General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
that is trippy that they have to buy tickets to board the bus in france here in L.A county LBT anf I think MTA gives free bus rides so no one gets close to the bus driver or exchages money or uses a tap card to spread germs.
Headline: "Beaten in mask attack"
Article: "The people were mad because he wouldn't let them on without tickets"
Also the article: "The people were mad because he wouldn't let their dog on the bus."

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Unless you are laughing at the grammatical error, please expand on why that point is funny. Then we can all have a laugh.
The WHO's track record since January is about as good as Dana White's as far as honesty goes. If people wear masks because they've come to the conclusion on their own, cool. There's certainly enough evidence to support that decision. However, anyone who wears one because it's the WHO's new flavor of the week is an absolute dupe. I do have a certain level of empathy for people who at this point are saying "I'm tired of being lied to, I'm going to do what I want."

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
The WHO's track record since January is about as good as Dana White's as far as honesty goes. If people wear masks because they've come to the conclusion on their own, cool. There's certainly enough evidence to support that decision. However, anyone who wears one because it's the WHO's new flavor of the week is an absolute dupe. I do have a certain level of empathy for people who at this point are saying "I'm tired of being lied to, I'm going to do what I want."
LOL

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
You read the quoted post to, or nah?
Yes. You indicated the public was told not to wear masks for various reasons. As if that is still an excuse. It is now also public knowledge that it was a lie. So mentioning it is irrelevant, other than people just picked a truth that fits them better. Nah?

MartyLife

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Feb 7, 2020
And in news no-one wants to hear:

& Regarding "anti-bodies":

Not good.

Namaste
Those are two different studies first off.
Lots of this stuff isn't even peer-reviewed.
News takes thse studies that aren't peer reviewed and gives their own implication.
In this case they continue to push this idea that because anybody's are dropping off after a couple of months then this means no immunity and no vaccine.

Most of these studies are about the idea of how to tell who's recovered later.

these articles and the social media posts to go along with them continue to push this idea that this is abnormal (antibodies dropping off after a few months). This is what happens in all your antibodies when You're no longer exposed to a pathogen.
Make a bunch of different cells to kill it you create some short-term antibodies you create some long-term antibodies.

Like every other Corona virus some of us will potentially be able to get it again later. That's not what this means. It's basically a non-statement being pushed as news.

More of same:

Thoughts?

Namaste

M

member 3289

This is what happens in the absence of statewide and national leadership

Lockdown is starting to return to South Florida as coronavirus surges

South Florida is crawling back into coronavirus lockdown as the virus spreads, with Miami-Dade County shutting down restaurants and gyms beginning Wednesday.

Whether Broward and Palm Beach counties will follow is not yet clear, but Broward leaders were meeting Monday afternoon. Palm Beach County Mayor Dave Kerner said no decision had been made in his county, but he said he could not say what might happen in coming days.

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez contacted both counties before announcing his plans for the shutdown order Monday, spokeswoman Patty Abril said.

The order also closes ballrooms, banquet facilities, party venues and short-term rentals. Restaurants can open for takeout and delivery only.

Offices, stores and grooming services can remain open, and condo and hotel pools, summer camps and day care centers can open with “strict capacity limits,” mask requirements and social distancing.

Although beaches are scheduled to reopen Tuesday after a holiday shutdown, Gimenez warned that he will close them, too, if people don’t follow safety guidelines.

A countywide curfew is in effect from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., excluding essential workers and people with religious obligations.

Gimenez said the aggressive moves are necessary to curb the spread of the virus and to ensure that hospitals will have enough capacity and staff to treat the rising number of patients. The three South Florida counties, Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach, reported 3,004 new cases in the last day.

Gimenez said he was particularly concerned about the rising number of cases among 18- to 34-year-olds — a group that is not always taking proper precautions, he said.

“Contributing to the [spread] in that age group, the doctors have told me, were graduation parties, gatherings at restaurants that turned into packed parties in violation of the rules and street protests where people could not maintain social distancing and where not everyone was wearing facial coverings,” Gimenez said in a statement.

Since the state started to reopen, the number of people stricken with coronavirus has risen steadily, particularly among younger people.
Local governments have responded by imposing a growing list of restrictions. Last week, some South Florida hospitals announced plans to again scale back elective procedures to make room for more COVID-19 patients.

