Dana: "We let Sage Northcutt go"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018

“We let Sage go,” White told UFC Unfiltered. “Sage is young and Sage needs some work. Let him get some work in some other organizations and we will see where this kid ends up in a couple of years. Maybe we will pick him back up again.”

The “needs some work” critique is a bit surprising when you consider that Northcutt (11-2) is the winner of three straight, including last July’s blistering knockout win over Zak Ottow at UFC Boise. That pushed his Octagon record to 6-2 with three finishes.

Dana White: We let Sage Northcutt go, he’s young and needs some work

I'm surprised by this. Even though Sage was nowhere near top-10 level, he was an attraction. Cards that he appeared on did good TV viewership numbers. Oh well, ONE Championships gain, no doubt.

Muridae83

Posting Machine
Nov 3, 2016

“We let Sage go,” White told UFC Unfiltered (via MMAnytt.com). “Sage is young and Sage needs some work. Let him get some work in some other organizations and we will see where this kid ends up in a couple of years. Maybe we will pick him back up again.”

The “needs some work” critique is a bit surprising when you consider that Northcutt (11-2) is the winner of three straight, including last July’s blistering knockout win over Zak Ottow at UFC Boise. That pushed his Octagon record to 6-2 with three finishes.

I'm surprised by this. Even though Sage was nowhere near top-10 level, he was an attraction. Cards that he appeared on did good TV viewership numbers. Oh well, ONE Championships gain, no doubt.
dunno why you are suprised by this... Dana already said this in interviews since a while back... its a business strategy nothin more nothin less.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Did he still have fights on his contract? I thought he was a free agent. You didn't let anything "go", Dana.

At best it's trading Sage for Ben with ONE FC lol.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Member ESPN asking Dana who the next GSP or Anderson Silva might be, and him name dropping PVZ and Sage? Good times...

Last edited:

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Let sage go = sage is a free agent and wants to be paid. They know sage isnt going to shit talk mr white so they are going to make it sound like it is their doing.im sure chatri sityotong flashed some fat stacks to sage when he was over in singapore last week

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
I wish Sage had spent some time in the other promotions prior to coming to the UFC, but from a marketability standpoint, the UFC is silly (SILLY I tell you!) for not doing what they need to keep him. He is going to be a sensation in Asia. The UFC may not have the chance to get him back.

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
they overpaid him early, so he had the tip in against the ufc negotiator asshole. as he tried to ease that thing in a bit deeper, they panicked because they couldn't tell if he was a keeper.

MovinOn

Canis lupus familiaris
Jan 3, 2018
he isnt that bad. he just isnt as good as the sold him to be
Agreed. Golly, Mr. Jason73, he's only 22 years old and he's already got 8 UFC fights under his belt. That's swell. For all we know, the guy has never said a swear word (for frick's sake), had sex or eaten a butterscotch sundae. He's got a lot of growing up to do still, and he might become a top-tier MMA guy one day, who knows? Shucks, can't knock him for his drive and ambition.

Last edited:

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
sage should just start pumping out B list action movies like segal and van damme. he should get a netflix deal and retire

ejlarson

I like chicken
Jul 4, 2015
I imagine Sage signed with someone else and Dana is just trying to get in front of it with is usual lies.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
they overpaid him early, so he had the tip in against the ufc negotiator asshole. as he tried to ease that thing in a bit deeper, they panicked because they couldn't tell if he was a keeper.
He's on a 80k/80k last fight, he won his last 3 and his contract ran out, so he was getting paid more on his next one and they figured out it wasn't worth or panicked like you said

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

“We let Sage go,” White told UFC Unfiltered (via MMAnytt.com). “Sage is young and Sage needs some work. Let him get some work in some other organizations and we will see where this kid ends up in a couple of years. Maybe we will pick him back up again.”

Fuck Dana. When is he going to just fucking disappear.........?

JESUS CHRIST ALREADY!

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
“We let Sage go,” White told UFC Unfiltered.

