Couture approached for MMA return

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

If there is ever a moment for 'retired' veterans to get back into mixed martial arts (MMA), it's probably now.

Lots of smaller promotions would likely be interested, but so would Bellator MMA. The Viacom-backed organization has made it a point to bring back long-time veterans, even those in their fifties.

While that's been met with some pushback from fans, there's an open question of what it would mean for former UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion Randy Couture. According to 'The Natural', he's been approached to return, but ultimately believes his best days are behind him.

"I was approached when Fedor [Emelianenko] threw his hat back into the ring after a four, five year layoff," Couture told Inside MMA on Friday. "I was the first one they came to. It's certainly something you have to consider and take seriously, but it's not really about money. I think one of the more rational decisions I've probably made in my life was the decision to step down and hang them up."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=UQ556yYowAU

LINK: Morning Report: Randy Couture says he's been offered a return to mixed martial arts

F*K Censorship

get what you can, then take the rest
Oct 27, 2015
With all the older guys fighting now id gladly watch Couture fight again, with that said, just not against Fedor or anyone im their prime. Randy vs Royce, Shamrock, Frye, Severn or even kimbo or Tito would be ok with me.

Star-Lord

Saving the Universe one Fight at a Time
Amateur Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I'm gonna get some hate for this, but I kind of like these masters fights. As long as they are fighting people from their era I don't have a problem with it, and it's nice to get nostalgic watching them compete

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm gonna get some hate for this, but I kind of like these masters fights. As long as they are fighting people from their era I don't have a problem with it, and it's nice to get nostalgic watching them compete
Same here. I enjoy watching the pioneers compete.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
LOL. He'll be 53 in a couple of months. I'm as sentimental as the rest, but this is something you think is a good idea only when you're drunk or stoned. Or a promoter.

Fortunately Randy seems to realize this.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
LOL. He'll be 53 in a couple of months. I'm as sentimental as the rest, but this is something you think is a good idea only when you're drunk or stoned. Or a promoter.

Fortunately Randy seems to realize this.
I think people forget how old he is because he was still competing at the highest level when he was like 49!! That is crazy to think about!! It seems like yesterday Randy, Chuck, and Tito were brawling in the octagon but it's been half a decade

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
I think people forget how old he is because he was still competing at the highest level when he was like 49!! That is crazy to think about!! It seems like yesterday Randy, Chuck, and Tito were brawling in the octagon but it's been half a decade
His longevity was no doubt impressive, TRT enchanced or not. But let's not get carried away.2007 was the last impressive fight from him, against Gonzaga back when Gabriel was still a force.

The fights after that, against Lesnar, Vera, Coleman, and Toney, and Machida (I forget the exact order) were pretty underwhelming. Toney was a defenseless noob, Coleman's body was effectively broken, Lesnar won by stoppage, Vera almost KO'd him, and Machida did KO him. The Nog fight (somewhere back in that group of fights) was exciting and all, but neither looked very good (Nog went like 2-6 after that, or something like that).

I think he did better than 90% of fighters in their late 40's would do against that level of competition, but at a certain point it was no longer inspiring.

I would love to watch him do a grappling exhibition match or something, but no real MMA. Shame on every promoter trying to get him back.

WoodenPupa

Feb 14, 2015
That is crazy to think about!! It seems like yesterday Randy, Chuck, and Tito were brawling in the octagon but it's been half a decade
Well, if we're talking about the time when all three were in circulation and fighting each other in that triad of revolving fights, that's been 10+ years. But I agree he was still a top fighter at that time, and all the way up to about 2006-2007. Which is incredible.

BanMe

Banished
Feb 9, 2016
Yeah, I'd definitely watch...but then I'd feel bad about watching =/