Society Coronapocalypse USA decimation running death count

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Your question is dumb and would lead to a dumb argument. I know all about roi
It's an honest question. If you're going to endager lives because of economic costs, you should be prepared to compensate people. I'm trying to find out what you deem is acceptable compensation.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
most of the people that would die would be on welfare/pension, so I think the damage done from all the healthy people that are now, and about to be out of work would be much worse?

How much will it cost the economy from all the mental health issues this is going to cause? Hysteria driving up anxiety and paranoia that some people will never be able to work again, people that were looking to retire in upcoming years watching their 401's plummet and realising they can no longer afford to, people going derranged and depressed from being locked up, depression and substance abuse from healthy men that once were able to provide for their families but are now out of work and feel worthless.
This will all cause suicide rates to spike, and that will be healthy men that could otherwise contribute to the GDP, not over 80's like corona is taking.
I think these are very fair arguments and I don't disagree with the concerns at all. I just find the arguments that this is an economic harm only as pretty disingenuous. The economics appear to require intervention by everything I'm reading. There's surely going to far with that and every model predicts 3-4 week on 3-4 week plateau then let up.If we go bigger than that, surely there is much higher economic harm.

I suspect all the things you are saying are true, but I'd argue some of it. For instance the 401k hit was coming regardless because of the Coronavirus, not the interventions...at least to date. The market dropped on supply chain fears, travel advisories, etc. Regardless of requirement, that was coming and happening already.

To your last point, I'm not sure I could come up with a position beyond the economic utilitarian one for choosing a life in this argument by age. Healthy low pay 40 year? 80 year wisdom and experience? In the 1990s GH Bush tried to scale government death benefits to 67% of those above (I think it was ) 70. AARP lost their minds and canceled that en bloc. So at least some people, for a very long time, agree with you. 2/3rds is the value of the highest risk group on paper at that time.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
The people I feel most sorry for in this, is the OCD's that were washing their hands in near boiling water 80 times a day til their hands almost bleed. 13 years of counselling just undone with this pandemic.
Happy isn't the right word but thank fuck my mother isn't with us. Worst germophobe ever, she would be in hell right now.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
I have 13 minutes left of Friday and I haven't had my daily panic cry so I declare Corona over and done with.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
We are absolutely fine, world.
PM's virus adviser warns Britain might still need to adopt herd immunity | Daily Mail Online
PM's virus adviser warns Britain might still need to adopt herd immunity in its fight against coronavirus as lockdown measures have 'painted the country into a corner' - after UK death toll soars past China's to 3,605 with more than 38,000 cases
  • Professor Graham Medley says lockdown does not have an obvious exit strategy but would cripple economy
  • Mounting unemployment, domestic violence and burgeoning mental health issues could be widespread
  • Prof Medley, the chief pandemic modeller for the government, said PM has a 'big decision' to make on April 13
  • But Health Secretary Matt Hancock said now is not time to relax discipline and begged people to stay indoors

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
It now stands at 1177 dead in the US from covid. We are being mowed down out here. . Wanted to make this thread for later on when we are eating each other to survive and the death count is upwards of 4,000

God help us all

within a week, there are more dying every day than the total dead when OP made this post.

MartyLife

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Feb 7, 2020
We are absolutely fine, world.
PM's virus adviser warns Britain might still need to adopt herd immunity | Daily Mail Online
PM's virus adviser warns Britain might still need to adopt herd immunity in its fight against coronavirus as lockdown measures have 'painted the country into a corner' - after UK death toll soars past China's to 3,605 with more than 38,000 cases
  • Professor Graham Medley says lockdown does not have an obvious exit strategy but would cripple economy
  • Mounting unemployment, domestic violence and burgeoning mental health issues could be widespread
  • Prof Medley, the chief pandemic modeller for the government, said PM has a 'big decision' to make on April 13
  • But Health Secretary Matt Hancock said now is not time to relax discipline and begged people to stay indoors
Back to this again?
Why's the UK trying to kill off its citizens?

I would hope karma comes for Graham Medley in the form of an errand cough in his general direction..
Namaste

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
This thread has aged well lol
I'm not sure if I'm more concerned that the OP was so cavalier because "you can't know the future" (As if that is in any way to operate through life) or that he agrees with the projections that with interventions we could still lose hundreds of thousands of people... And that's okay as long as he can go back to the gym sooner.

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
From the docs I've talked to, the masks cause more harm than good. The vast majority of the spread is believed to be caused by touch. Doorknobs. Counters. A mask doesn't protect against that, and people with masks fidget with them and can cause infection by having their hands around their face.

If your sick, mask the fuck up.
If you aren't, wash your fucking hands. Often.
What if someone coughs then you are fucked.
Whoever wears mask they don't need to touch their face.