Dan Hardy against banning oblique kick, says fighters sign ‘death waiver’ when competing

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Dan Hardy doesn’t want to see oblique kicks removed from MMA.

During an appearance on Submission Radio, the former UFC analyst was asked what he thought of the technique that led to a gruesome finish in a light heavyweight bout between Khalil Rountreeand Modestas Bukauskas this past Saturday at UFC Vegas 36.

In the second round of a fight that Rountree was winning, he caught Bukauskas with a perfectly-timed oblique kick just as the Lithuanian fighter was stepping towards him. Bukauskas dropped to the mat in pain and the bout was immediately stopped. The finish drew a number of instant reactions from fighters on social media, with several questioning wither the move should be banned from competition.

Others saw no issue with the move, including Bukauskas, who put the onus on himself for not defending against it properly. Hardy is on the side of those saying the move is perfectly fair.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
A good rule of thumb in life is not to gain wisdom from people who give their amateur finger paintings as wedding gifts.

I would be fine with oblique kicks IF this was NHB. That would be ideal. But in this bastardized version of the sport we call MMA, it doesn't make sense to ban grounded knees, 12-6 elbows etc. but then allow a technique with such a high chance of causing crippling, long-term injuries.

ender852

Posting Machine
Jan 31, 2015
If you're going to allow heel hooks that do similar injury, how can you ban these? It's like the striking version.

DarthBader

Strikeforce lives baby!
Feb 6, 2021
I got a better idea, why dont we make the fighters wear pillows instead of gloves, so they dont get CTE, while we are at it we should have them wear a doubleset of headgear each and all the women should do cake baking contests in the ring instead of fighting. Also the refs should have cute little marshmellows for the losing fighter after each bout.

Check that, why not get rid of judges as a whole and hire three 7 year old girls who just screams yaaaay during the fight, this way we are all winners.

And why not give the cage some brighter more positive colors? I suggest we use this beautiful flag I just found: Gay_Pride_Flag.svg.png and also make it mandatory for the fighters to wear dresses into the ring, this way we get rid of all the toxic masculinity that's attached to combat sports.

And instead of touching gloves why dont the fighters start out with hugging and kissing eachother to show that they truly really love eachother and to showcase their individual diversity.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I got a better idea, why dont we make the fighters wear pillows instead of gloves, so they dont get CTE, while we are at it we should have them wear a doubleset of headgear each and all the women should do cake baking contests in the ring instead of fighting. Also the refs should have cute little marshmellows for the losing fighter after each bout.

Check that, why not get rid of judges as a whole and hire three 7 year old girls who just screams yaaaay during the fight, this way we are all winners.

And why not give the cage some brighter more positive colors? I suggest we use this beautiful flag I just found: View attachment 45795 and also make it mandatory for the fighters to wear dresses into the ring, this way we get rid of all the toxic masculinity that's attached to combat sports.

And instead of touching gloves why dont the fighters start out with hugging and kissing eachother to show that they truly really love eachother and to showcase their individual diversity.
You spent too much time and energy on that post.

No one here gives a fuck about your ridiculous tirades.

Calm the fuck down and try to add something constructive to the conversation.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
If you're going to allow heel hooks that do similar injury, how can you ban these? It's like the striking version.
It would be the striking version if you could tap to a strike before the strike did damage.