General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
That is tricky to balance of course

The possible mental health and development of a young generation vs the early passing of a small portion our elderly and weak

A Real Conundrum
I was being facetious. The same way that people don't actually believe "If it only saves one life!" they also don't believe "The children are our most valuable natural resource."

Regarding your "vs" scenario, finding out you killed grandma or grandpa isn't going to be great for a kid's development either. Personally, I don't think masks are a terribly rational solution, but if you look at it strictly from a cost/benefit perspective the resistance to them is one of the more illogical things I've ever seen.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Is it horribly burdensome to wear a mask when you're in an indoor public space?
I don't have a problem doing it at all...I have done so every time since it was mandated...regardless of my feelings on it's effectiveness...I have caused zero issues with anybody over masks...Right now I wish I had a goddamn czech gas mask because of our 500+ air quality due to wildfires...But I wear a surgical or wool buff in all indoor establishments at this current time and I do so with zero problems.

I do think it is and will have an effect on younger people, that is what we are discussing...I have on good authority from people with first hand experience that it is causing fear and changing behavior in young people...that is all I am discussing and that is all I care about right now.

I do not have a child but almost of my friends are parents and most have discussed this topic without me initially bringing it up.

Worth discussion at the least IMO.
I respect all opinions on the matter.

View: https://giphy.com/gifs/Rambo-rambo-VCtT7hPSAFZICJBxcK

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I do think it is and will have an effect on younger people, that is what we are discussing...I have on good authority from people with first hand experience that it is causing fear and changing behavior in young people.
Children under 5 here aren't required to wear a mask, don't know how they're running things there. It's generally accepted by those in the field that it isn't masks that are detrimental to the development of children, but the behavior of the parents regarding masks that is problematic. There are other developmental concerns around covid protocols, but they don't have anything to do with masks.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Children under 5 here aren't required to wear a mask, don't know how they're running things there. It's generally accepted by those in the field that it isn't masks that are detrimental to the development of children, but the behavior of the parents regarding masks that is problematic. There are other developmental concerns around covid protocols, but they don't have anything to do with masks.
Oh

Age 5 seems very young to require such a thing

Here I have actually seen places not allowing children without masks, giving the parents grief and guilt for not masking their child...parents wearing one but children not for the reasons I spoke of...the Karen population is very strong here

So we are living in different realities mask wise

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Oh

Age 5 seems very young to require such a thing

Here I have actually seen places not allowing children without masks, giving the parents grief and guilt for not masking their child...parents wearing one but children not for the reasons I spoke of...the Karen population is very strong here

So we are living in different realities mask wise
Our states have different rules on this, 13 states are at 6 years old, one is at 7, one is at 2! And one says "as soon as they are able". Haha.
Don't think I've ever seen someone being angry at a kid not wearing one tho.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
That is your opinion gathered from your personal experiences.
Nothing wrong with that.

Doesn't make it accurate or fact but I respect that take.

I can see rabid pro mask or rabid anti mask parents making a kid stress out about things they don't understand.

My opinion is that it may really mess with a kid during developmental years to wear a mask and not be allowed to view faces and expressions and learn the communication lessons that come with that part of human interaction.

I know people in medical settings that are experiencing much more scared children and some of those kids feel much better when the medical providing professionals take the mask off so they can read expressions and sense kindness. I have heard this from multiple doctors and assistants, it makes sense to discuss and consider it.

I enjoy the discussion, many things about these mandates and lockdowns are not being discussed and are being taken as "expert medical advice" when in fact they are not.

I want the best for the generation that is young during this time, they truly are the future of out country.
First off, if the doctor takes off their mask, I'm taking my child and leaving.

Secondly, fear from children at the doctor's office is a common thing after they can retain memories and get their first shot. I never told my kids they were going to the doctor until we were ready to leave. Because then it starts, "what are they going to do, momma?", "am I going to get a shot today?" And let that nurse walk in and put on gloves. You better be set like a defense football player. That child is about to hit you hard and climb up over your head. So it isn't just the mask.

Splinty spoke of dealing with this early on, wearing masks with kid friendly stuff on it. They also wear clear masks. Every medical professional has to deal with some level of fear from patients. Nothing new here.

Furthermore, every child I've dealt with or seen is coping with it much better than their parents. With a child after about two weeks it's normal already.

Homeschooled children do fine. Children that grew up before schools weren't mentally fucked up (at least Not all)

Not one doctor I know with smaller school age children are sending them back to school right now. Not one.

Kids mostly learn facial expressions, etc from their parents, not strangers on the street.

Kids are major drivers of corona viruses. I don't see why this viruswould be any different. The best decision they made was shutting schools down quickly.

The major problem with schools being out is the burden on the parents and the child may be missing meals. Other than that, the kids will mentally handle this way better than the adults.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Our states have different rules on this, 13 states are at 6 years old, one is at 7, one is at 2! And one says "as soon as they are able". Haha.
Don't think I've ever seen someone being angry at a kid not wearing one tho.
angry at parents in front of kid...not at kid
still no good

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
First off, if the doctor takes off their mask, I'm taking my child and leaving.

Secondly, fear from children at the doctor's office is a common thing after they can retain memories and get their first shot. I never told my kids they were going to the doctor until we were ready to leave. Because then it starts, "what are they going to do, momma?", "am I going to get a shot today?" And let that nurse walk in and put on gloves. You better be set like a defense football player. That child is about to hit you hard and climb up over your head. So it isn't just the mask.

Splinty spoke of dealing with this early on, wearing masks with kid friendly stuff on it. They also wear clear masks. Every medical professional has to deal with some level of fear from patients. Nothing new here.

Furthermore, every child I've dealt with or seen is coping with it much better than their parents. With a child after about two weeks it's normal already.

Homeschooled children do fine. Children that grew up before schools weren't mentally fucked up (at least Not all)

Not one doctor I know with smaller school age children are sending them back to school right now. Not one.

Kids mostly learn facial expressions, etc from their parents, not strangers on the street.

Kids are major drivers of corona viruses. I don't see why this viruswould be any different. The best decision they made was shutting schools down quickly.

The major problem with schools being out is the burden on the parents and the child may be missing meals. Other than that, the kids will mentally handle this way better than the adults.
I respect your opinions and experiences.

I don't find them all to be correct but that is fine, we are all still entitled to have an opinion hopefully.(unless free speech and thought died with the lockdown)

Parents I have talked to are concerned and medical folks also, that is my experience at least.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
angry at parents in front of kid...not at kid
still no good
Yeah same tho.

Only time I noticed someone getting pissed about people not following recommendations / mandates (like being 1,5m apart) was when I got angry at an old fart that could not wait another 20 seconds to get his items onto the checkstand in a supermarket, so that he bumped into me trying to squeeze em on there.
Granted it would have pissed me off normally as well.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah same tho.

Only time I noticed someone getting pissed about people not following recommendations / mandates (like being 1,5m apart) was when I got angry at an old fart that could not wait another 20 seconds to get his items onto the checkstand in a supermarket, so that he bumped into me trying to squeeze em on there.
Granted it would have pissed me off normally as well.
half the old people here don't give a shit about protecting or being protected...mask on chin and don't care for social distancing like you mentioned