General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
That's never been true. Most people show symptoms within a couple days of exposure. In rare instances their symptoms can present up to 14 days after exposure, that's why for the purposes of quarantine/isolation, 14 days is the magic number.
you also have to remember that it might go through more than 1 carrier before it makes someone symptomatic. Also, the evidence that re-infection is a thing...it's going to take awhile for these curves to flatten once they start to go up.

and that's to say nothing of the improved survivability meaning longer time to lethal outcomes. It's like a big rig rolling down a hill at this point. The longer you wait to pump the brakes, the harder you're going to have to pump them and the longer it's going to take to have an effect. And at some point, you're just going to fast for brakes to even matter.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Are hospitals still getting $13k per positive cases?

Are we still having an election in November?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
you also have to remember that it might go through more than 1 carrier before it makes someone symptomatic. Also, the evidence that re-infection is a thing...it's going to take awhile for these curves to flatten once they start to go up.

and that's to say nothing of the improved survivability meaning longer time to lethal outcomes. It's like a big rig rolling down a hill at this point. The longer you wait to pump the brakes, the harder you're going to have to pump them and the longer it's going to take to have an effect. And at some point, you're just going to fast for brakes to even matter.
I wasn't making a value judgement, I was just point out the stats. Last Tuesday we had 0 new cases, this Tuesday we had 7.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
We had 70 hospital employees out last week. This week the number is 200.

That's positive cases or quarantined and awaiting test results.
In a city about an hour from here they had 0 cases for I think it was a month. A nurse went to a nail salon, didn't wear a mask and lead to 30 some cases as a result.

More familiar to me is a friend of mine who's daughter goes to an at home daycare. The providers son lives at home with her for whatever reason. He's a nurse at a nursing home. He thought he had it, went and got tested, and didn't bother to tell his mother. Turned out he did have it. Now no one got it as a result, but that's a level of carelessness that I can't even comprehend.

I'm also frequently seeing people at stores in scrubs which on the surface doesn't mean anything, but the optics are terrible.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
In a city about an hour from here they had 0 cases for I think it was a month. A nurse went to a nail salon, didn't wear a mask and lead to 30 some cases as a result.

More familiar to me is a friend of mine who's daughter goes to an at home daycare. The providers son lives at home with her for whatever reason. He's a nurse at a nursing home. He thought he had it, went and got tested, and didn't bother to tell his mother. Turned out he did have it. Now no one got it as a result, but that's a level of carelessness that I can't even comprehend.

I'm also frequently seeing people at stores in scrubs which on the surface doesn't mean anything, but the optics are terrible.
We are supposed to wear a cover over our scrubs when entering a covid/suspect's room. Here, I see many nurses either not doing that or wearing the cover from room to room.

We have an area taped off for suspect and positive patients. Guess how they get there? Yep, straight through the "uncontaminated" area.

I'd love to see stats on how many positives had been to an ER prior to getting it.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
We are supposed to wear a cover over our scrubs when entering a covid/suspect's room. Here, I see many nurses either not doing that or wearing the cover from room to room.

We have an area taped off for suspect and positive patients. Guess how they get there? Yep, straight through the "uncontaminated" area.

I'd love to see stats on how many positives had been to an ER prior to getting it.
To be honest it's an elephant in the room not being addressed because people are falling over themselves to thank medical staff for existing. Here the vast majority of our deaths have been in nursing homes because of staff ignoring procedures

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
To be honest it's an elephant in the room not being addressed because people are falling over themselves to thank medical staff for existing. Here the vast majority of our deaths have been in nursing homes because of staff ignoring procedures
Medical staff are the only people irl that I have heard bitching about masks.
Edit: and my aunt with copd.

But people.....smh. Some just don't seem to have common sense. Let me give you an example.

I was working in 'covid island'. I get a patient to my room with shortness of breath and chest pain. She asked why she was brought to this weird looking area and ask if it was where covid patients were. I said, "yes" and she turned into Karen. She had been tested! she was negative, this is her heart not corona, if she gets it she will sue, she demands a test right now! Etc, etc.

Now mind you, she had her mask under her nose when being brought back.

I apologized but told her she was in an isolation room with better protection than any of the other rooms and if she did get it, it was probably in the lobby. (Yes, I was being a polite smart ass)

She decided that her heart attack wasn't that bad and left.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Medical staff are the only people irl that I have heard bitching about masks.
Edit: and my aunt with copd.

But people.....smh. Some just don't seem to have common sense. Let me give you an example.

I was working in 'covid island'. I get a patient to my room with shortness of breath and chest pain. She asked why she was brought to this weird looking area and ask if it was where covid patients were. I said, "yes" and she turned into Karen. She had been tested! she was negative, this is her heart not corona, if she gets it she will sue, she demands a test right now! Etc, etc.

Now mind you, she had her mask under her nose when being brought back.

I apologized but told her she was in an isolation room with better protection than any of the other rooms and if she did get it, it was probably in the lobby. (Yes, I was being a polite smart ass)

She decided that her heart attack wasn't that bad and left.
Part of that is the fear being instilled in people by the media. We've created quite the stigma around Covid by portraying it as being a certain death if you get it.

p.s. the pineapple is in place of the actual "WTF" icon. That shit has some stigma around it too.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Why are some people so upset about an initiative to help people learn new skills?
I’m not sure. The 18 million people unemployed in America should just find something new to do. I don’t know why they’re being so lazy. It doesn’t matter if they can’t afford to pay their rent and mortgage, find something new.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Part of that is the fear being instilled in people by the media. We've created quite the stigma around Covid by portraying it as being a certain death if you get it.
My point was she wasn't wearing her mask over her nose in the lobby, but freaked out when she was placed in a protective isolation room.

And it wasn't a random post, I was pointing out that it isn't just the medical workers that are being careless in healthcare settings.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I’m not sure. The 18 million people unemployed in America should just find something new to do. I don’t know why they’re being so lazy. It doesn’t matter if they can’t afford to pay their rent and mortgage, find something new.
Did anyone say they were being lazy or is that just what you think of those people?

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Also you: They should be rounding up teenagers and sending them to where there is work.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
How do you feel about people who get a degree in a certain area but then can't find a job in that profession?
What would be your advice to them?