Well ... kinda
UFC made sage an offer in July & Sage turned it down
When he was legally allowed to negotiate elsewhere, he did
He received offers from everyone & One made him the best offer
He went back to UFC (they had matching rights) & they declined.
He is expected to sign with one, unless someone like Bellator beats their offer

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Here is the clause:

ARTICLE XII
RIGHT TO MATCH

12.1 During the one (1) year period after conclusion of the Term for any reason whatsoever (the "Matching Period"), ZUFFA shall have the option to match the financial terms and conditions of any offer made to Fighter for an Other Bout as defined in Section 3.6 of this Agreement. Fighter shall not accept any offer or enter into a contract or agreement with any other promotional entity during the Matching Period without complying with this Section 12.1. Prior to acceptance of any Offer made during
the Matching Period, Fighter shall first deliver to ZUFFA a written notice of all material financial terms and conditions of the offer, including, but not limited to, the identity of the promotional entity making the offer. Such notice shall constitute an exclusive, irrevocable offer (the "Fighter Offer") to contract with ZUFFA on the same financial terms and conditions. ZUFFA shall have fifteen (15) business days following receipt of the Fighter Offer in which to accept the financial terms of the Fighter Offer. If ZUFFA does not accept the Fighter Offer, Fighter may then accept the offer without modification during the ten (10) business day period following expiration of the Fighter Offer (the "Contract Period"). If the offer is modified in any material way, such modification shall give rise to another Fighter Offer on such modified terms and conditions and ZUFFA shall have the option to match the terms of the offer, as modified in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Section 12.1. If Fighter has not contracted with a third party on or before the conclusion of the Contract Period, then all rights granted to ZUFFA pursuant to this Section 12.1 shall be automatically reinstated.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Here is the clause:

ARTICLE XII
RIGHT TO MATCH

12.1 During the one (1) year period after conclusion of the Term for any reason whatsoever (the "Matching Period"), ZUFFA shall have the option to match the financial terms and conditions of any offer made to Fighter for an Other Bout as defined in Section 3.6 of this Agreement. Fighter shall not accept any offer or enter into a contract or agreement with any other promotional entity during the Matching Period without complying with this Section 12.1. Prior to acceptance of any Offer made during
the Matching Period, Fighter shall first deliver to ZUFFA a written notice of all material financial terms and conditions of the offer, including, but not limited to, the identity of the promotional entity making the offer. Such notice shall constitute an exclusive, irrevocable offer (the "Fighter Offer") to contract with ZUFFA on the same financial terms and conditions. ZUFFA shall have fifteen (15) business days following receipt of the Fighter Offer in which to accept the financial terms of the Fighter Offer. If ZUFFA does not accept the Fighter Offer, Fighter may then accept the offer without modification during the ten (10) business day period following expiration of the Fighter Offer (the "Contract Period"). If the offer is modified in any material way, such modification shall give rise to another Fighter Offer on such modified terms and conditions and ZUFFA shall have the option to match the terms of the offer, as modified in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Section 12.1. If Fighter has not contracted with a third party on or before the conclusion of the Contract Period, then all rights granted to ZUFFA pursuant to this Section 12.1 shall be automatically reinstated.
Lol one year. What an absolute joke

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
So Sage bailed the first moment he was legally allowed to, and Dana tries to spin it like it's his decision. Lol, what a knob.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
So Sage bailed the first moment he was legally allowed to, and Dana tries to spin it like it's his decision. Lol, what a knob.
The Dana being a knob part is obvious, but it wasn't that Sage bailed, he went back to UFC to match the ONE offer & they didn't.

But I find the whole scenario funny
People used to bitch that Sage was over-paid because he was their "golden boy" & now they are bitching that UFC is cheap by not paying the overpaid fighter even more

Truth is, Sage was not really overpaid, but the fighters they liked better were underpaid IMO

Last edited:

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
Lol one year. What an absolute joke
Its a thing that many believe could be won in court
Bellator had 18 months, but supposedly the last few years they seemed to negotiate different terms with different fighters.
I haven't hear or read anything in a few years (if that changed)