Cub Swanson: ‘I felt like I was going to die’ from Brian Ortega’s choke

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Cub Swanson had a lot riding on his bout with Brian Ortega this past weekend in Fresno. It was the last fight on his contract, and a win would have left him much closer to an elusive title shot. Instead, Ortega managed to finish him with a brutal guillotine choke in the second round.

When asked about the choke at the event’s post-fight press conference, Swanson didn’t mince words (via MMA Fighting):

“I felt like I was going to die.”

In the first round of the fight, Swanson implemented a strong striking game for the first four and a half minutes. Ortega managed to secure an anaconda choke though, and it looked dicey for Swanson. He described how he was able to get out of the round in that situation:

Cub Swanson: ‘I felt like I was going to die’ from Brian Ortega’s choke

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
He didn`t get out of it ....the round ended.Joe Rogan is notorious for this shit shouting "he escaped" when the truth of the matter is that the fighter let go.

Look at the weight and the additional pressure on the neck from squeezing & there you have yourself a finishing submission.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This to me seemed like another fight where a young, tough kid with alot of chin left, was fighting a seasoned vet who imo is a better fighter, but the youth, size humbleness was just too much.

I am curious though.
When I see statements like this out in the open with a new contract with whom ever pending, I wonder if these statements are strategic in any way; particularly for fighters' safety awareness.

kneeblock @Kneeblock , did I use that apostrophe correctly?^^^

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
"I felt like I was going to die."
- Everyone Who Has Ever Had Brian Lock On To Their Neck

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Pretty strong case in point tbh.....in Ortegas
last fight it was relatively close until he submitted whoever it was, but it was one of those “oh shit, wtf, did the other guy quit?” moments

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
This to me seemed like another fight where a young, tough kid with alot of chin left, was fighting a seasoned vet who imo is a better fighter, but the youth, size humbleness was just too much.

I am curious though.
When I see statements like this out in the open with a new contract with whom ever pending, I wonder if these statements are strategic in any way; particularly for fighters' safety awareness.

kneeblock @Kneeblock , did I use that apostrophe correctly?^^^
Cub was only better at 1 facet of the fight and that was boxing..BUT t city was much better at his strength of grappling..Brian was holding his own striking but that can't be said about cub in the grappling..Cub has peaked and Brian is getting better every fight..Cub def isn't the better fighter imho

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Cub was only better at 1 facet of the fight and that was boxing..BUT t city was much better at his strength of grappling..Brian was holding his own striking but that can't be said about cub in the grappling..Cub has peaked and Brian is getting better every fight..Cub def isn't the better fighter imho
I don't like to watch Brian walk through punches, even if he can.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I don't like to watch Brian walk through punches, even if he can.
You can tell he's getting use to fighting at range..I agree that he needs to work on head movement and in making clean entries for his grappling

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
Even in the first round, you could see absolute panic on Cub's face when that choke tightened up. Since Cub is a badass veteran, I'm going to assume that's because Ortega has a scary squeeze.

I'd never really paid much attention to Ortega before, other than to note that he looks like a villain from an 80's teen movie. Even his name and especially his nickname just sound like someone who would have tormented Ralph Macchio or Anthony Michael Hall at the arcade or in the school hallway.
That said, between his in cage performance and his post fight talk, I'm now a fan.

802kmighty

Sub adubba dub dub!
Aug 25, 2015
I had fallen asleep for most of the main card so I had to rewatch it on a crappy recording with tweaked sound I've seen all but the Knight vs Bentiz fight now.
I had woke up for the replay so even knowing what had happened when i rewatched the fight I was still on the edge of my seat.The first few minutes of pawing at each other and circling wasn't my cup of joy but I still was eager to see them open up.When the end of first round choke happened I thought damn I must have mistaken the round lol!
Exciting match Cub is still a bad ass but that long neck he has was Oretegas target we all knew it Cub knew but couldn't defended it.Still gonna tune into a Swanson fight definitely want to see Brain do his thing over and over again.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
Even in the first round, you could see absolute panic on Cub's face when that choke tightened up. Since Cub is a badass veteran, I'm going to assume that's because Ortega has a scary squeeze.

I'd never really paid much attention to Ortega before, other than to note that he looks like a villain from an 80's teen movie. Even his name and especially his nickname just sound like someone who would have tormented Ralph Macchio or Anthony Michael Hall at the arcade or in the school hallway.
That said, between his in cage performance and his post fight talk, I'm now a fan.
I`ve seen him do a few "Gracie Breakdowns" with Rener on Youtube.

*IIRC the UFC asked them not to do anymore because it featured PPV footage.

802kmighty

Sub adubba dub dub!
Aug 25, 2015
I`ve seen him do a few "Gracie Breakdowns" with Rener on Youtube.

*IIRC the UFC asked them not to do anymore because it featured PPV footage.
I was wondering why I seen them for so long.I used to love those.I remember they had them do some for cable I think right after the fox deal.