Nearly two weeks ago, Palm Beach county commissioners voted to require that people wear face masks in public. And some restaurants began to close of their own accord, despite Gov. Ron DeSantis saying he would not shut down the economy statewide.
DeSantis did close bars statewide, although they had never reopened in South Florida.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Yes. You indicated the public was told not to wear masks for various reasons. As if that is still an excuse. It is now also public knowledge that it was a lie. So mentioning it is irrelevant, other than people just picked a truth that fits them better. Nah?
Do you think people, across the board, are picking a truth that fits them? or do you think a lot of people are saying "Well, you've been wrong with everything you've said so far, so I'm all good, thanks."?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Do you think people, across the board, are picking a truth that fits them? or do you think a lot of people are saying "Well, you've been wrong with everything you've said so far, so I'm all good, thanks."?
Little of column A, little of column b, little of both together.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
This is sort of the crux of the issue and what I was referring to earlier. But as you yourself would say, there's no need to ascribe to nefarious intent what incompetence explains reasonably well.

In this case, we've seen multiple communication failures. It's not so much an issue of deceit only, though that's likely been part of it. WHO has their point of view, each nation's top health agency has their perspective, and then there are local public health officials, research universities and private research centers with their takes on things. All of these institutions looked at available evidence and crafted two things: public communications and policy recommendations. Media reported on both of these outputs as well as on governmental and private sector impressions of them, further muddying the waters.

At the end of the day the main message people got was "there's a potentially lethal respiratory disease. We all need to do our part to stop it."

Then we got a lot of confusing if not outright conflicting information about how lethal, lethal for whom, how it was contracted and spread, what safety looked like, what role was realistically expected of us, and who would bear the brunt of the sacrifice, both economically and health wise.

There was inadequate mobilization to provide PPE, testing or economic assistance to all citizens. In the face of high information uncertainty and unresponsiveness from those granted power, people will believe they have to rely on things like intuition, close networks, and narrow information pathways more. All three can be notoriously unreliable in the best of circumstances, but especially in a global crisis.

If there's one thing science affirms, it's that what we call "common sense" isn't so common, but is largely situational. People have had a number of voices competing for their trust during this time and there is definitely a political element (not in the sense of conservative vs liberal vs progressive, but in the sense of competition over policy and power) to who will emerge as most trustworthy. If states and institutions want to survive, they're going to have to earn their people's trust by being clear and honest as we move forward.

The world we knew is over. Only something new now.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
This is sort of the crux of the issue and what I was referring to earlier. But as you yourself would say, there's no need to ascribe to nefarious intent what incompetence explains reasonably well.

In this case, we've seen multiple communication failures. It's not so much an issue of deceit only, though that's likely been part of it. WHO has their point of view, each nation's top health agency has their perspective, and then there are local public health officials, research universities and private research centers with their takes on things. All of these institutions looked at available evidence and crafted two things: public communications and policy recommendations. Media reported on both of these outputs as well as on governmental and private sector impressions of them, further muddying the waters.

At the end of the day the main message people got was "there's a potentially lethal respiratory disease. We all need to do our part to stop it."

Then we got a lot of confusing if not outright conflicting information about how lethal, lethal for whom, how it was contracted and spread, what safety looked like, what role was realistically expected of us, and who would bear the brunt of the sacrifice, both economically and health wise.

There was inadequate mobilization to provide PPE, testing or economic assistance to all citizens. In the face of high information uncertainty and unresponsiveness from those granted power, people will believe they have to rely on things like intuition, close networks, and narrow information pathways more. All three can be notoriously unreliable in the best of circumstances, but especially in a global crisis.

If there's one thing science affirms, it's that what we call "common sense" isn't so common, but is largely situational. People have had a number of voices competing for their trust during this time and there is definitely a political element (not in the sense of conservative vs liberal vs progressive, but in the sense of competition over policy and power) to who will emerge as most trustworthy. If states and institutions want to survive, they're going to have to earn their people's trust by being clear and honest as we move forward.

I've said this is going to change the country and world much like 9/11 did.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015

As usual, you're right on the proverbial money.

Another thing that I see being (I'd argue intentionally) lost in the shuffle is what is often informing people's opinions on what should happen next and what kind of restrictions should or shouldn't be in place. When I speak to people I find that people who think "Better safe than sorry." tend to be people who are either still working, or don't need to work. On the other hand "I'm tired of this bullshit." tend to be people facing an uncertain economic future. What mostly concerns me is that this is very quickly deescalating into a "Haves vs Have nots" scenario where the "Haves" are being portrayed as virtuous and the "Have nots" are being protrayed as selfish morons.

M

member 3289

U.S. Department of State is ending online class exemptions for foreign students in the U.S. on student visas. Starting this fall they will have to return to in-person classes lol

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
U.S. Department of State is ending online class exemptions for foreign students in the U.S. on student visas. Starting this fall they will have to return to in-person classes lol

And just like that, we got a giant influx of illegals.