General Critical Race Theory

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
as far as privilege goes how do you explain that Asians are the most successful ethnic group in a majority white country. Or that African immigrants do better as a group as well. Clearly it’s not as simple as just color.
Also what privileges do you speak of that available to one color of person in this country that’s not to another. That’s been federally illegal for 60 years.

You’re altheitically gifted/smart are far bigger privileges than perceived ones from color.
if a white person gets their home appraised, it may get a higher appraisal than if that same home was done for a black person

that is an example of white privilege

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
They have free housing here
most homeless don't wanna be drug free or even follow the most basic rules

CRT is not being taught in schools. that is the main issue here. CRT is a squirrel of the corporate right. the corporate left has their own squirrels

did you know that Medicare For All is cheaper than private insurance? you wouldnt hear that from Tucker on Fox. and you wouldnt hear that from Jake Tapper on CNN either. they are both funded partially by private insurance company adds

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
CRT is not being taught in schools. that is the main issue here. CRT is a squirrel of the corporate right. the corporate left has their own squirrels

did you know that Medicare For All is cheaper than private insurance? you wouldnt hear that from Tucker on Fox. and you wouldnt hear that from Jake Tapper on CNN either. they are both funded partially by private insurance company adds
I don't know CRT, I do know the covid funds were used for all types of shit other than covid...not a fan of that.

I don't have any comment on medicare for all. I don't watch Tucker or Fox except for an occasional clip somebody posts.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
the real issue is white privilege, which is rea
If the problem is privilege, then your intent and goal should be to take the privilege away. It's something above the norm. Something wrong with that implied.

the world would be better if all races were granted the same privileges
But it's not. Your goal is to bring everybody to the same privilege. Bring them up. Meaning it's not really a privilege. There's no white privilege. There's black penalty. And I don't think this is just being pedantic. I think the term white privilege is needlessly inflammatory eliminates the empathy that would come along with pointing out the penalties black people face.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
if a white person gets their home appraised, it may get a higher appraisal than if that same home was done for a black person

"May" is the key word there. That being said, the higher the appraisal, the higher the taxes. That's not really a win.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
you know that Medicare For All is cheaper than private insurance? you wouldnt hear that from Tucker on Fox. and you wouldnt hear that from Jake Tapper on CNN either. they are both funded partially by private insurance company adds
I don't hate the idea of Medicare for all. I'd make plenty of money in either system so whatevs. And it would be a heck of a lot. Easier to see my Medicaid patients if they had Medicare. However, you would need to come up with a robust supplemental system which could exist, but you need to realize would have to. You have no idea how little regular Medicare covers neeed drugs.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
If the problem is privilege, then your intent and goal should be to take the privilege away. It's something above the norm. Something wrong with that implied.

But it's not. Your goal is to bring everybody to the same privilege. Bring them up. Meaning it's not really a privilege. There's no white privilege. There's black penalty. And I don't think this is just being pedantic. I think the term white privilege is needlessly inflammatory eliminates the empathy that would come along with pointing out the penalties black people face.
in other words, the term "white privilege" triggers people lol

got it

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
"May" is the key word there. That being said, the higher the appraisal, the higher the taxes. That's not really a win.
appraisals are used for two things: taxes and house sales

there care cases where people literally did this. and the appraisers gave much higher valuations when the experiment home was offered by a white person than a black person

were the appraisers straight up racist? probably not. but many of us carry implicit racial biases that we arent even aware of

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
appraisals are used for two things: taxes and house sales
I'm aware. The tax thing is a serious penalty. The sales thing is an over rated benefit because you're buying another house.

there care cases where people literally did this. and the appraisers gave much higher valuations when the experiment home was offered by a white person than a black person
I'm aware. They were handpicked and laughably performed.

were the appraisers straight up racist? probably not. but many of carry implicit racial biases that we arent even aware of
Implicit bias by its very definition can't be a part of any serious conversation because its not falsifiable.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. "You own a bakery. You're turned cleaning the counter and hear the door open. When you turn around there's a black man and a white man both standing there. Who do you serve first?"

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
I'm aware. The tax thing is a serious penalty. The sales thing is an over rated benefit because you're buying another house.

Implicit bias by its very definition can't be a part of any serious conversation because its not falsifiable.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. "You own a bakery. You're turned cleaning the counter and hear the door open. When you turn around there's a black man and a white man both standing there. Who do you serve first?"
don't forget how incredibly faulty and non repeatable those implicit bias tests are. They are a garbage diagnostic tool.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

implicit biases are difficult to test, but they are real

for instnace, a white kid and a black kid got into a fight in the bridgewater mall last year. cops ran over, separated them, had the white kid sit on a bench, and cuffed the black kid

were those cops explcitly racist? probably not. but why did they treat the black kid different than the white kid? an implicit racial bias

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpS8-YWNadE&ab_channel=CNN

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
implicit biases are difficult to test, but they are real

for instnace, a white kid and a black kid got into a fight in the bridgewater mall last year. cops ran over, separated them, had the white kid sit on a bench, and cuffed the black kid

were those cops explcitly racist? probably not. but why did they treat the black kid different than the white kid? an implicit racial bias

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpS8-YWNadE&ab_channel=CNN
You didn't answer the secnario I gave you, bruv

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017

i serve the closest person to me. or ask who's first

some people would speak to either the white person or the black person first due to racial bias

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
in other words, the term "white privilege" triggers people lol

got it

Do you care about properly describing the problem and pulling people over to your side or not?

