General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Splinty @Splinty , can you explain this cytokine storm thing a bit further?

“Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus that has swept across the globe, is not like a bad case of the flu.

For one thing, a new study indicates that Covid-19 triggers in some people something called a cytokine storm, where one’s own immune system goes berserk. This “virus-activated” immune response can be deadly, causing severe respiratory distress and the subsequent shutdown of multiple organs.

Indeed, how one’s immune system reacts appears to be central to Covid-19′s severity.

“The virus matters, but the host response matters at least as much, and probably more,” University of Iowa virologist Stanley Perlman told The Scientist magazine last month.

For some people whose immune systems are compromised by age or for often-subtle genetic or environmental reasons, the normal immune response doesn’t retreat when it should. It goes into overdrive, leading to “a flood of immune cells into the lung.” This has a rapid cascading effect in the body.

Key to the patient’s survival is their doctors quickly recognizing this is happening. Dr. Randy Q. Cron and Dr. W. Winn Chatham, in a report for Vox, wrote that --

All Covid-19 patients sick enough for hospitalization should be given a cheap, quick, and readily available serum ferritin blood test. Indeed, elevated serum ferritin values have recently been reported in Chinese hospitalized patients with Covid-19. This is a good first screening tool for the possibility of a cytokine storm syndrome in sick patients with high fevers.

The question then remains how best to treat a cytokine storm syndrome once it is identified. The treating physician is often placed between a rock and a hard place. Corticosteroids can be powerfully broad immunosuppressive agents, and they are inexpensive and readily available throughout the world. However, it can be frightening for a physician to treat a severely ill, infected individual with such powerful and wide-ranging immune suppression.

Cron and Chatham pointed out that there are other, more targeted drugs available as well, though trials will be needed to figure out which ones work best for Covid-19.

In China, coronavirus patients exhibiting signs of cytokine-storm syndrome reportedly are being treated with the anti-inflammation drug Actemra(tocilizumab). Actemra is used in the U.S. for rheumatoid arthritis.”

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I ask, selfishly, because I have and have always had, a slightly low white blood cell count. My entire life. It’s just my normal, say the docs.

I ask, selfishly, because I have and have always had, a slightly low white blood cell count. My entire life. It’s just my normal, say the docs.
sounds like you have the immune system of a old person which wouldnt be good against this virus. regardless this fucks up everyones lungs..a guy in his 30s had this in nj and he says he can barely talk.. it hurts him. that is how much your lungs are affected. white blood cells will help you recover quicker though. if it doesnt do its job because of not enough white blood cells, you can die like most old people

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
sounds like you have the immune system of a old person which wouldnt be good against this virus. regardless this fucks up everyones lungs..a guy in his 30s had this in nj and he says he can barely talk.. it hurts him. that is how mich your lungs are affected. white blookd cells will helpl you recover quicker though. if it doesnt do its job because of not enough white blood cells, you can die like most old people
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I’m healthy and not in any elevated risk group, but my white cell count is always just a tad below the low end of the range for normal.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

“Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus that has swept across the globe, is not like a bad case of the flu.

For one thing, a new study indicates that Covid-19 triggers in some people something called a cytokine storm, where one’s own immune system goes berserk. This “virus-activated” immune response can be deadly, causing severe respiratory distress and the subsequent shutdown of multiple organs.

Indeed, how one’s immune system reacts appears to be central to Covid-19′s severity.

“The virus matters, but the host response matters at least as much, and probably more,” University of Iowa virologist Stanley Perlman told The Scientist magazine last month.

For some people whose immune systems are compromised by age or for often-subtle genetic or environmental reasons, the normal immune response doesn’t retreat when it should. It goes into overdrive, leading to “a flood of immune cells into the lung.” This has a rapid cascading effect in the body.

Key to the patient’s survival is their doctors quickly recognizing this is happening. Dr. Randy Q. Cron and Dr. W. Winn Chatham, in a report for Vox, wrote that --

All Covid-19 patients sick enough for hospitalization should be given a cheap, quick, and readily available serum ferritin blood test. Indeed, elevated serum ferritin values have recently been reported in Chinese hospitalized patients with Covid-19. This is a good first screening tool for the possibility of a cytokine storm syndrome in sick patients with high fevers.

The question then remains how best to treat a cytokine storm syndrome once it is identified. The treating physician is often placed between a rock and a hard place. Corticosteroids can be powerfully broad immunosuppressive agents, and they are inexpensive and readily available throughout the world. However, it can be frightening for a physician to treat a severely ill, infected individual with such powerful and wide-ranging immune suppression.

Cron and Chatham pointed out that there are other, more targeted drugs available as well, though trials will be needed to figure out which ones work best for Covid-19.

