Cutman 'Stitch' Duran explains why he spoke out against UFC-Reebok deal

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omshm5Omvks

Why did Jacob “Stitch” Duran feel compelled to speak out against the UFC’s deal with Reebok, which ultimately prompted the organization to cut ties with the veteran cutman on Tuesday?

According to Duran, it was simply the right thing to do – both for him and his fellow fight-night officials.

Duran, a frequent MMAjunkie Radio guest host, today joined the program in studio to confirmhe’s split with the UFC and to discuss the ensuing blowback from fans and fighters.

“It got to the point where I was trying to speak up for the cutmen, and being the leader and bringing this up and talking to the guys at the UFC, we had no clout whatsoever; we weren’t even in the equation of getting sponsorships, and I personally depend a lot on my sponsors to make it work (financially),” said Duran, who was barred from wearing outside sponsorships on fight night as part of the UFC-Reebok deal that went into effect earlier this month. “So, of all the cutmen, I would have lost more financially.

“But speaking up for the cutmen, I tried to talk to the UFC, and they basically had told us there’s no more money in the kitty.”

Duran subsequently did interviews with MMAjunkie Radio and BloodyElbow.com to voice his frustrations over the new requirements.

It proved to be the nail in his proverbial coffin, and Duran said an unnamed UFC employee told him he’d no longer be used on fight nights because of what he said about Reebok.

For their part, Reebok officials today stated they weren’t involved in the decision (via Twitter):

View: https://twitter.com/Reebok/status/623931268837847040

“I didn’t say anything wrong,” Duran said. “I stated my opinion, and we as cutmen should be compensated for wearing Reebok. How can you wear Reebok and not get paid? To me, that’s just not right, plain and simple.

“But I think the reaction that the fans have done and coming out and creating a firestorm, I don’t think the UFC was equipped to handle that. And I’m the fall guy, man. (I’m) taking a bullet for the team, brother.”

LINK: Cutman ‘Stitch’ Duran explains why he spoke out against UFC-Reebok deal | MMAjunkie

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Reebok found them selves on the end of a scape Goat...

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
He spoke out because he felt he wasn't appreciated by the UFC. Everything he said points to him over valuing his worth.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
"How can you wear Reebok and not be paid?" - Stitch Duran

Nothing more even needs to be discussed. Whether he overvalues his worth, isn't even in the equation because he's certainly worth more than zero.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
He spoke out because he felt he wasn't appreciated by the UFC. Everything he said points to him over valuing his worth.
I think stitch has a lot of value that guy can be the guy who saves a fight by covering a cut properly, that to me is big.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
From Burt Watson's Blog;

With a career that started in Boxing more than 30 years ago the time, the experiences and some of the people I’ve met have rarely been able to withstand the test of time and make their mark as someone the fighters can depend on.

Nothing I’ve ever learned, or the skills I have honed into a profession, have ever had a guide book or a manual on “How To Get It Done”. This was not only true for me but most of the people around me. Athletes, sparring partners, trainers, seconds, and most importantly cutmen.

There is no manual, no School of Medicine or Medical Degree. It was done OJT (On The Job Training) and in the Gym. It took time, dedication and stone cold commitment. You had to show up in a Gym, make yourself known, hope for the opportunity and then get the comfort level that you know what the hell you’re doing.

Back in the early days of Boxing and MMA, men like Al Gavin, Leon Tabbs (former UFC) Don House, Rudy Hernandez and Stitch Duran were all there from the beginning. They worked every day in the gym, got fights and chances when they could and made it work with no mistakes. It all came down to word of mouth and how good you were in your last fight. That’s how you got your next job and how you perfected your skills.

And it is truly a skill. It’s a form of art and precision that you only learn with experience and working corners. A good Cutman can be the difference between winning and finishing a fight. The difference between legacy, legends, working and not working again. You get one chance to do it and one chance to mess it up.

But when you get it right, there will always be a spot. There will always be a next fight and there will always be that request for you and your style that has become your image. It’s important to remember that cutmen come and go but that talent for perfection that track record relating to success and the integrity to speak out when things go wrong only exists in a few. That’s what differentiates the legends from the journeymen and those who will be quickly forgotten from those who leave a lasting legacy

And once again, I didn’t read this in a book. “This is how it is”…

- See more at: Rollin’ with Burt Watson: Legends & Legacy