To disregard that words are inflammatory or have context or even just actual definitional meaning in an attempt to paint your position as some aemotional logic is to reject all of human nature and how the greatest deal makers end influencers of history got things done. It's to squarely fail to understand how progress is made.

But sure, go ahead and just immediately disregard me...and then wonder why you keep screaming that everyone doesn't understand, are idiots and racists if they don't follow your lead.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

I see you're doubling down. So go ahead. What's the solution to this situation?

I would suggest that the black person is commonly being given a falsely low appraisal and should be given an accurate appraisal which would match the white person.

Is there some other problem and solution you are targeting?

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Do you care about properly describing the problem and pulling people over to your side or not?

To disregard that words are inflammatory or have context or even just actual definitional meaning in an attempt to paint your position as some aemotional logic is to reject all of human nature and how the greatest deal makers end influencers of history got things done. It's to squarely fail to understand how progress is made.

But sure, go ahead and just immediately disregard me...and then wonder why you keep screaming that everyone doesn't understand, are idiots and racists if they don't follow your lead.
sorry if i sounded dismissive. here's what i meant by that

- "Defund the Police" was terribly branded and ruined what could have been a good thing
- the same thing happens to discussions around racial issues due to the term "white privilege"

so i get that its an issue. but i suspect that the outcry to the term is more about disagreeing with the issue than the term

"black lives matter" is a similar example. i've had an asian friend tell me that that term sucks because it should be "all lives matter." i disagree with him tho

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
so i get that its an issue. but i suspect that the outcry to the term is more about disagreeing with the issue than the term
It's not. The term is wholly incorrect in the history and typical context it's been used in the United States. I'm literally for reparations via massive government investment in the black community and you're losing me on this subject.

The only time I've ever had white privilege was in Asia. No one should ever be allowed to feel like Leonardo DiCaprio being as ugly as I am. Fucking hell, no wonder rich celebrities lose their minds. A total mind fucked to be treated like royalty above the norm.

The term, when used and developed in the United States typically is used to describe situations where non white people don't get the same access to society's benefits that the majority white culture gets. These benefits are the default benefits. They're the benefits granted historically to 70 to 80% population. These benefits are not above the norm. They are the norm.
When black people are redlined it is not that white people had a privilege to not be redlined. White people got what everybody should get. And black people got excluded. Describing this as a privilege instead of a penalty is not accurate and is needlessly divisive.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
It's not. The term is wholly incorrect in the history and typical context it's been used in the United States. I'm literally for reparations via massive government investment in the black community and you're losing me on this subject.

The only time I've ever had white privilege was in Asia. No one should ever be allowed to feel like Leonardo DiCaprio being as ugly as I am. Fucking hell, no wonder rich celebrities lose their minds. A total mind fucked to be treated like royalty above the norm.

The term, when used and developed in the United States typically is used to describe situations where non white people don't get the same access to society's benefits that the majority white culture gets. These benefits are the default benefits. They're the benefits granted historically to 70 to 80% population. These benefits are not above the norm. They are the norm.
When black people are redlined it is not that white people had a privilege to not be redlined. White people got what everybody should get. And black people got excluded. Describing this as a privilege instead of a penalty is not accurate and is needlessly divisive.
dude, i am not versed on this kind of stuff. so the term is not a hill i am going to fight on, let alone die on. its just a two word combo to me. i didnt double down on the term above lol. i had just already forgotten that some people dont like that term. i will try not to use it going forward

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
"black lives matter" is a similar example. i've had an asian friend tell me that that term sucks because it should be "all lives matter." i disagree with him tho
Yah, the all lives matter thing came off as an effort to diminish the movement, and avoid agreeing that black lives matter.
The movement is specific, thusly the name.

The answer to the question, do black lives matter is "Of course." Not "All lives matter."

It's no different than going up to a breast cancer fundraiser and complaining that all cancers are bad.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
This thread is getting pretty miserable. I want to say a lot, but I'll say a little.

K @kaladin stormblessed here's a good article I'd suggest you read on the realities in black politics by one of the foremost political scientists on earth. It's long, but I think it will be helpful. I see your heart is in the right place, but there's a subtle paternalist poison pill in your argument that I know isn't your intention.

Kingtony87 @Kingtony87 Kamala Harris' family does not descend from a black slaveowner, but a white slave owner in Jamaica who had children with the enslaved people he claimed ownership of. The opposite claim is part of a viral meme that was amplified in part by a group I study. They similarly amplified her mother's familial status as Brahmin caste, which is true. Further, you make some good points about the universal nature of exploitation experienced by multiple ethnic groups at the hands of people who both look and sound like them and don't. It is a good argument to think through why social classes come into being, how they are maintained and what layering identity over them does to confuse things.

Splinty @Splinty you did the reading and it shows.