masks even though if a sick person and a well person wear mask it's probably better than just the sick. One example where we do recommend this is enclosed spaces such as caring for a family member that has the flu. But it's to mask the sick and not very useful for the well person mostly.

If you had very low case counts, or showed symptoms at infection, then mask would not be a good choice. So many well people would be wearing them that you would then have the downsides of mask outweigh the good.

Again mask only become a good idea because 1> You have a 5-day lead time before you start showing symptoms that you are spreading the virus 2> case counts are high enough that universal masking is doing more good than harm 3> testing is not broadly enough available so masks are a cheaper option since our testing role out sucks.

Context matters.

With 100 cases in the Pacific Northwest in February, masking 300 million people was not a very good use of funds or limited ppe.

Things changed when we shot the moon.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
it’s actually dangerous for people to think masks make them safe?
I didn't answer this.
Yes. I think the focus on masks has missed a focus on everything else. But I blame that on the fact that, like seatbelt laws, there is an entire portion of the population obsessed with principal here instead of facts. And that has stolen a huge mind share of this. That's also a failure of leadership to communicate is clearly so we can move on. There's lots more to do and mask really shouldn't be the focus that it is.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You really like reading my brain on topics I find interesting and read about.
With current trends of developing countries, you will probably see us max out at like 9 billion people. Then You will see populations start flattening and shrinking just like every other modern country.

It will take challenges but I think with a peak population on the horizon, purely through personal desire and family choices (most people don't want to have eight kids), that we just simply solve those problems and be creative and take care of each other. I think we go to dark places when we start deciding who should die off "for the planet".

Tldr: if a woman wants birth control hook her up. When male birth control comes along Hook them up.

Mr Smokalotapotamus

Jun 23, 2018
You really like reading my brain on topics I find interesting and read about.
With current trends of developing countries, you will probably see us max out at like 9 billion people. Then You will see populations start flattening and shrinking just like every other modern country.

It will take challenges but I think with a peak population on the horizon, purely through personal desire and family choices (most people don't want to have eight kids), that we just simply solve those problems and be creative and take care of each other. I think we go to dark places when we start deciding who should die off "for the planet".

Tldr: if a woman wants birth control hook her up. When male birth control comes along Hook them up.
Agreed.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014