General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 1013

Correct. This is impacting a lot of my friends and students. It doesn't apply to students who might come in the future or try to attend classes. It's deporting students who are already here unless they attend classes in person. If their schools are only offering online classes, they have to either find a school that has in person and risk COVID or return home.

It's just one more example of the anti-skilled migrant agenda being trojan horsed through in the name of COVID. The problem is if universities shift to in person or hybrid to accommodate their non-resident students (many of whom pay full tuition out of pocket since they aren't eligible for US financial aid) then all the other students will have to go back in person increasing risk. It's a truly moronic policy.
It truly does not compute.

M

member 3289

Correct. This is impacting a lot of my friends and students. It doesn't apply to students who might come in the future or try to attend classes. It's deporting students who are already here unless they attend classes in person. If their schools are only offering online classes, they have to either find a school that has in person and risk COVID or return home.

It's just one more example of the anti-skilled migrant agenda being trojan horsed through in the name of COVID. The problem is if universities shift to in person or hybrid to accommodate their non-resident students (many of whom pay full tuition out of pocket since they aren't eligible for US financial aid) then all the other students will have to go back in person increasing risk. It's a truly moronic policy.
As well as an illegal policy. My county's K-12 school board announced yesterday that not all students would be returning for in-person classes next month when the school year begins. Afaik every college or university in the area is doing the same.

How can one group of people be required to do something that no other group is required to do?

Hopefully the administration pulls the plug without the need for the courts to get involved but I'm not holding my breath.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
As well as an illegal policy. My county's K-12 school board announced yesterday that not all students would be returning for in-person classes next month when the school year begins. Afaik every college or university in the area is doing the same.

How can one group of people be required to do something that no other group is required to do?

Hopefully the administration pulls the plug without the need for the courts to get involved but I'm not holding my breath.
Have they said how they determine who comes and who doesn't?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Are they as dumb as this one....

Must wear a mask into the bar, but once seated you can take it off.
That's basically what they're going to be doing for restaurants mask when not at the table. Technically it's mask anytime you're not eating or drinking, but I don't know how you hand someone a ticket if you catch them without a mask on while taking sips of water.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Well, you see most public health agencies told the public that wearing a mask increased the chances of getting sick and that they should not wear them.
Same ones that told us it wasn't human transmissible when China was welding apartments shut and fumigating streets. People were cherry-picking their data because reality was too hard.

Some still are.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Oh

you really believe your getting the straight dope from china?

So that means yes we should be fumigating. What are the health effects of the fumigations? What was china fumigating with?
Just let me have one subtle joke, Col Killjoy

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Maybe but that number is probably high given that few models or experts think that. And then you have to ask, over what timeline?

In the near future? 150,000 dead is entirely conceivable and we are screwing up in many ways and doing well in others. Can't change yesterday. So seeing 200,000 dead in the next 18 months would not be shocking to me,
300,000 would put a real point on this that we were not optimal in our response.

@Lars Soros