Could Paige VanZant surpass Ronda Rousey in popularity someday?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Photo by Alex Trautwig/Getty Images

According to an Apr. 20 report from TMZ Sports,Paige VanZant was the talk of the MMA world after her impressive victory over Felice Herrig in front of a national audience for UFC on FOX 15. With the win, the 21-year-old VanZant earned comparisons to UFC superstars Ronda Rouseyand Conor McGregor.
VanZant, a standout strawweight, is now 2-0 in the UFC. UFC President Dana White was singing her praises after her win over Herrig. He said just about everyone who was backstage at UFC on FOX 15 wanted to meet VanZant following the event.

White knows he has a star in the making. Let's be honest: The sky is the limit for VanZant. She's already close to becoming a household name, and she's just 21 years old. Just how popular will she get? Time will tell the answer to that question, but there's absolutely no doubt she has a special "it" factor just like Rousey and McGregor.

For whatever reason, fight fans gravitate towardVanZant, just like they do to Rousey and McGregor. What is the reason for it? First of all, she has the fighting skills to back up her good looks. In her two performances under the UFC banner, she proved she is a legitimate fighter who is more than just a pretty face.

It also helps that she's excellent on the mic, and has an adorable personality. Here's the thing: She doesn't look like a fighter. VanZant looks more like a cheerleader than a fighter, so her look appeals to casual fans of the sport. Female fans love her because they identify with her, and male fans love her because she is a solid fighter who is charming on the mic.

Could Paige VanZant surpass Ronda Rousey in popularity someday? - Long Island MMA | Examiner.com

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
I think so. She's prettier and much more easy to root for.

Everything Ronda does is forced and awkward. PVZ might not be as dominant in her wins but I don't think that will matter.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
I think so. She's prettier and much more easy to root for.

Everything Ronda does is forced and awkward. PVZ might not be as dominant in her wins but I don't think that will matter.
i agree with you on all of this. paige is easily more attractive, and her personality isn't abrasive like honda's. i think the ufc has already recognized this, and that's part of why they are really getting behind her so fast.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i really dont find paiges face to be attractive . she has a great personality and skill but she has a chipmunk face to me. i dont think that we will ever see a wmma fighter that meets the regular level of being a hot chick just because they get punched in the face lots.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Looks, super humble in several recent interviews, fights are exciting in a division that will likely have few KOs but keep a frenetic pace.

Rousey plays the heel whether on purpose or not. She gets stuck between trying to be the badass bulldog and wearing a dress and hair done. She's seriously talented but hasn't really hit a theme of who she is. There's mouthing off about Diaz pot and her birth control, but then doing interviews attempting to speak in a way that just comes out so forced and unnatural. She's attempting a "I'm a badass in the ring but I'm so ladylike and educated..." theme but I'm not so sure a lot of that is accurate to her true identity. I get it. The feminine ass kicker is great marketing and breaks a lot of societal expectations. Others do it better....PVZ might do it best.

And then there's the division she is in. She is going to smoke everyone without some new competition. So how do you keep the same armbar fresh with no risk. What questions arise other than battle of the sexes type questions? I'd prefer to see Rousey in grappling tournaments at this point in a lot of respects.

I'd say yes. If PVZ keeps developing technically, she already has the rest. Its probably easier to train a punch than a 24/7 personality.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Looks, super humble in several recent interviews, fights are exciting in a division that will likely have few KOs but keep a frenetic pace.

Rousey plays the heel whether on purpose or not. She gets stuck between trying to be the badass bulldog and wearing a dress and hair done. She's seriously talented but hasn't really hit a theme of who she is. There's mouthing off about Diaz pot and her birth control, but then doing interviews attempting to speak in a way that just comes out so forced and unnatural. She's attempting a "I'm a badass in the ring but I'm so ladylike and educated..." theme but I'm not so sure a lot of that is accurate to her true identity. I get it. The feminine ass kicker is great marketing and breaks a lot of societal expectations. Others do it better....PVZ might do it best.

And then there's the division she is in. She is going to smoke everyone without some new competition. So how do you keep the same armbar fresh with no risk. What questions arise other than battle of the sexes type questions? I'd prefer to see Rousey in grappling tournaments at this point in a lot of respects.