In China, coronavirus patients exhibiting signs of cytokine-storm syndrome reportedly are being treated with the anti-inflammation drug Actemra(tocilizumab). Actemra is used in the U.S. for rheumatoid arthritis.”
that is found in previously healthy WWI soldiers that died from Spanish Flu 1918-ish

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Antigen (foreign item that kicks off immune response) triggers are bunch of messengers to activate specific and non-specific immune response.
The stuff you feel during a cold? Fever? Aches? etc.?
That's a combination of stuff made to kill that foreign item and some side effects that make you feel bad. It isn't always the virus making you feel bad, sometimes its the immune response too.

The messengers for this stuff are, among others, cytokines. Cytokine messengers can get signaled too much due to external call for immune response. So now you are fighting the virus but also triggering WAY too much immune cascade.
Your body kicks of inflammation to bring immune cells where they need to be, but the immune response is strong, which kicks off more cytokines being activated at those cells, and more immune response and and and...

Full body too much inflammation from infection = sepsis = dropped blood pressure, poor blood flow into the body and organs = cell death = multisystem organ failure = death.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Mofo, I'm not worried about it either, but the numbers are clear. It's easy to just NOT go to the bar/club and slow the spread so the system can respond.
I’m seeing the same shit in Austin. People seem to be too macho/stubborn/stupid to self quarantine (or just make prudent decisions).

People being told to work from home are treating them as bonus days off and going about town that drink beer and whatnot.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I’m healthy and not in any elevated risk group, but my white cell count is always just a tad below the low end of the range for normal.
white blood cells are what helps stop a virus from attacking your entire body. if it attacks your body for too long..it fucks up every part of ypur body until it fails. i think this is the main reason for all these quarantines.. to prevent it from spreading and killing old people and people with low immune system which makes up a huge number

Antigen (foreign item that kicks off immune response) triggers are bunch of messengers to activate specific and non-specific immune response.
The stuff you feel during a cold? Fever? Aches? etc.?
That's a combination of stuff made to kill that foreign item and some side effects that make you feel bad. It isn't always the virus making you feel bad, sometimes its the immune response too.

The messengers for this stuff are, among others, cytokines. Cytokine messengers can get signaled too much due to external call for immune response. So now you are fighting the virus but also triggering WAY too much immune cascade.
Your body kicks of inflammation to bring immune cells where they need to be, but the immune response is strong, which kicks off more cytokines being activated at those cells, and more immune response and and and...

Full body too much inflammation from infection = sepsis = dropped blood pressure, poor blood flow into the body and organs = cell death = multisystem organ failure = death.
this

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Not just them but the FDA as per my links earlier.
I don't understand the entire approval process, but at the end it was/is a stupid cluster limited only by paper rules and not actual ability in tech and healthcare.
Of course, the FDA. It's the usual suspects.

i wouldnt even do takeout now. have you ever been to a restaurant kitchen? it is disgusting in most places..who knows if the people that prepare it are infected and spread it on your food..especially in fast food places where teenagers work and give two shits because they get paid shitty

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
i wouldnt even do takeout now. have you ever been to a restaurant kitchen? it is disgusting in most places..who knows if the people that prepare it are infected and spread it on your food
What's the chance of Coronavirus on your cooked food versus the grocery store crowd interaction? I feel like its less.

Does takeout limit people to work, home, and car only and make them more likely to stay in? I feel like it does.

I get skipping it. I don't eat out almost ever. But I know people that literally eat 9/10 meals out. They are gonna screw this all up sitting in a restaurant for all the reasons that guy said. Sooo, give them the ability to keep away from crowds in my opinion.

What's the chance of Coronavirus on your cooked food versus the grocery store crowd interaction? I feel like its less.

Does takeout limit people to work, home, and car only and make them more likely to stay in? I feel like it does.

I get skipping it. I don't eat out almost ever. But I know people that literally eat 9/10 meals out. They are gonna screw this all up sitting in a restaurant for all the reasons that guy said. Sooo, give them the ability to keep away from crowds in my opinion.
6 feet radius to catch the virus.after food is prepared..breathing on it, etc..who knows. i wouldnt take that chance.. even reheating it

i dont get anything prepared at grocery story. canned and packaged shit. i have seen people remove top layers of vegetables. i am more safe because i have 2 kids. im sure theyd beat the virus but i wouldnt want to see them suffer

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yes
but you put that cooked food into your mouth the same day

the store food you can set aside for days or weeks before eating and maybe the virus dies by the time you touch it again

People that grow/harvest their own food/meat(or have a freezer full like U) are in the perfect scenario to limit exposure via food consumption.