Could a fighter successfully sue the UFC/commissions over the gloves?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I'm no fancy law talking guy, but has this ever been attempted? Surely there is a case that can be tested against the UFC and the athletic commissions over the gloves.

We have just seen a HW trilogy where both guys have been left with serious injuries from numerous eye pokes. We've seen fighters like Bisping vs Belcher where both were permanently impacted. It's an absurdity and a dangerous one.

Safer gloves exist. It seems to be basically criminal negligence that they refuse to use them.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
With so many ambulance chasers in this country, I’m surprised they haven’t pursued this by now

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Why is the UFC so resistant to finding a new glove design? I’m sure there are multiple options out there that would be an improvement. But they just seem to ignore the issue.

doesn’t Trevor Whitman have a glove he designed?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I'm no fancy law talking guy, but has this ever been attempted?
I'm pretty sure there's a variety of injury related waivers involved with being a professional cage fighter.

If DC were looking to sue, I'd be going after his cornermen. What they did last night was shameful.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
what did they do?
I watched with my TV off.
Sent him back out after he told them he couldn’t see, the man is too tough to quit , corner could have done it for him and that is basically what he was asking for telling them he was blind in his left eye.

Stipe did that on purpose too, the son of a bitch.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
what did they do?
I watched with my TV off.
At the end of the 2nd round he got knocked down and the fight was closer to being stopped than people seem to be acknowledging. DC went back to his corner and as they started giving him advice he asked "Did I get knocked down?" Which to anyone paying attention knows that it shows he was rocked enough that he didn't remember the interaction. His corner told him he hadn't and sent him back out. That was fucked up. After he came in from the eyepoke, he told his corner "I can't see anything out of my left eye." They ignored his statement and sent him back out. Now Stipe obviously didn't know he was blind, but he was landing his right at will for the rest of the fight. I realize we watch fights and that people getting hurt is a reality of the sport, but when you send out guys knowing they're unprepared to compete at an apprpriate level you're crossing a dangerous line. Could you imagine sending somone out to fight Nagnnou who was blind in their left eye?

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
I'm pretty sure there's a variety of injury related waivers involved with being a professional cage fighter.

If DC were looking to sue, I'd be going after his cornermen. What they did last night was shameful.
You can't just waiver away all negligence. What if a commission allowed one fighter to use a weapon?

Eye pokes are illegal under the rules. I'm not sure it would be so simple that athletic commissions/promoters have no duty to protect fighters from them.

M

member 3289

Sent him back out after he told them he couldn’t see, the man is too tough to quit , corner could have done it for him and that is basically what he was asking for telling them he was blind in his left eye.
Referee should have caught it, and there was no way that Daniel was saying directly or indirectly that he wanted his corner to stop the fight. You seem to have already forgotten that the injury happened at the very end of round 3 and then Daniel came out and won round 4.

Stipe did that on purpose too, the son of a bitch.
Dumbest shit I've read all day.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
What if a commission allowed one fighter to use a weapon?
Well, sir I'm not quite sure how that interacts with the law of a given jurisdiction. I do know that in professional wrestling there have been several instances of people deliberately injuring one another, in some cases using weapons and it's just chalked up to "Those rascally old rasslers".

Eye pokes are illegal under the rules. I'm not sure it would be so simple that athletic commissions/promoters have no duty to protect fighters from them.
I think you'd have a very difficult time proving that commissions/ promoters aren't "taking reasonable steps to prevent a certain outcome" That being said, it's certainly an interesting thought excercise. Thank you for making this thread.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
Referee should have caught it, and there was no way that Daniel was saying directly or indirectly that he wanted his corner to stop the fight. You seem to have already forgotten that the injury happened at the very end of round 3 and then Daniel came out and won round 4.

Dumbest shit I've read all day.
I am aware he won the 4th.

Watch the poke again, it was deliberate.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Here's a question for you Sheepdog @Saloth Sar

The commission will overturn wins retroactively due to PED usage because the illegal usage obviously impacted the outcome. Should commissions consider overturning wins in cases where illegal moves impact the outcome?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
With so many ambulance chasers in this country, I’m surprised they haven’t pursued this by now
it's like UFC has lawyers who figured out all the ways to fuck fighters to the benefit of their clients and wrote it in to their contracts, and the owners are so wealthy that they can influence the Dept of Labor to consider the fighters 'independent contractors' and strip them of almost all legal protection.

it's just like that.

steroid to heaven

Colonize the Sun
Dec 23, 2015
corm got a torn corn

Daniel Cormier suffered a torn cornea last night, Cormier told me this morning. No timetable yet for recovery. Doctors said he won’t need surgery just yet but they have to monitor how it heals before knowing for sure. He was discharged from the hospital late Saturday night.
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) August 16, 2020

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Here's a question for you Sheepdog @Saloth Sar

The commission will overturn wins retroactively due to PED usage because the illegal usage obviously impacted the outcome. Should commissions consider overturning wins in cases where illegal moves impact the outcome?
No. Let the ref make the call. If he fucks up so be it.

I think PED related-result changing should be (and to an extent is) seen more about punishing the offender than rewarding the loser.

It's not like the Olympics where if the gold medalist gets banned later, silver gets the gold. In MMA, the result just becomes a no-contest - the loser doesn't suddenly win. The punishment is about ensuring people who test positive don't get rewarded with a win.

The ref should be seen as analogous to the drug test. If you pass the test even if you are using PEDs, then the result stands. If the ref misses your foul, then the result stands.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I think PED related-result changing should be (and to an extent is) seen more about punishing the offender than rewarding the loser.
Do you not kind of think that should be the same logic applied to someone who "wins" due to what is effectively cheating? I mean sure, DC wouldn't (nor should he be) awarded the title, but Stipe unquestionably was given an unfair advantage due to the illegal tactic he used.