I'd say yes. If PVZ keeps developing technically, she already has the rest. Its probably easier to train a punch than a 24/7 personality.
i wonder how much ronda would play the heel without the influence of the egg of greed.dana is most definitely a negative influence on some fighters ,i wonder how conner would be without dana egging him on and encouraging him to be an obnoxious bastard.ronda would no doubt be a biatch just judging from her mother and from growing up in a gym full of armenians but dana loves it .shes mean shes nasty she could beat cain and mayweather she could dunk on jordan and steal the puck from gretzky

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yes. If PVZ somehow wins the title, look the fuck out. It will be bonkers.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
Yes. If PVZ somehow wins the title, look the fuck out. It will be bonkers.
do you think she needs a belt to be bigger than ronda? this is something i think she can do with her personality. she's only going to get better for a long time, and people already like her, so i can see her getting huge, as long as she is in the top 3 to 5.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I like Splinty @Splinty post. Things like looks and fighting style is all a matter of opinion. I think that its her personality which is very genuine and natural and is what many fans are sensing when they see her in interviews and fights.

Who caught the post fight presser? PZV was asked something like this.

Reporter- "Paige you recently turned 21 and now just had the biggest win of your career, how do you plan on celebrating?

PZV (big smile)"I dunno, probably just go to the beach with my parents and relax...."

Seriously? I love that shit. This is a perfect opportunity for someone to unload some controversial rubish when all eyes are on thrm and without hesitation she was just herself and answered with a very low key and honest response. In contrast after Conor beat Siver he came out sipping scotch or something and was inclined to tell the media it was a $20g bottle and was acting like he already had a few. Not saying what he's doing is wrong by any means. My point is that as of late fighters seemed to be either pushed directly or indirectly to create buzz at any cost and for me personally PZV is a breath of fresh air in a rather stale environment. WMMA especially seems to thrive on taking the low road and I think it's because some feel its the best tactic to get attention to such a small piece of the MMA world as a whole.

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
I wish nothing but the best for the kid. I don't think she's even close to being a household name like Dana claims, but she can be. She's def one of his new diamonds.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
do you think she needs a belt to be bigger than ronda? this is something i think she can do with her personality. she's only going to get better for a long time, and people already like her, so i can see her getting huge, as long as she is in the top 3 to 5.
I think the belt is the difference between stardom & mega-stardom...but hey, I'm wrong everyday, so who knows. Maybe she becomes a mega-star w/out it. She's got the looks, personality, and proper fighting style (heart & guts).

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I think the belt is the difference between stardom & mega-stardom...but hey, I'm wrong everyday, so who knows. Maybe she becomes a mega-star w/out it. She's got the looks, personality, and proper fighting style (heart & guts).
Think of popular fighters like Hunt or Bisping. Never had gold but have huge followings. Then on the flip side you got ultra talented Mighty Mouse and the majority could give a shit, sad really as he's such a hard worker and seems like a great person.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
She won't have the success that Rousey has had. I don't think anyone will replicate what Rousey has done. Just the right person, at the right time, she is the perfect storm.

Last edited:

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
She won't have the success than Rousey has had. I don't think anyone will replicate what Rousey has done. Just the right person, at the right time, she is the perfect storm.
Would you think think Ronda may be more recognizable and accomplished but PZV be more popular? She seems to be hard to not like where as RR bothers a lot of people.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Would you think think Ronda may be more recognizable and accomplished but PZV be more popular? She seems to be hard to not like where as RR bothers a lot of people.
I could definitely see that, but even then it is dependent on performances to some extent. If she plateaus, then it is possible she fades into the background, or at least fails to cross over in the way Rousey has.

Then again, Rousey is very popular and has a lot of fans, especially among women, be they casuals or hardcores, it is just balanced off by the people who dislike her being very vocal. Rousey doesn't do 500k+ buys because she is hated by the hardcores.

nni

Jan 21, 2015
She is adorable. The way she gets so emotional after the fights is something that is hard to get in a men's fight. Part of what makes WMMA special.

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
I really don't think so. The whole OP is really written from the viewpoint of those who follow combat sports. 'Household name' especially. We haven't had a household name since Liddell, and Rousey is just now becoming famous imp. PVZ will have to do triple-time to get there.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I really don't think so. The whole OP is really written from the viewpoint of those who follow combat sports. 'Household name' especially. We haven't had a household name since Liddell, and Rousey is just now becoming famous imp. PVZ will have to do triple-time to get there.
Brazzers?

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
I don't think she makes it there, at least not anytime soon. She is talented and cute, but not polarizing. She will have a lot of people who like her, but RR has that and lots of people who hate her too. Everyone wants to see her fight. Everyone in the mainstream may not want to see the tiny little sweet girl get hit in the nose...... Or, maybe I'm just a Rousey nuthugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk