Cub Swanson pumps brakes on UFC 233 rematch with Jose Aldo, suggests February

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

Cub Swanson isn’t ruling out a rematch with former featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo, but he’s not down with the reported timeline for it.

Swanson (25-10 MMA, 10-6 UFC) today posted on his Twitter account that a UFC 233 meeting with Aldo (27-4 MMA, 9-3 UFC) is not in the cards for him. Instead, Swanson is suggesting a fight three weeks later at the UFC’s first card on big ESPN, which takes place at Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix.

“I love this fight but unfortunately somebody spoke too soon,” Swanson posted. “I am not fighting on 233 but I am willing to do it February 17th on ESPN 1.”

View: https://twitter.com/CubSwanson/status/1069648744516210688?s=20

Swanson and Aldo first fought in June 2009 at WEC 41. In that fight, Aldo landed a flying knee and put Swanson away in just eight seconds. Aldo went on to win the WEC featherweight title in his next fight with a TKO of Mike Brown.

Aldo eventually became the UFC’s first featherweight champion when the WEC and UFC merged. He defended the title seven times before he lost it to Conor McGregor at UFC 194 nearly three years ago. He won an interim title in July 2016, then was promoted to full champion again. But in June 2017, he lost the belt to current champ Max Holloway and lost a rematch to him, as well.

Swanson had an up and down run after the loss to Aldo, but then went on a six-fight tear in the UFC with four knockouts and four post-fight bonuses over a stretch of two and a half years. Back-to-back losses to Frankie Edgar and Holloway took him out of title contention.

He bounced back with four straight decision wins, but currently is on a three-fight slide with a submission loss to upcoming title challenger Brian Ortega, a decision loss in a rematch with Edgar and a submission loss to Renato Moicano at UFC 227 in August.

Swanson also has been busy with fatherhood with twin boys he just had with wife Kenda Perez, giving them three children.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo4tHPfBxex/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=i24qxijb5rur

The current UFC 233 lineup includes:

Champ Henry Cejudo vs. T.J. Dillashaw – for flyweight title
Ben Askren vs. Robbie Lawler
Islam Makhachev vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Paul Felder vs. James Vick
Yana Kunitskaya vs. Marion Reneau
Joanne Calderwood vs. Ariane Lipski
Alexandra Albu vs. Emily Whitmire
Cynthia Calvillo vs. Cortney Casey
Alex Caceres vs. Kron Gracie

Full story here:

With thanks to Filthy @BrianOrtegaScrotumSurfer for the find.

Nov 21, 2015

Cub Swanson isn’t ruling out a rematch with former featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo, but he’s not down with the reported timeline for it.

Swanson (25-10 MMA, 10-6 UFC) today posted on his Twitter account that a UFC 233 meeting with Aldo (27-4 MMA, 9-3 UFC) is not in the cards for him. Instead, Swanson is suggesting a fight three weeks later at the UFC’s first card on big ESPN, which takes place at Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix.

“I love this fight but unfortunately somebody spoke too soon,” Swanson posted. “I am not fighting on 233 but I am willing to do it February 17th on ESPN 1.”

View: https://twitter.com/CubSwanson/status/1069648744516210688?s=20

Swanson and Aldo first fought in June 2009 at WEC 41. In that fight, Aldo landed a flying knee and put Swanson away in just eight seconds. Aldo went on to win the WEC featherweight title in his next fight with a TKO of Mike Brown.

Aldo eventually became the UFC’s first featherweight champion when the WEC and UFC merged. He defended the title seven times before he lost it to Conor McGregor at UFC 194 nearly three years ago. He won an interim title in July 2016, then was promoted to full champion again. But in June 2017, he lost the belt to current champ Max Holloway and lost a rematch to him, as well.

Swanson had an up and down run after the loss to Aldo, but then went on a six-fight tear in the UFC with four knockouts and four post-fight bonuses over a stretch of two and a half years. Back-to-back losses to Frankie Edgar and Holloway took him out of title contention.

He bounced back with four straight decision wins, but currently is on a three-fight slide with a submission loss to upcoming title challenger Brian Ortega, a decision loss in a rematch with Edgar and a submission loss to Renato Moicano at UFC 227 in August.

Swanson also has been busy with fatherhood with twin boys he just had with wife Kenda Perez, giving them three children.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo4tHPfBxex/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=i24qxijb5rur

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo4tHPfBxex/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=i24qxijb5rur
The current UFC 233 lineup includes:

Champ Henry Cejudo vs. T.J. Dillashaw – for flyweight title
Ben Askren vs. Robbie Lawler
Islam Makhachev vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Paul Felder vs. James Vick
Yana Kunitskaya vs. Marion Reneau
Joanne Calderwood vs. Ariane Lipski
Alexandra Albu vs. Emily Whitmire
Cynthia Calvillo vs. Cortney Casey
Alex Caceres vs. Kron Gracie

Full story here:

With thanks to Filthy @BrianOrtegaScrotumSurfer for the find.

Cub Swanson does not want to fight. Some guys are fighters and some guys
just aren't. Cub doesn't want to fight. - Egg

PS - He was also never my friend

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
He’s gonna get put on fight pass prelims against an un-ranked opponent because of this

I hope he called my friend Dana first

M

member 3289

I can't believe the UFC announced a fight before it was signed...