Curriculum?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Star-Lord

Saving the Universe one Fight at a Time
Amateur Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Do any of you guys have copies of your curriculum that is used at your academy? I'm trying to build out a couple for mine and like to compare notes. I think I'm going to implement 4.

Basic Curriculum (To Blue Belt)
Intermediate (To Purple)
Pro (To Black)
MMA

M

member 603

Oh I struggle with this one monthly. The way we've been doing it has been working the last two years really well. Keep in mind, we do it this way because Jon is one of Royce's guys, so we do what we do to "honor the ole ways".

For our youth program, it's been a monthly rotation of...
Mount Top (Full/Side, can be offense or defense)
Mount Bottom (Full/Side, offense or defense)
Guard Top (any guard, mostly passing)
Guard Bottom (any guard, sweeps and subs)
Takedowns
Self Defense/Anti Bullying

We rotate that cycle twice a year.

For adults, I lead the Tuesday/Thursday night classes (I have teens class at that time on Monday, and run competition team training on Wednesday and Saturday). For my Tuesday class, it's 15 minutes of warmups, then 40 minutes of Gracie self defense system, followed by 40 minutes of sparring.

Thursday is 10 minutes of warmups, followed by 15 minutes of takedowns (judo/wrestling/sambo), then I focus on one attack/defense for the month (like this month it's triangles, from every position, offense and defense), that's done for 35 minutes, then I finish with 30 minutes of sparring.

I do it this way because, it's not my gym, so I can't set a full gym curriculum, but I can cater my classes to how I want them to learn. It seems to be working good for me, and the students have been excelling at a good rate.

Now the comp team, that's 15 minutes of cardio/conditioning, 25 minutes of position drills, and 20 minutes of sparring. Usually I address the issues I see in competition and focus on that.